Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: sighting in 500L with peeps

Banned

sighting in 500L with peeps

i finally got around to sighting in my 500L(tc encore, 23" MGM barrel). i took quite a bit(file, both hand and grinder) of my front sight off. it took me a while to do it, but next all i have to do is take my skinner sight down and right and then i'll have it.

i was using a 450gr wfn(460gr weighed) and 21.0gr of 2400 and 16.0gr of hs-6. they were both starting loads. 2400 made the bore dirty, it could have been lube or maybe the crimp wasn't tight enuff. hs-6 was more or less clean. oh, i never even thought of size of the bore. knowing MGM, theres a good(better than good, great) chance that it will be .510". so i did .512" boolits.

i started off with the 2400 and about 4th or 5th shot i had to tighten my stock. it was 1 - 1 1/2 turns to tighten the allen head. not much but it does make your shots go place that they shouldn't. i was only shooting 50 yards, but using a lite load of 2400 did not impress the gun. i've shot 3 or 4 groups that go 3 - 3 1/2" at 50 yards(3 shots).

next i went to hs-6. the difference was outstanding. i shot 2 or 3 groups that would go 3/4 - 1 1/2" at 50 yards(3 shots). that one i'll have to test for. i did one group that was 3, 4 and 5 shots. the 3 shots goes approx under 3/4". the 4th shot i must have pulled because it goes 2 1/2". the 5th shot( i have to load some more up), not counting the 4th, goes approx 1".

i don't have pix, mostly because i was sighting the rifle. next time my handi-capable butt will have to take some pix. my knee hurts and i have a headache.....

now, the big question is how does it recoil?
    not much. it does recoil about as much as my ruger #1(8.5lbs) in 270 or a tc venture(7.5lbs) in 25-06. i may be explaining it wrong but here it goes, when shooting a 500L the recoil doesn't go like a 44mag with full power loads, it goes like a 44 sp with skeeter's load. the recoil is also long and drawn out, not short, violent and to the point. i could shoot the 500L all week and twice on sunday. now i haven't tried full power loads like h110 or win296, i'll never need them. but lite to medium loads, the 500L and i will take them!!!

PS
    i think that 2400 goes approx 1300fps+/- and hs-6 goes approx 1200fps+/-. i'm just guessing........

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like its coming together. Last monthI shot my 50/90 Hiwall with smokeless at a Buffalo match and got 2nd place.load is 32 grains 5744 and a 540 grain FN

Banned
    i've always wanted a 50-70 gov but then john linebaugh came around and i decided if you can't use(money wise) a 50-70gov, then go to the next best thing, a 500L.

i should have used a large(.125") or a extra large(.155") aperture sight. you can see the target, but i like a little more to see. i have 20/15 vision in my shooting eye. i'll have to buy aperture sight from skinner. i have used used it as a ghost sight(meaning taken the aperture sight off using only the hole) but i'm not sure if i can kill deer at 100-125 yards.

http://www.skinnersights.com/apertures_8.html

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings tdoyka
    Sounds like a fun caliber to poke holes in critters with. Those velocities are right in the ball park of a 50-70 which caliber was well liked 150 years ago and today for putting an excellent "thawp" on whatever unfortunate was on the receiving end.
    We shoot several caliber 50's and have never been disappointed with a well placed shot. Even the Navy Model Roller Carbine (50-45) would knock any corn cruncher over if popped through the shoulders.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Greetings tdoyka
    Sounds like a fun caliber to poke holes in critters with. Those velocities are right in the ball park of a 50-70 which caliber was well liked 150 years ago and today for putting an excellent "thawp" on whatever unfortunate was on the receiving end.
    We shoot several caliber 50's and have never been disappointed with a well placed shot. Even the Navy Model Roller Carbine (50-45) would knock any corn cruncher over if popped through the shoulders.
    Mike in Peru
    my target "blocker" consists of railroad tracks that are 3 deep and then there is a dirt bank. i'm shooting at 50 yards with ear muffs and i still here the "thawp" of the boolit. out of all the deer that i've shot(cast or j-word), only one deer that i heard the "thawp" of the boolit. the doe was was hit in the shoulder at 93yards and the "thawp" came after the rifle shot. it was like boomthawp, dead deer. the boolit was a 165gr ranch dog that goes 1800fps in my 30-40 krag(bubbasized). i have shot several deer with cast boolits at under 50 yards(275gr rd/444 marlin/2000fps) but i never hear the "thawp". with the 500 linebaugh and 450gr lfn with 16gr of hs-6, i'll just have to "see" the "thawp" of the boolit!!!

This already sounds like a fun package. I wonder what it would be like with either a scope or ladder sight to take out to 400 yards even. The cartridge wasn't built for it but it's still fun to push those limits, especially with the low recoil you are describing.

shoe
    le ebin physics man

Banned
    that would be a fun one.

for poops and giggles, watch this