Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: what to do with primed brass?

Boolit Buddy

what to do with primed brass?

I was gifted 100 pre primed .357 mag brass today by a friend. His dad used to reload and had these laying around. The problem is, I don't know what type the primers are. They could be mag primers or they could be standard ones. I use blue dot for my .357 loads. Would it bother anything if they were mag primers? If it is the better idea to remove them what is the preferred method? Touching them off doesn't sit well unless you want to jam a cylinder up (don't ask how I know). Decapping live primers sounds like a little to much excitement. So what say you?
    Quickshot

Boolit Buddy
    Two ways I think. 1. Fire them off in a revolver. Or load up a couple and see what they do.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You can either push them out with a decapping pin, slowly, or you can load them with a less than maximum charge of your chosen powder and shoot them for plinking loads.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    You can either push them out with a decapping pin, slowly, or you can load them with a less than maximum charge of your chosen powder and shoot them for plinking loads.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    This.....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Yeh, that's the down side of reloading and not taking and marking your loads. Only you know what they are. I'd de-prime the cases, it will cost more than $.04 per to shoot them and what you only have 100. By the time you get a load going you'll be out. Be safe shoot the primers next time you are at the range.

You may want to read this article, it explains pretty well the use of magnum vs standard primers is various .357 loads

https://www.loaddata.com/Article/Ben...stol-Loads/331

I say load them with a starting load and shoot them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    +1 especially if you have a Ruger!

Boolit Master

"Load with a starting load and shoot"--sounds good to me. Should not make much difference in pressure at that level, so should be safe. Plinking loads.

Boolit Grand Master

I would just load and shoot them. However, I have removed lots of live primers without incident. Just run your case into the sizing die or universal decapping die in the normal manner. Slow, steady and smooth. Safety glasses are a good idea. Maybe even wear a glove. I've even decamped military cases with crimped in primers. Just go slow and smooth.

Boolit Buddy

Load shoot and enjoy.

Boolit Master

When primers were in short supply and the only pistol primers available to me were magnumpp, I inquired of one of the powder companies. I asked if I would be ok of I used a starting load reduced 2 tenths of a grain. They said go ahead.
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

start at a minimum load and load them..

I've fired standard and mag primers in 357. I prefer mag primers.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    This is my thinking too. Light/low starting loads of Blue Dot even with magnum primers will be safe. But if you're unsure/very concerned just size/decap the brass as normal...

(I have experimented with magnum primers with Blue Dot to upper magnum loads, 14.5-15.0 gr. with no problems).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Agree, load shoot, enjoy! Repeat!

Boolit Master
    if you don't want to shoot lead out of them and waste lead and powder...make some hot glue boolits and load those without powder , primers only.

they are accurate to 15 yards and hit hard enough to take out rats ....neighbors cats....neighbors (mostly bruises)

no.... don't shoot the neighbors.

but in the garage with a boolet catcher....and a grandkid to teach gun safety to....they are quite fun!

Boolit Master
    357 Magnum rounds do not necessarily need magnum primers. Look at the Speer reloading handbook and you will see that they actually recommend standard primers for lots of their 357 Magnum loads. This shouldn't be surprising when you consider that a 357 magnum is really just a slightly lengthened 38 special case. That is, the 357 Magnum really isn't quite so "magnum" as some other magnums. Load and shoot.
    Hick: Iron sights!