RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need some martini cadet help.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    that would be Simplex , they manufacture and sell reloading dies and equipment from thier website . I have three sets of thier dies and find them excellent quality .
    My 310 dies are the Lee ones ,they work ok.
    Simplex do list .310 Cadet dies, and although I didn't want to buy anything at the moment, I tried out their website as far as finding a menu of countries, and saw nothing about not exporting.

http://www.simplexreloading.com/

A while back an Australian firm I dealt with, Ammodump, discontinued Simplex moulds on the basis of irregularity of supply. That may have been connected with the death of the founder, just as the American NEI, whose products I liked very much, suffered after the death of Walt Melander. Both were a long time ago, and there is every chance that they have recovered. My only Simplex dies, for the 5.6x50R and purchased around the time aforementioned, are certainly extremely satisfactory.

I left the target at the range, I will take a few pic's of the rifle , boolit and case soon and post em.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Cadet Help

Here is a few pic's of the 310, it was advertised as converted to 32-20 but there's no way it could have been, it will only chamber the short cases 1.020 or so. The 321 NOE ( drops .3225 ) will just nicely push in the case and I use the old Winchester reloader to deprime & prime case and add some RED DOT. Gotta make up a few more cases, I stopped after 7 to see if they would work. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schumi & 310 cadet 014.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	202964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schumi & 310 cadet 016.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	202965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schumi & 310 cadet 017.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	202966
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails schumi & 310 cadet 015.jpg   schumi & 310 cadet 013.jpg  

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Simplex do list .310 Cadet dies, and although I didn't want to buy anything at the moment, I tried out their website as far as finding a menu of countries, and saw nothing about not exporting.

http://www.simplexreloading.com/

A while back an Australian firm I dealt with, Ammodump, discontinued Simplex moulds on the basis of irregularity of supply. That may have been connected with the death of the founder, just as the American NEI, whose products I liked very much, suffered after the death of Walt Melander. Both were a long time ago, and there is every chance that they have recovered. My only Simplex dies, for the 5.6x50R and purchased around the time aforementioned, are certainly extremely satisfactory.
    Simplex is back in business the daughter is now running the business .

Boolit Master
    Well the latest developments
    Got the rcbs mould and it casts 323-324 and 312 on the heel straight up first run.
    Attachment 203747
    Well forgot the wads I had been using but good results I think.
    Couldn't shoot that well today for some reason.
    May need a different target to shoot at or at least try to shoot the middle next time instead of the bottom.
    My fuzzy regulated eye balls think let me down a bit.
    Most were shot fireforming cases and I shot a couple of extras here and there if one went astray.
    Both alox and dip lubed worked well with no leading till I used 4 gns unique.
    Cleaning revealed specs of lead.
    Attachment 203748
    4 grns ap50 strung vertically and horizontally.The previous paper patchedfixed load works well for about 5 and then needs a patch out thou.
    Dropped it back a tenth grain or so and "walla" good load. Show sings of minor primer flow and rubbing on extraction but not bad.
    Attachment 203749
    Bulleye and Unique show promise too.
    Of course in reply to Enfield.
    Attachment 203750
    My ever alert faithfull companion Sally.
    Ohh I bored her to sleep too.
    Ha.
    Apart from a bit of tweeking and maybe a light honing out to a slightly larger diameters later on I think I'm done.
    I may knurl the heel and see how I can get better fit into the fired cases but we will see.

Bruce
    Last edited by barrabruce; 09-10-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Lee make a 310 cadet reloading die set.

Boolit Master
    Still getting some funky stuff in the first couple of inches of the bore and some loads leading.
    Maybe small.
    I'll have to rub some bullets between a file and see if it a bit fatter helps.
    My alox coated ones worked alot worse than the lubed ones which is strange as they aren't traveling that fast.

A few photos.
    Attachment 204192
    You could say about average. A lot of changing strong wind and then calm today so you could say it sort of wanting to group.

Attachment 204193
    Shot this lot as fixed ammo mild bullseye load and then breachseated some more rounds into it.
    Clustered quite nicely and filled in the group nearer the corner of the sticker.
    Cleaned barrel and it went to pieces on me after that.

Attachment 204194
    Trying to be artistic again.
    The group is actually 9 as I took one apart to verify the load.
    It did however give me lead streaks when I cleaned the barrel after the grouping.
    If I ever sort this thing thing out I'll post something.
    I have no ideas anymore except to make the groove bullet area larger and see if that helps.
    If it does then a hone out of the mould is in order.
    Any thoughts?
    And there I was thinking I was going to do something.
    Ha!
    Thanks for reading all this
    Barra
    PS I put a glob of silver solder on the front sight and filed it to make it apear as it should have been all them years ago.
    Hopefully I'll be able to get a better aim with a finer sharp /\ front sight.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 09-17-2017 at 02:36 AM.

Boolit Mold
    One of my Cadets had a damaged front sight so I added weld and reshaped it. I took measurements from a good sight and produced this drawing to shape the new one to:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cadet foresight.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	204203

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Have you tried 2205?

I was using a CBE mould, Alox lube and about 10 grains of 2205 (cannot remember the load exactly, I have had a break from shooting rifles). Leading had never been a problem. Accuracy could have been improved on, if I had kept trying.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the sight measurements.
    I built it up and its a bit pointy at he moment but at least I can adjust it to centre now.
    I figured out if I move the rear sight 0.0054" = 1MOA.
    I left my verniers at home but will take them next time.
    Of the 3 x rear sights I have they are all different in the marks between 50-600 yrds as into height.
    jumping over the place and doesn't correspond to any bullet drop. IE: between 200 and 250 yrds it could be only 9moa but next 250-300 ydrs 15 moa and then drops back again to 6 moa.
    Definitely something askew.
    Maybe people filed one down till it hit the target for a load they were working on. Who knows.

I have made a chart that corresponds to how much moa the marks represent and how many thousanths of inches I need to move it up or down.
    See how good I am at trig after 30yrs absence.
    No leading last time out and I think I need to hone the mould out a little bigger on the rear band to engage the throat. The nose fits nice and secure.
    I have nearly worked out one load and need to play with wads and lube till I get it to shoot.
    I don't want to use dacron on this case.
    All are shot unsized and tumble or dipped lubed.
    Attachment 205672

I did try the 9 gn 2205 load and it left a lot of unburnt powder down the bore.
    Not impressed with the grouping either.
    Bullseye and adi ap50n seem to be the winners so far.
    2.8 gns bullseye seems to be a very mild load but shoots well at 50 yrds if I can tweek it some more.
    All in all getting better.
    now wheres that beagle thread.
    Hmmm

Anyone tried 2400 ?? I have a 5 lb drum I need to use up. I don't shoot my 44 mag much any more ..

Boolit Master
    9.5 gns 2400 supposed to give 1370fps with 120 grns
    Attachment 206047

Boolit Master
    Attachment 232207
    Modified a 30-30 lee loader I got cheap for parts today.
    I can size cases down now to seat a bullet.

Be better if I could make the mould a thou or two bigger on the base band and the heal 4 thou bigger.
    They would be a snug fit in the fired brass and fit the throat perfectly..

The wheels of industry are turning slow around here.
    I may even get to test them out soon.

Sure are opening a can of worms these 310’s when they arn’t Just std anything much.
    Ha

Ohh I got 3rd again in the rook and rabbit event this year.
    May have to get serious if I wanna beat the other 2 blokes.
    They have it well sorted out in the rifle department.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 12-17-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123