Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: TAPCO/Remington customer service+++

Boolit Buddy

TAPCO/Remington customer service+++

Just a quick post to share the superb customer service I received from TAPCO/Remington recently. I had bought a lot of used firearms-related equipment recently and included in the mix were two plastic, TAPCO, twenty-round, duckbilled SKS magazines. For those not familiar with SKSs or aftermarket magazines for them, the TAPCO mags are probably the most highly-regarded of all of the many variants out there. Before I go any farther, let me explain that I'm not a huge SKS guy. Yes, I have a couple of them in the safes (shouldn't everyone?), but I have many better rifles, so the SKSs don't see a lot of trigger time. Nonetheless, I am kinda' anal about having all my gear in correct working condition.

The two TAPCO mags had worn and cracked feed lips. This isn't a fault of the magazines per se, but is a design idiosyncrasy of the aftermarket magazine design parameters. The SKS bolt must be out of battery and fully retracted to insert or remove the magazines, as the feed lips ride in grooves machined into the bolt. Lots of guys try to force the mags in and out without understanding the correct procedure and this can break or - in the case of steel mags - bend the feed lips. As a side note, it's very easy to modify your SKS bolt to eliminate the problem; check out the many YouTube vids on the subject.

I called TAPCO to see if I could buy two magazine bodies only, so that I could install my good mag followers, springs and base plates in them. The customer service lady at TAPCO said that those mags have a lifetime warranty and that they would send me two replacements. I explicitly explained that the mags were used, that I didn't expect them to send me new units and that I was happy to pay for new magazine bodies, but she was insistent and said that was TAPCO's/Remington's policy and then sent me an order number for two new mags (and they didn't change me shipping).

Look guys, I know this isn't a big deal and the TAPCO mags are not very expensive in any case, but I was so impressed with TAPCO's customer service that I wanted to share this. It's rare enough to get a live human being on the other end of the lines these days, much less one who bends over backwards to be nice and make sure the customer is happy. I felt this deserved a shout out and kudos to TAPCO.

Best regards
    Doc

Boolit Grand Master

Had 2 crapco 40 rounders that I called about during the last administration and I never heard back from Phone calls with messages or emails. Still sitting down stairs. I'd rather buy magpul for my cheap mags

I'm glad you had a much better experience than I.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 07-18-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    Tapco makes a very good 30 rounder mag for the AK74. I got 7 of them and they work fine. Plus they only cost about $12 each.