MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1978 Winchester 94 on the way

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    If it were that bad...WHY...WHY...WHY... did you buy it?

Honestly...were you that foolish.

Say what you want...most Winchester rifles were of pretty good quality...they were not the junk that you make them out to be.
    Agreed. I've had several M94s, half of which were post '64, and all of them worked flawlessly. Even the ugly post '64 that seemed to be about ready to fall apart worked perfectly and shot accurately. It made meat twice within 24 hours the first time I ever took it hunting, too. One shot DRTs on both deer.
    OTOH, I have also had several Marlins and about half of them had functional problems; most commonly a jam caused by interference between the loading gate, lifter and cartridge stop. None of these have been Remlins either.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Everyone has different experiences I suppose. All my Marlins have been flawless, especially my super accurate cheapo Glenfield 30. Anyhow, I'm glad that I finally found a "good" 94 as I love the design.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    From what I observed. The only 94s I encountered having a factory tang peep install were Win {rifle model's} having a 26" barrel. Seldom have I witnessed a factory mounted tang peep on the 20" barreled carbine. As the carbine was considered by many a short range up close sporting rifle. Having open barrel sights was sufficient for that purpose.

Although the mounting of a modern receiver peep is a handy gadget to have at dawn & dusk for those who wear glass's and prefer not too mount cheater glass on their 94.

As far as (my) preferred powder. Tried em all at one time or another. Ball powder seemed to give the best performance or so I've though. AA- 2230 was the winner over all the others for me. Use that powder for three of my 30-30s. (Savage 1899 & Win (rifle) 1905 built 1894 model & Win 1937-94 carbine.)

BTW. Shooting G/c cast having mediocre hardness is fine & dandy at moderate speeds. But if wanting to shoot a softer cast oh so easy to expand at speeds of a modern jacketed. Consider the paper patching technique.

Boolit Master
    99.99%+ of the complaints I've seen about Winchester 94 reliability have been speculation, and not based on experience at all. I like Marlins, especially how easy it is to remove the bolt to access the breech end of the barrel. But what makes a good design is not subjective, and the Winchester 94 is a more reliable design. That's why the worst-fitted post '64 M94 still functions reliably, while a poorly fitted Marlin does not.
    I'm talking about pre-angle eject 94s btw; I have no experience with angle eject and later so cannot comment on those.

I find tang sights to be in the way. Fine for range work but not hunting in my opinion at least. My 1954 model 94 has a Williams 5D on it that I installed. It's the business for close range hunting. I've had two post 64s- a late 60's model that had the receiver finish problems but otherwise a good shooter; and a 1981 Trapper that was cosmetically perfect but the best group I got was 5" at 100 yds. Down the road they went. I actually prefer the Marlin 336 Texan above the Win 94 but the 94 was my dads so IT is my lever action. Your new- to -you model 94 looks good. My favorite 30-30 powder is IMR 3031 for cast or jacketed.
    Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    99.99%+ of the complaints I've seen about Winchester 94 reliability have been speculation, and not based on experience at all. I like Marlins, especially how easy it is to remove the bolt to access the breech end of the barrel. But what makes a good design is not subjective, and the Winchester 94 is a more reliable design. That's why the worst-fitted post '64 M94 still functions reliably, while a poorly fitted Marlin does not.
    I'm talking about pre-angle eject 94s btw; I have no experience with angle eject and later so cannot comment on those.
    I'm with ya on the loose fitting post '94 Winchesters and before angle eject !!! I do have one angle eject in .44 mag and it does really good! Bought it NIB
    in 1994 !!!! Nice gun spade wood ! but the post 94 work well when they get some mileage on them !! Most all the Winchesters I shoot are pre 64s and pre
    Million Mark !!! The old ones never seem to change to the Loose and Junk type gun!!! could be the Iron they are made out of!!! Lot of Pride was put into the Old Winchesters during there Manufacturing !!!!!!Glade I have what I got and I shoot them all and all the 94 calibers ...32-40 & 38-55 are at the top of my list

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Thought I would post an update on my rifle. I have shot it a fair amount and it likes the Lee C309-150-RF and IMR 4895 just as much as my Marlins do. My local gunsmith has some aftermarket forend bands with an integral sling swivel. I got one and it works great. Only thing I don't care for so much on this rifle is how tall the ramp mounted front sight is. The ramp is soldered on so putting a shorter ramp on it would be above my abilities. I put a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it which is not actually for this rifle but fits perfectly. Unfortunately, the elevation screw ran out of elevation. A receiver sight actually made for the 94 will probably correct it, I think I have a spare Lyman 66 in my little gun junk yard.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I do have a Lyman 66, however the front sight is still way too high for it. The original front sight is about .345 high. Found a NOS Redfield .260 front sight with white bead on Fleabay for a good price so I ordered it.

I had to go with a lower front sight as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It's no big deal, I've been swapping sights on rifles for years. Marble's are my favorite, I also have a couple of Redfield Sourdoughs in the collection.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 01-02-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Co

Boolit Master
    I collect pre 64 model 94's. but I have a 72 94 carbine I use for everyday. it is just as reliable as the pre 64 rifles.

I like the Winchester 94. Thinking about getting one again. Marlin is a better rifle, side eject, smooth action, can easily be scope mounted which is great for older eyes, and the one I have with a Ballard rifled barrel shoots bout any cast I put through it. 94's are just great old rifles. I have not ha any problems shooting cast of about any type out of my Marlin or the Winchester I had. Tried 150 grain Lee, 120 grain Lee and a 188 grain bullet. All shot with no real hassle finding a load.

DP

The 94 has a very natural, intuitive feel like a fine shotgun when I shoulder it. As much as I love my Marlins, they just don't have it. I also like how slim n' trim the design is. It's the .30 caliber centerfire that carries like a .22.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My local gunsmith has some aftermarket forend bands with an integral sling swivel. I got one and it works great.
    Congrats on the 94. I have one of about 72 vintage Im interested in hearing more about the sling swivel. Is it a swivel stud, or an integral loop? If you dont mind telling, what do they charge for such?

~Bazoo

One very popular combination seen with Win 94 users is my neck of the woods was with a receiver sight and the screw in aperture thrown away. Not only see these a lot on the used gun racks but I am old enough to hear about it speaking to those that used the 94. Its really not that popular of a rifle anymore. Seems the levers get bought as an "extra" for a pick up gun or back up gun. I have seen a lot of them that may not have shot more than a couple of boxes of shells. They are also bringing premium prices on the used shelves. One reason I am only considering at this point.

DEP

From what I can tell, most people who have 94's are holding on to them, they aren't being used for trading stock nearly as much as they used to be. Same for JM Marlins. Used to be the case that every gun and pawn shop had a rack of low mileage 94's and 336's collecting dust. Not the case anymore, and when they do come available they sell fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Congrats on the 94. I have one of about 72 vintage Im interested in hearing more about the sling swivel. Is it a swivel stud, or an integral loop? If you dont mind telling, what do they charge for such?

~Bazoo
    The sling swivel is an aftermarket forend band with an integral sling swivel on the bottom. PM sent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12