Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suppressed 45 cal thumper ideas

Boolit Master

Suppressed 45 cal thumper ideas

A good friend and I have debated the perfect suppressed set up for quite a few years. Given the low velocity needed, we figured a 429 to 454 cal would be the best, along with a large meplat. He decided to submit his paperwork for a 45 cal can this week. 500 s&w is ruled out because most of the 50 cal cans are for the bmg, big and expensive. He is looking at an encore bbl chambered in 45 colt from mgm. I figured I could make some dummies for mgm to throat the bbl for optimum fit.
    I like the 350 gr noe mold, but it isn't in the files I downloaded to quick load. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to push this boolit to 1050 fps in an encore. It would be over saami pressures, but I don't think that would be a problem in an encore.
    We debated the 300 whisper and ruled it out, based on a 30 cal maybe tumbling, maybe not. The idea is for a relatively short range, reasonably quiet thumper that would give good penetration and maximum leakage on deer, pig, and black bear sized critters.
    He's looking at an m4 style grip for the encore, along with the sig brace to build a psuedo sbr that would be in compliance with current atf rulings and still be compact, maybe a 10" bbl.
    Anxiously awaiting the thoughts from this knowledgeable group.
    Last edited by tommag; 07-06-2017 at 12:30 AM.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    A good friend and I have debated the perfect suppressed set up for quite a few years. Given the low velocity needed, we figured a 429 to 454 cal would be the best, along with a large meplat. He decided to submit his paperwork for a 45 cal can this week. 500 s&w is ruled out because most of the 50 cal cans are for the bmg, big and expensive. He is looking at an encore bbl chambered in 45 colt from mgm. I figured I could make some dummies for mgm to throat the bbl for optimum fit.
    I like the 350 gr noe mold, but it isn't in the files I downloaded to quick load. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to push this boolit to 1050 fps in an encore. It would be over saami pressures, but I don't think that would be a problem in an encore.
    We debated the 300 whisper and ruled it out, based on a 30 cal maybe tumbling, maybe not. The idea is for a relatively short range, reasonably quiet thumper that would give good penetration and maximum leakage on deer, pig, and black bear sized critters.
    He's looking at an m4 style grip for the encore, along with the sig brace to build a psuedo sbr that would be in compliance with current atf rulings and still be compact, maybe a 10" bbl.
    Anxiously awaiting the thoughts from this knowledgeable group.
    While I have not played with the 45LC, I do alot of suppresed development with 45acp and 45 win mag. I settled on 2 cast bullets the first is an LBT 280GR LFN and the second is an accurate molds bullet I designed http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-300H-D.png
    I stayed @ or under 300gr so I could use both bullets in the acp. What length barrel is he planning to run? Also what can will he be using? Both of those questions have a big inpact on sound suppression. In the LC a 350gr bullet @ 1050fps is not hard but you need to choose powder carefully. I find that a powder that burns 95-100% at the end of the barrel gives best sound, yes you could use a fast powder depending on the barrel length. Do you guys have access to Quickload? If so it will be a big help in working up loads with specfic bullets and powders.

Boolit Master
    I went with a .460 SW Katadyn encore barrel so I could still throw big bullets fast, but could also chuck subsonics. As soon as my stamp gets approved (September? October?) I'll let you know what suppressed well, but for now it shoots 255gr cast lead just fine over 8.0gr Unique. Extracting .45LC empties is a pain, so the next round will be loaded deep into a .460 case. I have a recipe scribbled in the back of my Lyman's manual that calls for 10.0gr of Titegroup bhind a 395gr LFP at 1100FPS in a .45LC case and marked with the words ENCORE ONLY. I've not been brave enough to try it but supposedly it works fine in a well-built rifle. I have a small bag of 440gr PC bullets that I intend to try over Unique as well.

My plan is to stick to PC lead or copper plated to keep my Hybrid cleaner.

Boolit Master
    I have ql, but the file for the 350 wasn't in my download file from noe. I had picked a 10" bbl from my hat, figuring the expansion ratio of the 45 colt wouldn't add anything with a longer bbl. I don't know what can he's planning on buying, but he mentioned visiting them in Austin, Tx., next week while on a business trip.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    While I have not played with the 45LC, I do alot of suppresed development with 45acp and 45 win mag. I settled on 2 cast bullets the first is an LBT 280GR LFN and the second is an accurate molds bullet I designed http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-300H-D.png
    I stayed @ or under 300gr so I could use both bullets in the acp. What length barrel is he planning to run? Also what can will he be using? Both of those questions have a big inpact on sound suppression. In the LC a 350gr bullet @ 1050fps is not hard but you need to choose powder carefully. I find that a powder that burns 95-100% at the end of the barrel gives best sound, yes you could use a fast powder depending on the barrel length. Do you guys have access to Quickload? If so it will be a big help in working up loads with specfic bullets and powders.
    That's a good point I had not considered regarding powder burn percentage at the bbl length. I'll keep that in mind while playing with Ql.

