MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Summer lube

Boolit Master

Summer lube

So after a lot of bad experiences with LLA and some unknow red lube I made a batch of Felix lube for my 45acp that had worked very well until recently. Now that it's ungodly hot here in southern Georgia this lube is starting to build up in my chamber and causeing my cartridges not to seat all the way after about 20-50 shots. Is there a better stiffer lube I should use or just add more beeswax to this batch and label it summer time lube? Keep in mind I'm shooting lots of rounds on 98+ degree days.
    Last edited by sutherpride59; 07-10-2017 at 09:00 AM.

I use satins lube, and the recipe calls for equal parts of beeswax and paraffin.
    6 parts beeswax
    6 parts paraffin
    6 parts Vaseline
    1 part ivory soap shavings.

When it gets hot here in Ohio, 80+, I use a higher % of paraffin (9 parts paraffin). It has a higher melting point and stays firmer at higher temps. Keeping in mind that this works for 45/70. Plenty on 90 deg+ days here in summer and it works for me. Only experimentation will tell if it will work in your acp.

I know the Felix lube recipe does not call for paraffin, but maybe make a small batch and use half beeswax, and half paraffin? Or even a batch that uses all paraffin instead of beeswax? It could work for you on those 90deg+ days.

Would prob do no good for you to add more soap. The only thing soap does is act like a binder for the other ingredients in the chemical makeup. I have found it only makes more suds when cooking, but does little to alter the consistency.

Boolit Master

I appreciate the suggestion but in all my reading in the lube section on this forum everyone says to stay away from parafin to stiffen your lube, it doesn't transition through a plastic phase when it get warmed up like the other waxes, it just goes from solid to liquid instantly. So while I do appreciate the advise I already know from a previous failed lube project that throwing parafin in there is very not the answer lol.

Moderator Emeritus

My first suggestion is SL68B
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...how-to-make-it

If hunting down some microwax doesn't excite you, then here are a couple suggestions for Mod'ing your version of Felix.
    specifically see post #4 and #5
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-recipe-please

I will also add, that if you read through the Felix lube threads, you might see where He and sundog made a "big batch" and that included paraffin...but later they called it micro-paraffin. I suspect it was a type of microwax.

lastly, after re-reading your OP, and mention of lube buildup in chamber, I'd first try making a new batch of Felix with more soap content.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by sutherpride59 View Post
    I appreciate the suggestion but in all my reading in the lube section on this forum everyone says to stay away from parafin to stiffen your lube, it doesn't transition through a plastic phase when it get warmed up like the other waxes, it just goes from solid to liquid instantly. So while I do appreciate the advise I already know from a previous failed lube project that throwing parafin in there is very not the answer lol.
    All I can say is it tightened my groups in the 45/70 in summer. And no evidence of build up. It worked for me. But, to each his own.

Check these threads. You may decide to just give it a try.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...about-paraffin

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...as-a-lube-base

Discussion of both sides.

Paraffin may not be a great lube when used alone, but it can compliment other ingredients well when used properly.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 07-10-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Well I may to try adding some paraffin to a small batch I guess. Can't really hurt much at this point.

As with all reloading, start small and work up. Like maybe 5 to 10 percent. I suspect you will be happy when you get to the 20 to 25 percent range. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 07-11-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Banned

ive added a bit of paraffin in my felix lube for hot summer months for years and it always worked just fine. if you don't like doing that by some hard magma blue and cut your lube with that but bottom line either way your adding paraffin.

Boolit Bub
    Magma Engineering makes a superb lube in my humble opinion.