Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: 452 2r Lee TL

Boolit Master

452 2r Lee TL

Any one ever use this mold? What results did you get from it in a .45 ACP? I just cast a bunch from wheel weight and am thinking about the load to use. Is the 230 grain round nose any good or not? If it is a good bullet, I'll probably make some with a softer alloy for defensive use.

Boolit Master

My friend has this mold and we could never get it to shoot very accurate in two different 45s or 45 colt either, but maybe it was just us. So when I got a mold for myself, I got the 1R. It is not a TL design, but I tumble lube it anyway, and I find it is accurate. I get about 2 in groups at 25 yards over 3.6 gr of Clays.

Boolit Master

I use the 200gn flat nose. I like it.
    It prints real nice, hits hard, ejects real well, no leading. I pan lube and push thru size.
    I found a very nice conbination with that casting.

Boolit Mold
    I use this mold for a plinking load for my Springfield Mil-Spec and get a decent group at 25 yds using 4.3 grains of Red Dot

Boolit Bub
    4.2gr of Winchester Super Target (WST) should make "major" for USPSA.
    4.5gr of the same is book max and should come close to being a hardball equivalent.
    Works fine for me, but I'll admit I keep these TLs for practice and use my ancient, mid-70's 228RN Lee for match work, since it maybe feeds a trifle better.

It's a really good practice bullet but it's accuracy isn't up to using for competitions. I'm not a fan of LLA so I just run them through my Lubersizer.

For the TL designs, I prefer the 200gr LSWC bullet. Much more accurate. Uses the same load as my 230gr (Max 200gr=lower end 230gr). Still run through the lubersizer and is just better overall.
    Springfield Armory - "Loaded" 1911SS, XD45TAC & XD9TAC
    Ruger Mark III
    AR15 - Armalite .223, Rock River Arms 9mm
    S&W 686 (early '80s model)
    Taurus Tracker 455 - .45ACP wheel gun... WAY KEWL!!!

Boolit Master

I started shooting the TL452-230-2R early in '04 and have had great results with the bullet. I have a 1991A1 and use 5.0-grains of Unique (not the best choice but I have a bunch of it). I cast with 95% Plumbers Lead and 5% tin and get super definition on the Micro-BandsŪ. One coat of LLA and seat it at 1.254". I haven't chronographed it since '04 but back then I could depend on a flat 650 FPS. I'm not a competitive shooter but seem to hit what I shoot at and I suspect it will always be my choice. I just bought it's little brother for my 9mm, the TLC356-124-2R.
    Last edited by Ranch Dog; 08-06-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Edited OAL
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Thank you for these replies. Ranch dog, what do YOU consider the best choice for this bullet IF 5 gr Unique isn't the best.?

Boolit Grand Master
    The 230-2R is a more faithful duplicate of ball bullet profile, and will produce a round of correct OAL that will feed in most .45's. The 228-1R is a nonstandard design that results in a somewhat shorter OAL (around 1.220") when loaded.

Correct overall length with the 2R will be in the vicinity of 1.250 - 1.265", depending upon the throating of your particular .45. Most factory FMJ 230 roundnose ammo tends to be between 1.260 - 1.265", in my own measuring.

The 2R, in my pistol, is seated and works at 1.265." This allows a little protrusion of the bullet shoulder out of the case, which is the correct way to do it.

I find it shoots well enough in my 1911's. Ideally, if you are duplicating ball velocities of around 820 fps, you might want to go with a bit softer mix than straight wheelweights. Cleaner shooting is the result.

Boolit Master

RD, 2.50" OAL? In a .45ACP?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    RD, 2.50" OAL? In a .45ACP?
    Oops... corrected.

I never converted this record from Shooting Lab to TMT PB&R so it was about time to do it. I keep all the printouts I load from in binders, and sure enough I even had the target from all the chronograph work.

25-yard target, 1 clip, measures 3.44" at 646 FPS

Here is the load record
    Michael