Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oregon bound and I need help

Oregon bound and I need help

Moving from Colorado

Need help in what I need to know while looking for a job

Colorado has become too caustic and I am a native

I work in law enforcement now and as an electrician while maintaining the custody/control of an officer over 2 level 5 (maximum) prisons

Oregon does not recognize my Colorado electrical license so I would have to retest and that is no small feat.

Looking for support from some Oregon folks hopefully.

Looking at Colton area (clackamas county) initially.

Any help/encouragement is greatly appreciated
    BullFrog

The Lord is my rock and my salvation

Joel 2:28-32

Banned

"Colorado has become too caustic and I am a native"

God speed, I wish you well, but Oregon is worse than Colorado as far as "caustic" goes, in my opinion. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Boolit Master

We can always more LEOs in Oregon.
    Stay away from the north and bigger cities if you want to avoid the Libs.
    Ashland is the most liberal city in southern Oregon....dale

Boolit Master

Why? IMHO you're going from the frying pan to the fire. If you're on Facebook then you need to find Lars Larson. He's the biggest conservative radio talk show host in the PNW. Read his page then decide if you really want to move to Oregon.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

I am a naïve Oregonian. I lived in Oregon many years and was a LEO there for 18 years. I always planned on retiring and living in Oregon the rest of my life. Oregon has been thoroughly Kalifornicated. As mentioned, you think Colorado is "caustic", wait 'til you get to Oregon. The property and income taxes are out of sight and getting worse, the gun laws are getting as bad if not worse than Kalifornia. The libtards totally run things, even in what many think are rural conservative areas.

While I still own property there I will not live there.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

If you're thinking you're going to buy some property out in the country and build a house in Oregon you're screwed. They have very restrictive land use laws. You have to have a minimum of 80 acres, you have to show farm income for 3-5 years...BEFORE you're allowed to beg the Government masters for a building permit, a permit that they probably won't issue.

http://www.oregon.gov/lcd/pages/farmprotprog.aspx

Or you can find land that has a grandfathered house on it. BUT, you'll not be allowed to expand that house, you'll be lucky if they allow you to even remodel. If something happens to the house you'll probably not be allowed to rebuild.

I lived in Oregon for 25 years. Almost half my life. I'm a child of the Pacific NW. I too had at one time planned on retiring and living in Oregon or Washington for the rest of my life. However the politics and cost made the decision for me. I've very happy here in Texas.

BTW, if you're a hunter and you're used to Colorado you're going to be very disappointed in Oregon. The one thing Oregon has that Colorado doesn't is salmon fishing.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. Oregon is a nightmare. Clackamas/Washington/Multnomah counties are asylums for the insane leftists of all ages. Portland is still "Little Beruit". Wouldn't move here if I wasn't already stuck with a brick and mortar business and professional contacts that I rely on to keep working. Retirement, if it ever happens for me, will lead me the heck out of this state finally.

You fellas aren't painting a very pretty picture for this Oregon bound Bullfrog...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

You must be at Limon, I did a triple nickel at sterling as a master plumber so I can understand where you are c coming from

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    You fellas aren't painting a very pretty picture for this Oregon bound Bullfrog...
    better to know before jumping in with both feet. regullarily chatting with someone from clackamas, it doesnt sound good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I considered posting my thoughts on OR (particularly the east side), but honestly don't really want the flak from the anti-OR's.

Edit: lefty_o, I've sent you a PM.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 06-28-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    I considered posting my thoughts on OR (particularly the east side), but honestly don't really want the flak from the anti-OR's.

Edit: lefty_o, I've sent you a PM.
    sent you one back

Vendor Sponsor

Bullfrog you have received much good advice here from people IN Oregon. What I saw says don't in HUGE letters
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    It might not pay as much as the Portland metro area but I would look east of the mountains. Avoid Eugene as well. If you thought Colorado was leftist, the Portland area is insane like Seattle. "Moscow on the Willamette" is a particularly apt nickname. The future of Oregon economically is also not bright since the Democrats have made it an economic house of cards waiting for the slightest breeze due to the PERS system that arguably may be worse than California's or Illinois'. Hard to beat the scenery and recreational opportunities in Oregon, however. I will be abandoning Washington State's winter steelhead fisheries in favor of Oregon's from now on.

