Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: contender

Boolit Buddy

contender

I just picked up a contender with 3 barrels 10'' 357 maximum a 10'' 30/30 and a 15'' 45 win custom shop of the 3 which would be the best hunting barrel

Whichever one you are most accurate with.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    They all have their place. I think 10" is a bit short for the 30-30, gonna leave a lot on the table in performance. I think a 15" is a bit of "overkill" for the 45 WM. I'd like to see those lengths vice-versa. The 10" 357 Max is like Goldilocks, just right

Boolit Master

Now that starline makes brass I would run with the max
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I think all three would do well. My 10" 30-30 barrel is wicked accurate and performance on deer is still very good out of the 10" barrel in my limited experience. I also like the way the 10" barrels carry for hunting versus the longer 14".
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I'd go with the max too. The 3030 is no slouch either, had one , only downside is the muzzle blast is a bit more than necessary, no big thing. I like the 10 inch barrels also, traded my 3030 for a 30 herrett in 10 and found a 14 inch 300 cause I missed my 3030. That 15 could grow a permanent muzzle brake and make a fine carbine barrel, think 4570 lite!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Super Moderator

The 30-30 would be my pick. It's a lot more flexible than you might think when using cast boolits. Lots and lots of boolit weights to choose from. I use the Lee TL314-90 for small game and plinking, and a plethora of other boolits for other needs. Everything from mice to moose.

In 2000 I put a nice 10 point whitetail on the wall with a 10" SSK Industries .357 Max barrel. I used a 158 grain XTP Flat Point with a healthy dose of H110 at 65 yards. The Max would be my choice too.

Perma-Banned

I had the .357Max, sold it, swapped to the 30-30 and have not missed the Max. However, the Max or the 30-30 will get the job done...or .357 mag, for that matter.

Boolit Buddy

I have both, 30-30 and 357 SM-Max in 10". They both do very well and in both cases you need to reload to get the most out of them. The 357 does well across a wider range of loads where the 30-30 has to be tailored to shoot well out of 10". Heavy bullets, above 150 with medium-fast rifle powders is the ticket in 30-30. The 357 SM does well in the 180-200 bullet weight range. I also have two 30 Herretts and they will perform nearly the same as the 30-30 with a little more powder flexibility and they get good performance with less powder. Really don't have a favorite, they are just different enough that I like having them both.

The 30-30 does well for me!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    357 Max+1
    Leadmelter
    MI

Just rechambered my new 44mag to 44-56WC AKA.....44VH Super LoL way cool stuff

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    I have messed with all three at some time or another.
    The 357 max probably has a throat 1/3 as long as the case. It may or may not shoot.
    The 45 win mag may be the best shooter, being from the custom shop. Not a sure thing, but possible.
    The 30-30 could be a good shooter, even at a 10" barrel. As mentioned it can get blasty. Yea you will loose some velocity but not as much as some will have you believe. I got my best groups and speeds with standard 30-30 loads out of my 10"and 14".

If nothing else you have some pretty fair trade fodder if they do not make you feel warm and fuzzy.