RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: WTB: "Old style" XR3 GRIPS

Moderator Emeritus

WTB: "Old style" XR3 GRIPS

Help ? I bought a 1961-made Ruger 3-screw Flat-top Blackhawk which is on the 1955-1962 "original" XR3 frame. Since, Ruger made the redesigned "XR3-RED", and even a "new" XR3 frame -- neither of which will work.

Here's my challenge: My revolver has the varnished walnut grips which just don't seem to work too well in my hand. I've even resorted to a Midway order for XR3 grips from them, but their listing appears to be wrong -- theirs is for the new-XR3, not what I have. A "key" to the grips I want if that the inside top of each is milled -- e.g., the inside of each grip is not just flat, but a little wedge is removed to complement the frame near grip top.

I'm hoping one of you great folks have, maybe, the original grip from a revolver you sent down the road, or perhaps replaced with a newer grip to complement your hand.

Regardless -- I'm pretty much at a loss trying to find a grip. I even contacted on-line grip makers, one of which no longer makes this grip, and the latter being WAY out of my budget (grips would cost me MORE than I paid for revolver!). Ruger.com replied to my inquiry to them that they no longer have any available for original XR3 frame.

Perhaps you might? Not to be too OCD, but the grips for new-XR3, SBH, and others do NOT fit; gotta' be the ones for original blackhawk, only.

Thank you very much in advance!!!!
    geoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	RG1.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	199822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RG2.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	199823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RG2.png 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	199823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RG3.png 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	199824
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 07-16-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: photos

Boolit Buddy
    George just looked at the spare grips that I have and I have a set of black plastic ruger grips with the small cut out on the inside of the grips. I don't know if these ruger grips were ever made for the Blackhawk though. If you think they would work let me know. the toolman.

Boolit Buddy
    George, PM sent to you.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master

Have you tried Collins Grips? He make a wide range of grips. james

Boolit Master

I have some Ajax polymer Ivory grips for an XR3. They came on a 3 Screw Single Six but neither of my kids liked them so I bought some black grips. They look flat in the pic but are actually shiny. There is a small chip in the bottom of the left grip you can see in the pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ajax Grips.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	199802

George: Ebay has plenty of XR3 and XR3-RED grips for sale in all kinds of materials and price ranges.

BTW: The Ruger Old Army and New Model Vaquero while somewhat different from the XR3 in terms of trigger return, use the same grips. The Old Army uses the same plunger return spring and can be used on an OM frame. The trigger slot is larger on the OA, but a brass shim will cure that.

Here is my OM Blackhawk with a stainless steel Old Army grip frame fitted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger OM Blackhawk (4) (640x356).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	199803  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to all who replied -- I've posted/added some photos. Sadly, most all grips on auction sites are the grips for super-blackhawk, the redesigned xr3, or the new version of the xr3. I'm too old to order, buy, pay, and then either have one more addition to my "junk" box or deal with a return. I've made a few questions to sellers, and the responses are quite humorous -- unless, it's to me who really wants a set of grips to FIT his gun -- e.g., "They're marked Ruger with the silver insert on both sides which means it fits all Ruger guns" -- direct quote of one reply.
    I've posted the photos, and ***MAY*** (I do hope!!!) have "scored" (as they say in hockey) with a great fellow on site... but, the fingers are still crossed. My challenge is that the Ruger grip on revolver is too short, and a dull, or checked grip surely will work -- as I have on my .30 carbine blackhawk. But, the super smooth short shiny grip which came with gun almost wants me to put on a pair of shooting gloves to hang on to it....

Thanks again to all!!!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Ok, Ruger education time.
    From 1953 to a timeframe of 1963,, the first design of the Ruger SA grip frame was used & is marked "XR-3." In 1963,, there was a transition to the newer design,, called the "XR3-RED." The basic difference is a slight outward "flair" at the back base of the grip frame. When the New Model Flattops were introduced a few years back, they added the "new" XR3 grip frame. It's SHAPE is the same,,, but the grip locating pin isn't in the same spot. And in some grip frames,, they removed the triangular piece,,,at the inside top of the g/f which allowed the grips to be made flat on the inside. Again, these new grips,,, while they are sold as being for the XR3,,, will not work for the original XR3's.

What is needed here is an original set of grips,,, which were made in two types of materials. Walnut, or Butaphane rubber, (plastic.) The plastic ones were checkered & the walnuts are smooth.

Here are your options.
    Locate a set of the original plastics,, which sell for around the $100 mark, (I just saw 9 sets for sale this past weekend for $110 a set.) or use the original wood ones you have. Lastly,, you can have a custom set made,,, but depending upon who makes them, they can cost a bit less than $100 to well over $300.
    There were some aftermarket grips,,, by "Franzite" to look like stag grips for the original XR3.

Side note; During the 1953-1963 time period,,, the factory did offer actual Stag and Ivory grips. Those grips are expensive!! $600 for factory stags & over $1000 for ivory. (I have a nice set of stags,,, for an original XR3,,, that are not factory,, but were made to look like factory. Counterfeit but nice. I'm going to sell those for $300.

PM me,, and I may be able to help you.

Moderator Emeritus

contender1 -- thank you! -- you pretty much summed up 100% exactly what I have learned re Ruger grips. One added bit of oil to the soup is that a few revolvers, too, were made to Talo Distribution specs using "non-stock" grip/frame sizes, and, distributors sell just the grip frames -- so some Ruger revolvers out there may have been customized. Fortunately (???) for me, mine is, as I've writ many times, a plain-Jane .357 "Flattop" Blackhawk, with a serial number indicating it was manufactured in 1961. From the photos I added to my OP, too, one can see what you refer to as the "flair" milled out. I got excited that the MidwayUSA XR3 grips I ordered/received from them (so their site indicates, (WRONG!)) seemed the correct size, but simply minus the flair which I'd might be able to mill out with a light touch and a wood-file -- however, the pin hole is not in correct spot. For $72.00 plus s/h -- I reckoned I'd make my first MidwayUSA return, and hope for some luck from the great folks on this site. The two custom grip makers I contacted? One wanted me to send him the firearm; and both were waaaay to expensive vis my living (trying) off retirement social security monthly cheque. Both, give or take a few dollars, were in US$300.00 range!
    A PM is following.
    Thanks to all, again!!!
    geo

George, single six grips, from the time period mentioned, will fit your flat top. If you can find an XR3-RED grip frame it will also fit your gun as will a super Blackhawk frame from that time period.

Moderator Emeritus

Bless this site and the wonderful folks on it!!! My quest for fitting grips, which no "storefront" I contacted could provide -- was responded to by wonderful persons (see posters, here above). I now have a set of grips which help me maintain my grip after the first shot! (Which, with the "slimy varnish" proved to be too much of a challenge vis furnished furniture ).

Now that I have the grips I need, I'm closing this thread -- but it would be remiss of me not to do without one more THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to all.

geo

Moderator Emeritus

Thread closed.