ADvertise hereGraf & SonsMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingStainLess Steel Media

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rimless 30wcf and upgraded.308

Boolit Master
    the only gunsmith in my area retired this month. He was in the business for 60 years if I recall.

Now everything would be done via ups delivery

Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    You could snag a 300BO Axis trade off the 223 mag for a 308/243 stagger feed and get a 35 Remington, 762-36 or 6.8 bolt head .

You'll need to buy or build a bbl vice/wrench and get a Savage bbl nut wrench and a fired 300bo and a new 30-30 case and a 30-30 reamer .
    All you need a machinist for is the chamber . Use the length of 300 BO out of the bbl as a guide for the 30-30 shoulder head space since the 30-30 headspaces on the rim . You should come out in the $5-600 range and if it doesn't work out you're a bolt head away and bbl away from 17 Rem to 458 WM .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

Boolit Master
    What's wrong with buying a Winchester Model 54 in 30-30?
    Seems like that would be about the most reliable and inexpensive way to go.
    Plus, it's a classic!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    What's wrong with buying a Winchester Model 54 in 30-30?
    Seems like that would be about the most reliable and inexpensive way to go.
    Plus, it's a classic!
    Nothing. That's a fine rifle, but the OP asked:

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    What is the smartest option in creating a rimless 30wcf..

A basic redesign of the case head, or simply switching to a rimless case that can be adjusted to a similar case capacity?
    Too many times in these discussions the original question is lost in the noise. The question is a good one. The 30 Remington (which is what the OP is asking for) is more or less identical to the 30-30 but there is no bolt action that easily handles either one of them, with the exception of certain classic rifles.

I had the same idea of building a 30 Remington on a short action Remington 700, by replacing the bolt with a PT&G bolt of the proper bolt face diameter, for the sole purpose of shooting cast bullets.

If you search the castboolits site you can find various attempts to make bolt action 30-30's, this being one of them:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-on-SR-Mauser
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 07-28-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    USMC 6638

Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    $70 .

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage-bolt-heads/9715-precision-machined-savage-bolt-heads.html#/147-choose_action-long_action/141-choose_savage_bolt_face-6_8_bolt_face/145-ejection_port-right/1597-add_bolt_alignment_cut-no

Green Mountain bbl blank .

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/rx308-308-caliber-1-8-twist-chrome-moly-barrel-blank/

10 or 12 twist bbls are $15-20 less .

So you grab a $300 Savage
    Add a $70 bolt head
    Add a $120-150 bbl
    Add $200 for thread turn and chamber
    Add a $175 for a PTG 30 Rem , 30-30 AI or rent a 30-30 or AI reamer at C4D
    Add for the special dies as needed .
    Add for glass if it didn't come with the gun .

For $ 800-1000 you have a Savage 110 or Axis .
    I gave $200 for an old 325C in 30-30 .
    Snag a Carcano take $300 out of build cost , the bolt face is very close and they can still be found around $100 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

Boolit Master
    gunbroker has a decent listing of carcanos. Funny thing is, carcano ammunition is a good deer cartridge. And if I did find a carcano with a good bore, and as close to military stock id be reloading for it.

No one minded modifying 223 to create the blackout, or cutting down 30-06 brass to make auto rim ammunition.

different case to create nearly identical case capacity and chamber pressure.

Boolit Master
    I guess I am confused by your asking "how much would a 30-30 barrel cost for a rem 700?"
    Do you want a 30-30 in a bolt gun or is your OP based on wanting the attributes of the 30-30 in a rimless form?
    I just figured you could obviate the need to reinvent the wheel and buy a 30-30 bolt gun.

Boolit Master
    the only Wincheseter 54 ive seen online for sale was 10-1100... somewhat more then what I feel its worth disregarding the production span and numbers.

Boolit Master
    I am assuming you want a case with the long neck and case capacity of the 30WCF but rimless for easy feeding. Also a result available reamer and die set, in other words , economical. A standard parent would be nice. 308 brass is real plentiful, just needs the neck of the 30-06. 35 REM brass is more available than 30rem and close enough to work in standard bolt face. Also will have a smaller base , So... What would happen if we shortened a 30-06 FL die by .494 and ran in the 35 REM case? Or shorten it .6 and cram it in, longer neck like a 3030 ? Disclaimer, haven't done any measuring or pondering on the 30 version. I did go with this concept for a 2inch 35 whelen, worked fine. Just letting the mind wander to create ideeas......
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    One has to remember if you build such a rifle, you better be prepared to keep it, cause if and when you sell it you may only get 1/3 of you're funds back.

Boolit Master
    please remember that the most long saought after custom rifle according to Ruger is a bolt action 30-30

Boolit Master
    .30 Remington brass and dies are available and it is a standard saami cartridge, which means a lot on the resale market, assuming your heirs want to dispose of the rifle.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Very true, or at least expect to have to ream to a standard chamber. Still will likely not recupe the money spent. But then sometimes its all about the journey.
    From a purely practice standpoint there is already a cartridge to fill any practical need, shoot more like a dozen. Some of us just have to experiment or like something one off.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    The last time I checked Graf&Sons had all 3 (25/30/and32) listed in stock, at a little under $1. each. I stashed away 2000 when Remington was making the 30 rem. brass. I still have most of it.
    WW

Boolit Bub
    I'm not trying to be smart here but there's a really good reference book titled Cartridges Of The World which is readily available and I'm sure most of the folks reading this will have a copy already. I recommend it to both newbies and old hands. If you can't find a cartridge to suit your needs in that tome you probably won't find it anywhere.
    The latest edition doesn't seem quite as good as the previous edition in my opinion.

Minuteshaver- you need to become a reloader. Buy a .308 and reload your ammo using 30-30 data. Done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I think it could be an improvement, the Remington 30-30 150 grain jsp versus the Remington .308 Winchester 150 grain jsp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12