Boolit Master

Pot to the fire IMHO. Find a state that will accept your electrician license. Then look for LE job. Definitely not another west coast type attitudes.

Boolit Master

Go forth and raise 10 conservative children there. We must turn the tables!

Boolit Grand Master
    Colorado has Kokanee(sp) salmon fishing. Blue Mesa lake (not far from me) has it along with lake trout

Boolit Master

Kokanee are descended from salmon, but they are not salmon. Salmon require a trip to the salt.
    Semper Fi!

Boolit Master
    Kokanee are landlocked sockeye salmon. If they are given an opening to sea, away they go. The reverse is true if you stick premigration sockeye in a lake where they can't find their way out, they become kokanee. This is why the little salmon taste so good and smoke so well. This is making me hungry.

Want another opinion? Well, perhaps another experience would be a better description. Here's my Oregon story:

Moved here in 1988 from Calif. as a medically retired LEO. While the injury was not fun, the pension was adequate. I worked in jack-of-all-trades building maintenance for three years, then went into full time gunsmithing. Business was pretty good because Oregon is a big hunting state, plus lots of folks just like guns. I stayed at it for 15 years, but it would slow down in the winter and I started looking for supplemental employment. I could have gotten by, but have never been one to waste time. I got into the armored truck industry as a driver and messenger, and soon the gunsmithing started getting squeezed down to the supplemental job! Actually, I really enjoyed the armored job, going here and there, usually not on the same route two days in a row, and observing "The People of Walmart". When I reached 63 I retired again and we moved from a beautiful 30 acres in the Coast Range where the property taxes were $1,800 per year to a small town in the Willamette Valley where the taxes on a .485 acre lot and a 3 bedroom 2 bath home were $2,500. I built a shop in the back yard, and after living there for 11 years, last year the taxes were $4,035. I could afford them if I wanted to pay them, but I don't, so I just completed a move to the Cascade Mountains where I have 2.5 acres, a very nice manufactured home and a 30' x 40' shop. Last year the taxes were $800, but I anticipate them possibly going as high as $1,500 because the sale price will cause a re-assessment. But perhaps not. So, it is true, that in parts of Oregon the property taxes are outrageous. Now I can see snow capped mountains from my kitchen window and a deer or two walk through my little meadow every morning and evening. I'm sure the winters will be cold and memorable, but it's worth it to me. I'm laying in a huge pile of firewood, and will spend my time hibernating and reading the Castboolits Forum.

But, on the plus side: There is no sales tax. If the item is marked $2.50 that is what you pay. The cost of vehicle registration, be it brand new or 35 years old is $86 for TWO years. The last year I lived in Calif., 1988, my wife had a 1986 T-Bird and I had a 1987 Dodge Raider (still have it!) and between the two the fees were $1,000 for ONE year. So the savings there, between sales tax and vehicle registration are worthy of consideration.

There is a lot of great fishing and hunting, but the hunting regulations -- more so the various zones, seasons, tags, drawings, and regulations are such that, although I was a Hunter Ed Instructor for several years when in the gunsmithing business, I never hunted as I previously had in Calif. There are guys who wait half-a-lifetime to get an Elk tag and then don't see one. Deer hunting is less complicated.

Of interest to you, my son-in-law is a Deputy Sheriff with 15+ years on the job. He makes a good salary in a mid-state county, and my daughter works in a CPA tax business. Between them they seem to do very well. Law Enforcement is kind of hard to get in to. You haven't indicated what your age is, but the older you are the more difficult it is to break into the field, because some agencies prefer to train a recruit to do things their way; and then of course, there is the consideration of will you have enough time left to pay into a pension plan. More agencies, like Portland P.D. are requiring a B.A. degree. On the other hand, electricians seem to stay pretty busy. I do believe that there is economic opportunity for those willing to work.

What you've been told already about the politics is right on. There are three heavily populated counties in the northern part of the state that are
    deep blue, as are several of the major population centers. Because of the large voting block they pretty well control the state's politics, although the other 85% of the state is decidedly red and conservative. Baring some unforeseen event happening to change their minds, it will likely never go back the other way because you can't outvote them. But if you live in one of the red areas, and again--that is most of the state geographically speaking, you'll meet lots of nice people and get along well.

So, next year I will have been here for 30 years. I have no regrets, and would do it again. Best of luck to you in making your decision and move.

DG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast