RotoMetals2Wisconsin TriggerLee PrecisionGraf & Sons
Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Rebuilding a Lyman 450

Boolit Master

Rebuilding a Lyman 450

My 40 year old Lyman 450 has been leaking lube from the bottom area and I got it empty yesterday and have it taken apart. I googled for info and there were lots of references back to our forum here. A few guys talked about using set screws to stake the plug back into the bottom of the sizer. Does anyone have one done this way that they have pictures of? I have a drill press, cross vice, drills and taps and lots of set screws and short machine screws. I'll be going into town tomorrow hunting "O" rings. Thanks!
    Last edited by lightman; 07-16-2017 at 06:45 AM.

I've rebuilt 3 over the years. The 450 is known to leak out the bottom. I've used cut cereal box scraps to put on the bottom, and bolt it down. That will stop it. If you need the 2 "O" rings that go on the pressure ring, PM me with an address and I'll mail them out to you free.

Boolit Master

That would be great, Thanks a lot. PM on the way.

Boolit Master

Well, I got it back together yesterday afternoon! Marlin39A sent me the correct size rings (Thanks Brother) for the pressure nut and I found the correct size "O" ring for the bottom seal at the Case/International dealer, after trying 2 different parts stores. I only looked through 5 drawers and maybe a million "O" rings! A friendly equipment dealer or an industrial rubber shop is the place to go for stuff like this! Now, back to sizing boolits!

Boolit Master
    lightman, any leaks from the bottom plug after the new o ring? How did you re-stake the plug? Got one that needs a new o ring myself, just need to find the time to do it.