Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead season has started

Lead season has started

Gentlemen, yesterday I visited at premises of the original Tikka factory, in Tikkakoski that is, where a local club now has an airgun range. Guys had stored their range scrap which, apparently, nobody needed and so they were willing to give it away. After measuring the content I think it really would be appropriate to make some kind of donation to the club's bank account. When containers are excluded the lead still weighs 366 pounds.

Boolit Master
    Nice!

& yes, it might be good to do something for the club, for being nice to you.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

Congrats. Air rifle pellets are usually pure lead, I used quite a bit of our scrap to cast muzzle loader balls. They made us start using lead free pellets a couple of years ago, so now the ones we use are essentially pure tin ( I sent some samples in to be analyzed).

Not sure if your club there has any restrictions, I would probably assume that scrap is pure lead.

Boolit Master
    "Lead season has started"

Does it ever really end?

Nice score!
    Bob

My mom always said showing people you appreciate what they have done for you is what you should do. Seems most times I follow her advice it works out well. Looking around and seeing something the club needs and providing it. Or even just providing donuts or sweet rolls for a morning event, or pizza for a mid-day event would be a nice gesture. It would also make it more likely that you would be the person they would be most disposed toward giving the next batch of lead to.

Soft lead, with maybe a little tin is like flour in a bakery. A good basic ingredient. Good for mixing with other lead to stretch out the more expensive alloys, good for trade, useful on its own. After you melt it all into ingots (won't that be a fun day!) you might want to have it tested. If it is "pure" soft lead that is good, if it has some tin that is a different good. You might find if it is plain lead or plain lead & tin the Black Powder Cartridge shooters will want to buy some. They need lead/tin only bullets to be historically accurate in their competition.

Very nice score. However dragging 360# even across snow still qualifies as work. You should set up a folding chair with beverage of choice and admire that stash for a bit once you get it home!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Nice score, agree with some type of pay it back to the club

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice score! A small donation to the club would be a nice gesture on your part and might pave the way to more lead in the future. I agree with the others that its probably soft lead.

Banned
    That is very generous of you and very classy also.

Cast bullet people are they best everywhere.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I think a small gesture would go a long way to show how much you appreciate this.

I takes a while to wipe that big grin off with a score like that...it comes right back when I'm fluxing the ingot pot too...comes back when I'm casting that haul...now I'm grinning again just looking at your haul in the picture...

Something about that just makes me smile!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody can flip them a Benjamin. I'd want to do something thoughtful.
    What do they need? Couple new shop brooms and brass buckets? Couple chairs for the bench? Etc....
    That kind of thing will help them remember you next time too.
    "What are we to do with all this?"
    "Remember that CeeHoo guy? Last time, he picked it up so we didn't have to deal with it. Then, the next week he brought us (whatever you think of). Do we still have his number?"

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Banned

Another thought is you should get yourself an air rifle and join their club. Sounds like a good bunch of guys.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with sureYnot. Do something nice on the range. Something everybody can see and understand it came from you. Trim some landscaping, paint something at the bench, provide a trash can, etc.

You're the kind of guy they want around.

Boolit Master
    When you think about it that is one heck of a pile of air gun pellets. All looks to be nice and clean a casters dream. Sure someone with better math skills that me will be along shortly to tell us how many pellets are in that tub that weighs 366 pounds. Something along the lines of my high school math teacher telling the class that algebra will help you in life. Regardless great score. Frank

Boolit Master
    It's about 250K-300K pellets depending on cal./weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Anybody can flip them a Benjamin. I'd want to do something thoughtful.
    What do they need? Couple new shop brooms and brass buckets? Couple chairs for the bench? Etc....
    That kind of thing will help them remember you next time too.
    "What are we to do with all this?"
    "Remember that CeeHoo guy? Last time, he picked it up so we didn't have to deal with it. Then, the next week he brought us (whatever you think of). Do we still have his number?"

What he said ^

If it is about shooters looking out for each other that is different than making it about money. If it is about money they should sell to the highest bidder. Rather than providing the lead to their buddy who looks out for them and their needs. At tire stores beating the scrap yard price by a nickel a pound is mostly just to give them an excuse to sell to you and show you are serious and giving them some respect for them being in business to make a profit. Clubs I think are different. When you think about it at 5 cents a pound a couple of hundred pounds of WW's only makes a shop an extra $10 it is the gesture rather than the amount of money I think that makes the difference. That an occasional bag of donuts.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Thank you, gentlemen.

I sent 40€ to the club's account. That is 0.24€ per kg or $0.595 per lb. More like gesture than payment but better than nothing, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

Not sure if your club there has any restrictions, I would probably assume that scrap is pure lead.
    I'm not aware of restrictions, yet at least. As long as shooters have a choice I would assume them staying away from substitutes if they perform worse and cost more than lead.

Before melting the pellets into ingots I thought double-check the content to get most of the undesirables out, just in case. While the scap seems to be mostly clean, just lead and paper basically, I came across a container contaminated by glass from shattered fluorescent tube lamp. Larger pieces can be collected with little effort but the smaller ones, not to mention glass dust, are not readily removable. Can they be ignored like sand and simply skimmed from top of the melt?

I believe fairly high temperatures would be needed to soften the glass and right now can't think of any adverse reaction it could go with molten lead, making the batch unusable for boolits...

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve had glass bottle shards in my range scrap, it just came out of the melt with the dirt.

Boolit Buddy
    They dumped a few truck loads of new sand on the berms at my range a couple weeks ago. No range scrap for me this year. Did manage to get about forty pounds of ingots before that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast