Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: I have $60 cabelas points to put towards a melting pot...which one should I get?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

I have $60 cabelas points to put towards a melting pot...which one should I get?

Heading there tomorrow and am looking at their offerings. I see the Lee 20lb pro, the 10lb prescion, which has the best reviews, a Lyman on sale for $32, and the Big Dipper only comes in a kit for some reason.

I ever had a bottom pour before but am leaning towards the $69 10lb Lee vs the 20lb.

Will my devistator mold fit under both the 20lb and 10lb Lee?

Which one should I get?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-16-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    My opinion is the 20 lb bottom pour Lee. I have a 10 and 20 pound bottom pour and found that the smaller one is good for pure lead, while the bigger one is good for all other casting. You still have to pay attention to what you're doing, but the bigger one takes a bit longer to empty. I generally let it get about one third empty before I add more ingots.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

RCBS Pro Melt, I have had the Lee and gave it away after using a friends Pro melt. Got the pro melt and it is 16 years old and never had a problem.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    ILSA MEMBER
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    RCBS Pro Melt, I have had the Lee and gave it away after using a friends Pro melt. Got the pro melt and it is 16 years old and never had a problem.
    Cabelas doesn't carry it.

I want stick under a $100

to bad for Cabelas and there customers D Crockett

Looks like the Lee 20lb pot bottom pour. I've always done it from the stove top with a 10lb pot in he past or I have had the plug n pour type that holds about 3lbs.

Boolit Master
    I've used the Lee 20 lb pot for years.They drip a bit at times but they get the job done.The drip problem can be dealt with.

They didn't have any in stock.

Saved my points and ordered a Lee 4-20 from Natchez. They are on sale for $62.99

Banned
    Before you buy anything from Cabellas go to raise.com. You can buy gift certificates for up to 14% off face value and use online or in store as cash. It only takes a few minutes to get the code.

I think you made a good choice, with the 10 you have to regulate the flow by hand, on the 20 you have twice the capacity and you can regulate the flow with a flat screwdriver. * when you get about 1/2 way down the pot you will need to open up the flow due to less presure in the pot.

I'm not a big fan of the shelf so I wrapped a 2x4 with steel (cutting a notch to go around the front post) and use that for the shelf if I 'm using a shallower mold I just add a piece of plywood under the 2x4 to adjust the height, not hi-tek but fuctional

I ladle cast so no opinion on bottom pour but I think you will like the 20# pot. I try to replace lead at about 1/3 down, I think the larger capacity holds a more consistent temperature. A single pre-warmed 1.5 lb. ingot can be added without a significant dip in the temperature in the pot. So essentially I can replace as I use OR take it down to 2/3 remaining and take a little break.

The 20 lb. pot is a bit more to re-cast as ingots when draining the pot if you tend to do smaller batches. Myself I tend to plug away at it for awhile until I have a pretty big pile before cleaning out the pot for something else.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Make sure to lap the valve to the rod. Use somethinf mildly abrasive like ajax paste or even toothpaste. I chucked my valve rod in a drill and did it just like engine valves, lifting every few secs. Mine has NEVER dripped

I think you made a good choice for the money, my 20lb pot has been well used over the years and still going