RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Accurate 3100 in .308, 200gr boolits

Boolit Mold

Accurate 3100 in .308, 200gr boolits

Hello everyone!

I am new to casting and reloading, so is my equipment.
    Have been reading the forum before I bought the equipment.
    So I wonder:
    .308, 25" barrel rifle,
    1 : 12 twist
    Choice of projectiles would be either
    Lee C309-200R(EDIT: Gas-checked, maybe polymer coated) or
    190gr match J-word
    Would like to try both - boolit for 300yd max, J-word over 300yd.

I've got Fiocchi rifle primers(non magnums) and
    a pound of Accurate 3100(actually, Lovex S062, but it is Accurate3100 under other name - or so I heard). And absolutely no load data other that Richards Lee rule of thumb on reduced loads (from His book).

How should I approach this load to keep myself, my rifle and other shooters around me intact?
    Last edited by DanWoz; 05-03-2017 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Added gas-check information

Boolit Man
    Accurate 3100 is very likely way too slow for your application. there are dozens of powders that will fill the bill much more efficiently. Start by getting a good reloading manual rather that getting all your information from the internet-some of it is good but some is rather dubious. I would rather put my trust in published data from a reputable source. Good luck and welcome to casting and reloading.

Varget or H4895 to start. Go to Hodgdon reloading page for loads - use starting jacketed (or look for youth loads for plinkers).
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    There is a section in Lee's book just for cast bullets. I have been using IMR 4350 with a 200 gr lead boolit in my .308 and it seems to work pretty well.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you reloading for a semiautomatic OR a boltaction rifle ?

Boolit Mold
    I am reloading J-word now, gave up on experimenting - first I am learning how to do it standard way. Cheers!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Many years ago when I still had the Remington 788 in .308 Winchester . I used that powder with the Lyman 311334 and didn't have any issues . It did have a ten inch twist If that makes a difference to you .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master
    If you check the powder burn charts, I believe you will find the 3100 close to 4831

Boolit Mold
    I have used MR 3100 quite a bit in my 308 M1 launching the Lee 200. It's burning rate is very close to 4831 so start with that data. In my rifle 37.5 gr gave a bit over almost 1900 fps, perfect function and 2.5 MOA out to 200 yards. The only issue I had was getting that coarse powder to run through my powder measure.

Super Moderator

A3100 powder is the cat's meow in my Rem 700 30-06 with 200 grain paper patched cast boolits. As others have mentioned it's close to IMR 4831 in burn rate. PP is a whole different animal though. With paper patching we typically start with the minimum listed load for a given weight for jacketed bullets, and work up. I can get top velocity with excellent accuracy with it. Too bad it's been discontinued, as I don't have much of it left.

Banned

the LEE is a bit too parallel sided for the velocity's you'll get with the 3100.
    If I were to give it a go I would start at about 42-43grs with a filler of Dacron [.5-.7grs] and work forward.
    3100 burns best with some compression on the powder, so the Dacron will be a big help in keeping the bits and pieces cleaned up.