WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 358 win

358 win

I'll be taking home a new 1952 rem 760 in 358 win . My dad has a BLR. Id love to shoot a 158 grain 38 cal pistol boolit ? I'm starting at square one with this cartrige , what did you try? What are you still loading because it worked?
    Prosit
    Ben

RCBS 35-200-FN is highly recommended; it is what I use. Also, various jacketed bullets work well depended on the intended target. See http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ for specific recommendations. I've had good results on game using the Sierra 225 SBT. The 358 Winchester is a very flexible cartridge. You will find many good loads.

I found a load for a NEI 220 grain boolit (3031 powder) and then I found a load with Lyman 358156 SWC over Unique that coincided with the sights - the 220 grain was on at 150 yards and the pistol was sighted on at 25 yards.
    Used the rifle all summer / fall up until deer season started then just switch ammo. I used a little dacron to hold the
    Unique back by the primer as when hunting rabbits and squirrels you at times would be aiming up in trees or down
    in to the creek bed and if you didn't position the powder your velocities would vary a lot.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I shoot the 358W's fat cousin 350RM and tall cousin 35Wh and use 158s for small game and plinking loads. Even in bolt actions, I find that, SWCs feed poorly. I still use'em, cause I got'em; but if I were starting at square one I'd go with a RF or TC or even a RN mold.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    RCBS 35-200-FN is highly recommended; it is what I use. Also, various jacketed bullets work well depended on the intended target. See http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/ for specific recommendations. I've had good results on game using the Sierra 225 SBT. The 358 Winchester is a very flexible cartridge. You will find many good loads.
    get bullet in a lot of 358 Win's
    the NOE copy of it sure is in mine
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Whatever shape feeds in your 760 first. I'd try a 158rn over 5or6 grs of bullseye for a play load.
    The RCBS 200 Fpgc is great in mine. I've only killed paper so far but everyone brags on it and the accuracy is great. My .358 is a Rem 700. This cartridge has impressed me mightily.
    Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    I shoot the 358W's fat cousin 350RM and tall cousin 35Wh and use 158s for small game and plinking loads. Even in bolt actions, I find that, SWCs feed poorly. I still use'em, cause I got'em; but if I were starting at square one I'd go with a RF or TC or even a RN mold.
    My Savage 99 feeds 'em fine but on my Rossi 92 I had to play with OAL to get SWC to feed well.
    On Turn bolts sometimes you have to radius the end of the chamber a little to help feed.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Yes, I suspect SWC feeding is somewhat gun specific.

Is your 99 a rotary mag model -- those feed slickly?
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Yes, I suspect SWC feeding is somewhat gun specific.

Is your 99 a rotary mag model -- those feed slickly?
    Yes, if you don't have a 99 look for one as the prices just keep going up and JES can rebore a 308 to 358 for a reasonable cost.
    je suis charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Yes, if you don't have a 99 look for one as the prices just keep going up and JES can rebore a 308 to 358 for a reasonable cost.
    I'm just a little envious -- OK, maybe more than a little.

Really though, I've .35 well covered. I am looking for a nice, but not too nice, 99 takedown. I wanted a 300; but I'm getting a little lead poisoning, around here -- bet a 30-30 or 303 would be a great dedicated cast gun.

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

I'm just a little envious -- OK, maybe more than a little.

Really though, I've .35 well covered. I am looking for a nice, but not too nice, 99 takedown. I wanted a 300; but I'm getting a little lead poisoning, around here -- bet a 30-30 or 303 would be a great dedicated cast gun.
    Yes 303 or 30 WCF will work as well as 300 Savage or 308 if you want to get into 30 cal (saves a little weight)
    My next barrel for my swap barrel will be 35 caliber
    - probably 358 WCF but maybe GoodSteel's 35 XCB wildcat.
    Uses a post-64 push feed Long action and a Savage Style Barrel Nut
    Makes it cheaper to play with different chamberings -
    I picked up bolt bodies in '06 and Belted Magnum
    makes it very versatile.
    Last edited by Artful; 07-19-2017 at 05:19 AM.
    je suis charlie