Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Is A Good .45 ACP Mold?

Right now, I'm using the Lyman 452460, which is an excellent target round, but after my brush with that boar, I'm convinced the Lee RF design with a bullet wt. somewhere between 225 – 230 gr would be a much better stopper.

I did go to both the Lee & RCBS sites, but found nither company makes a heavy bullet with the large meplat I'm looking for.

I think Mt Molds might be my answer.

Thanks,

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    Yes to 1911, Is there something else?
    Yes, there's something else besides the 1911.. A lot more something else's.

Smith & Wesson Brazilian Navy Modelo 1937 2nd Model Hand Ejector caliber .45 acp & .45 AutoRim. It shows a preference for HG68 which really pisses me off as I prefer heavier slugs... and I have a bunch of these 230 gr RN laying around.

In practical use as a belt gun or CCW or trail gun the 230gr RN is just fine as you're not going to be punching paper. Where I live it'll be a mountain lion or some 2 legged goober. In the Colt Gov't Model I prefer function over form so I'll shoot what feeds best and that's usually the round nose 230 grain.

Dutch

Boolit Buddy
    Meatco1, The RCBS 45-230-CM won't work?. I know its listed as a cowboy bullet but Ventureno(sp?) said he loads it in his 45 autos.

Hello 870:

After seeing the way that Boar absorbed all those 200 gr. SWC, I would be a lot more comfortable using a big meplat heavy bullet.

Rick is hollowpointing a 452374 for me, and it will be a fine defense round, but I'm sure that would flatten before penetrating the shield on pigs.

I just now looked at the RCBS 45-230-CM, and it does look pretty close to what I’ve searching for. I guess I always thought it was for a .45 LC.

Thanks,

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!!

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I'm not sure, others are more up on the history of moulds and mould companies than I am. I think the 068 was/is such a successful boolit that many mould makers have and/or do make it. If my memory is not completely gone it was originally a H&G design.

Here is the SAECO example of the 200 gr. SWCBB number 068.

Hope this helps some.

Rick
    Here are pictures of the H&G 68 plain base on the left and the Saeco 69 plain base on the right. The H&G has a wider base band and deeper lube groove than the Saeco. The Saeco has 2 bands that are equally split with the lube groove.

H&G uses the number 68 for both plain based and bevel based molds. It also uses 68 for the 185 swc. Saeco uses 68 for the bevel based mold.

The edges on the Saeco swc nose are a little sharper than the H&G.

Which one shoots the best? I don't know. I haven't shot any of the H&G yet, but have a bucket of them lubed ready to load. I have shoot thousands of the Saeco and am quite happy with the way they shoot and feed. I have run a bunch of them through 6 different 1911s that are mine and my friends. Never a problem.

They don't run through a Glock, but haven't tried to diagnose that problem yet.

I would need to test the two boolits to see if one has an advantage over the other. Right now I have more pressing projects than the 45 acp test.

Hope this helps someone,
    Last edited by crabo; 12-02-2008 at 04:24 AM.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Banned
    all i use for the .45 is the H&G #68 best boolit in my 1911 and my 625 revo. run 4.3 of clays behind it. 835 fps average, make major for IPSC and i run BAC lube. very good, i also use it for PPC and bullseye. -chris

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/7161077231

Some interesting comments on the above link.

Boolit Grand Master

I doubt that I'll be doing any pig hunting, but if I were, and were limited to the .45 Revolver (love those .45 revolvers) I would load the Lyman 452644 or 452424 and GO HUNTING! I guarantee you that no pig will stop either of those slugs at 900-1000 fps.

FWIW

Dale53

Crabo,

Try the Lee 230TC boolits in your Glock. The Glocks need more surface area for the poly rifling to grip. I shoot either the TL or single groove design in my Glock 36 for practice. Also do good in both my 1911s and my 2 Colts (SA with 45ACP cylinder and New Service in 45 Colt).
    Assumption Is The MOTHER Of All Screwups

Boolit Master
    I am sure it has been mentioned already (but I didn't see it) the Lyman 452423 or the group buy that was similar.

A 235 grain Keith boolit. Nice meplat, decent shoulders and a good weight. I hear they run in 1911's but all my handguns have cylinders.

Just another one to consider.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

45 Boolits

I started with LYMAN 453460 in a four cavity mould...worked well in 1911s and S&W revolvers.

Read too many magazines and bought a 6 cavity HENSLEY & GIBBS 68 200 grainer. It worked great...and production soared.

I bought some 230 grain truncuated cones like the LEE 452-230-TC and really liked them. I think I'd buy this design for both autos and revolvers if I needed another mould. BUT I'd love to have a full wadcutter 45 mould at about 230 grains so I wouldn't have to make radical sight changes.

A 44 full wadcutter sure makes interesting holes in things! A 45 would only be better....and I've got 3 inch 625s somewhere in the depths of the safe. Carry full wadcutters in the revolver in auto rim brass and something appropriate in full moon clips for a quick reload.

Boolit Buddy
    EDK: Redding/SAECO has a full wadcutter .45 bullet. Its their #453 and is supposed to weigh 225 grains. They used to have a 260 grain version but no longer catalog it. I have both in triple cavity moulds and they are excellent bullets.

MLV

There was a really interesting article in the June 2008 issue of Handloader Magazine that dealt with cast boolits in the .45 ACP and a few other semi-auto's. If only I could remember who wrote that article.

Boolit Grand Master

"Lead bullets in autoloading pistols" by Mike Venturino.

Dale53

Umm...it was kinda supposed to be a joke.

Boolit Grand Master

Guess I missed it...

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    I got it.

MLV

This has been a very interesting thread so I feel obliged to throw in my 10 cents.
    I started out over twenty years ago with Lee moulds. As soon as I could afford steel moulds (with the exception of NEI) I have stuck with them. I have worn out a number of Lee's, although I must say if you get a good one they cast and shoot very well.

I have the Lyman 452460 SWC and 452370 RN. New Lyman moulds are quite nice because they now have a much thicker sprue plate although the only new .45 mould I have is their HP Devastator which is awesome!!

I have the RCBS 45-201-SWC and 45-225-RN. Also their 45-185-SWC it had a bevel base but I bought it used and it had some damage where it had been slammed shut so I milled the bevel off to create a plain base probably a shade under 180 grains. It casts beautifully but I have not shot any yet. I like the quality of the RCBS moulds, a shame they don't come in larger capacity though.

I like Saeco moulds. I have #130 in 4 cavity, #68 SWC BB in 4 cavity, #69 SWC plain base in 4 cavity, #456 RN in 2 and 4 cavity and #67 TC in 2 cavity.

I have one Hensley & Gibbs mould in .45, #265 a 200 grain RN.

Which do I think is best?

They all shoot well. In the good old days I used to shoot a S&W 625 revolver and an H&K P9S. They both shot well with whatever I fed them with. When the good old days left us, post-Dunblane and the pistol ban, I did not give up on the .45 ACP. I shoot an Armalon PC Carbine. A cute little gun built on the Enfield No.4 action using Tanfoflio (EAA Witness) magazines to give 10 round capacity.

Again which mould is best?

The Armalon shoots all bullets well so some of my choice comes down to what casts well and looks good. The two for me would be the Saeco #67 TC and the H&G #265. Both cast superbly and shoot where I point them and I cannot ask for much more than that.

I hope this helps.

Simon.

Thanks for all of the responses - this has been an informative thread for me. I have an offer for a used H&G 4-cavity mould - I presume it's a #68, but at this point I don't know and the details still have to be worked out. The #68 style bullets I've been shooting seem to work very well for me but eventually, like you Simon, I'll want to have several molds to choose from and I'll probably wind up with a Lyman 452460 at some point as well.
    --- Patrick G.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Yes, there's something else besides the 1911.. A lot more something else's.

Smith & Wesson Brazilian Navy Modelo 1937 2nd Model Hand Ejector caliber .45 acp & .45 AutoRim. It shows a preference for the 200 grain H&G 68.

In the Colt Gov't Model I prefer function over form so I'll shoot what feeds best and that's usually the round nose 230 grain. Dutch
    Dutch:

Agreed! Both my Smith & Wesson Brazilian Navy Modelo 1937 2nd Model Hand Ejector caliber .45 acp & .45 AutoRim, AND my US GI 1917 love the LEE copy of the H&G 68 bb.

Ditto for 2 Taurus PT-1911's, one Blue, one Stainless. they both love the LEE copy of the H&G 68 bb.

I just got a EAA Witness .45acp Elite Match. It will not take the LEE copy of the H&G 68 bb. Boolit is too long! Short seat it and the case mouth hangs up, will not feed!

FedEx delivered a 6-cavity LEE 228 grain round nose mold today. This should work!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast