Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Help wiring a lee pot heating element

Boolit Buddy

Help wiring a lee pot heating element

Hello,

I wasn't sure where to put this post but I figured this would be a good start. I am trying to figure out how to wire a Lee pot element...only not in a pot and not to a thermometer. I am building a small kiln for my swaging needs so I want to wire the element straight to the wall plug so I can plug it into my external PID controller.

Thanks in advance!
    Eric

Boolit Grand Master

I googled Lee melting pot parts to see what it looked like. I looks like you could buy a short extension cord, cut the female end off, and crimp the correct connector on it. On that 120 volt coil you just connect one wire to one end and the other wire on the other side.

Moderator Emeritus

Just connect it one side to Neutral and the other side to the "LOAD" of the SSR.

OR
    are you asking for a full wiring diagram for your system ?
    If so, it will be similar to the many furnace diagrams already posted in the PID sticky and other PID threads.

edited: I think I mis-read your post, Lightman offers a good solution
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I googled Lee melting pot parts to see what it looked like. I looks like you could buy a short extension cord, cut the female end off, and crimp the correct connector on it. On that 120 volt coil you just connect one wire to one end and the other wire on the other side.
    Lightman that was what I was thinking, get a heavy duty extension cord cut off the end and use that. I was thinking positive to one side and neutral to the other and ground to the frame but was worried that was too simple.

The PID I have is from a member hear that just uses a standard outlet type connection, so no need to hard wire it to the PID (and I use the PID for two other pots).

Beeman this is kind of a proof of concept, I had the elements in the garage so if they burn out not a big deal, then I plan on getting an actual kiln element. On a side note the end of the element are actually outside the kiln, similar to how Lee has them coming out the back of the pot. Right now I really only need to get it to about 1000 degrees so I can anneal brass and melt cores at the same time for swaging. It would eventually be nice to have the ability to heat treat small pieces of steel in the future.

Boolit Buddy
    You may need to get some hi temp appliance wire {6"} to run from the element and your SJ type power cord as its not rated for the heat that may be at the end of that element.
    Shaune509

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by shaune509 View Post
    You may need to get some hi temp appliance wire {6"} to run from the element and your SJ type power cord as its not rated for the heat that may be at the end of that element.
    Shaune509
    Shaune, SJ power cord is that the same as an extension cord? Any Idea where I would get high temp wire?

Boolit Buddy
    SJ is one of the main wire rating for extension/tool cords. Hi temp stove wire from an appliance repair shop.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master
    For hookup wire and connectors I use hi temp wire and connectors. Supco part #'s are:

RP0512NG for 12 ga wire that's rated to 842degF

T1112 for .250" female spade connectors that are rated 900degF

If you can't use the spade connectors to join your appliance cord to your hook up wire then use a porcelain wire nut:

T2070 is the part # for the large Hi Heat that's good to 1800degF.

I make this connection outside the heating element compartment .

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the data I am going to try and find the parts locally and maybe this weekend actually fire it up for the first time.

Boolit Bub
    Could you solder the wire directly to the terminal?

Boolit Buddy

Jason in theory I could, I just figured the solder may melt off?