Boolit Master
    He's looking at buying this suppressor.
    https://www.silencershop.com/silence...vers-458.html?

Boolit Buddy
    Playing with the noe .452-342/ 452-350-PP bullet you can go with N105 and hit 1092fps @ 21500 psi and is a 99.16% burn with muzzle psi of 2482. Looks interesting to start with.

ADMIN

I have a yankee hill sidewinder 45 can.

It is great with a little water in it on my 1911 shooting 230 gr RN lead
    It does OK with 40 cal out of my UMP shooting 180 grain lead (@1100 fps)

I haven't tried it with 9mm yet

Banner Sponsor

Here is the print for the NOE 454-350

Boolit Buddy

He's looking at buying this suppressor.
    https://www.silencershop.com/silence...vers-458.html?
    This is too much can for a subsonic 45LC load. I'd go with a modular and user serviceable 45 cal (pistol) can. You'll get a lot more use out of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IraqVet1982 View Post
    This is too much can for a subsonic 45LC load. I'd go with a modular and user serviceable 45 cal (pistol) can. You'll get a lot more use out of it.
    It looks like too much can for this project, but he's thinking on using it on a couple different bbls. I don't know about user servicable. If it's a sealed unit, it doesn't look like a good candidate for cast boolits.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate 45-290H with 3.5 grains of Bullseye in .45 ACP brass, 700 fps from 20" barrel, exits bore every time, does not need a "can" to be quiet. Accurate enough for 100-yard head shots in 20-inch twist barrel.

Attachment 199337
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-07-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

It looks like too much can for this project, but he's thinking on using it on a couple different bbls. I don't know about user servicable. If it's a sealed unit, it doesn't look like a good candidate for cast boolits.
    Bowers Vers 458 is NOT user serviceable - you can clean a sealed suppressor - but you will have to do it in several steps -
    1) to get rid of lube use boiling water soak
    2) to get rid of powder / carbon solvent soak
    3) to get rid of Lead - the very dangerous "DIP" (Don't expose you skin to it)
    (make sure to properly dispose of used product)
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

I am thinking about doing are canned thumper also but it will be on an AR platform in 458 SOCOM or a 450 Bushmaster.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Radi...-fhr16-458.htm
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-07-2017 at 02:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Accurate 45-290H with 3.5 grains of Bullseye in .45 ACP brass, 700 fps from 20" barrel, exits bore every time, does not need can to be quiet. Accurate enough for 100-yard head shots.
    I bet that is quiet. A mouse fart in a longer barrel is a much simpler approach.

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    My vote is for a 45 acp with a can on the ar-15
    I just bought a dedicated lower receiver which takes grease gun mags
    Planning on reaming it out to 460 Rowland so I can hunt with it

Boolit Master
    Not picking on anyone or anything necessarily, but there be a few things to ponder here. A subsonic thumper is a bit of an oxymoron. Placement is key to success with subs and it doesn't matter a lot what the caliber or bullet form. Flat point bullets still generate supersonic flow field velocities at 1050 fps. They do get quieter around 950-1000 fps.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Flat point bullets still generate supersonic flow field velocities at 1050 fps.
    I'm glad you said that. 1050 f/s seemed a little close to the sound barrier, to me.

If the rounds are to be used in a single-shot, a projectile with better ballistic coefficient could help offset trajectory issues with 900 - 1000 f/s loads. Might also dissipate the supersonic flow field velocities encountered with the flat-points (guessing).
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Having problems with the computer at the moment and can't put a picture up. Try a search here on the site for .30 Sneezer and there might be a picture of a bullet that does ok at 1050.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I bet that is quiet. A mouse fart in a longer barrel is a much simpler approach.
    The 20" barrel is mild, but my Beretta 912 folding shotgun with .45 ACP with 28" barrel is REALLY quiet without a can...

Attachment 199370

Here you can download an MP3 with sound showing how quiet the rifle is:

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris...Rook_bunny.avi
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-11-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast