Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: Would you buy a silencers?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would never buy a silencer, they're dumb.

9 3.78%
  • I would buy one if they were like buying a handgun, background check, etc,

106 44.54%
  • I would buy one only if they were sold as an accessory, like grips, or a sling.

98 41.18%
  • I already own one and have gone through the NFA paper chase.

56 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: poll for silencers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead0321usmc View Post
    Personally I say sell them like an accessory. Without a firearm what are they paperweights? Maybe throw then at someone? Either way without a firearm to attach them too, their just a hunk of material. I've always been intrigued on how other countries with stricter gun laws than our own encourage their use when our own country almost discourages their use.
    Those countries all have some form of registration or licensing for guns, which tends to ease the fear a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by HankBoman View Post
    Except they aren't firearms, so they should be treated as what they are. Accessories.
    Honestly don't know how anyone, especially a member who posts on here, could see it any differently.

Boolit Master
    Louisiana being a class III state you'd think it would be easy to get one. However our local sheriff refuses to do the local chief law enforcement sign off on either full auto or silencers. I've seen full autos owned and shot by residents in other parishes. Depends on how the law is set up regarding the CLEO sign off if required or just be able to be purchased with a background check. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Louisiana being a class III state you'd think it would be easy to get one. However our local sheriff refuses to do the local chief law enforcement sign off on either full auto or silencers. I've seen full autos owned and shot by residents in other parishes. Depends on how the law is set up regarding the CLEO sign off if required or just be able to be purchased with a background check. Frank
    Federal requirement for Cleo sign off no longer required due to 41P silencer regulations change earlier this year, so unless it is part of your state laws that's no longer an issue.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    They are way to expensive and to much paperwork would only want one for back forty pest control.

Why even treat them like firearms? THey're useless unless attached to a firearm... I've had one for years. Great for introducing new folks to shooting. Really helps control "Flinch"
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Honestly don't know how anyone, especially a member who posts on here, could see it any differently.
    I concur!
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Master
    Artful, thanks for the heads up regarding the Cleo sign off. Much appreciated. Frank

I have many, and shoot them regularly. I initially bought the quietest ones I could find, now only have interest in the shortest/lightest ones I can find. Shooting without ears in is nice, and I like my guns to be hearing safe. The cans from Dead Air are absolute tops right now, and they just released a new one called the Wolf that is most interesting for many applications. Yes they should be accessories, but I feel they are very worth the arduous process.

Banned
    about the comments about suppressors, silencer, sound moderators, cans, etc. where it is stated that someone will do do something dumb with them so we should keep them as a NFA item or ban them all together...

they are like everything else in the world, someone will abuse the things and do stupid ****. maybe we should ban knives or cars because someone might do something stupid with them.. not everyone will use them as an excuse to act a fool. it has always been this way, the idiots will ruin everything for those of us who have a brain in our head... but it is the law abiding and only the law abiding who gets burnt by any laws, anyone who wants one who does not give a dam about the federal infringement departments will have one.. criminals do not obey the law to begin with, that is why they are criminals.

there is no part of the US constitution that grants the government the power to say what the people may or may not have.. with the assumption that they have the authority to tell the people what they may or may not have opens up the assumption that they could tell the people that we cannot eat salt because it is bad or we cannot eat meat because it is bad for us and cruel to animals, or that we may not grow a plant because they say so. there is no difference.. the thing is that they could not ban the suppressor or automatic weapons outright because they have no authority to do so, but what they could do is levy a tax. the tax is well within the powers of the government and this is how they circumvent the constitution.. sure you can own something, but you must pay a tax to do so and the tax will be so high as to make that unlikely. it is like Obama care was classified as a tax and that is the only way the was able to do it.. they require a tax upon the items and anyone not found to be in compliance with the tax is subjected to tax evasion rules and regulations, that is the only thing they can get you on. it is like the days of old where you would be thrown into the debtors prison if you did not pay the king his taxes, it is the exact same **** these days.. but the people still have the authority to refuse to pay such taxes if they are found to be unusual or unconstitutional. the only problem with this is the people cannot get together on anything so the cycle continues. but this is where it gets murky.. while the US government has the power to tax, they do not have the power to regulate or prevent anyone from possessing a firearm or accessory under the second amendment that clearly states that "shall not be infringed".

the very act of requiring a tax upon a firearm or firearm item for ownership and punishing people for not paying this tax is in conflict with the second amendment that says we have a right to own said firearm.. there is no difference when they do this than if i say you have the right to own an item and then i say that even though you have the right to own that item you have to pay me a fee or you cannot own it. they are contradictions. you have the right to do so but ill say you can't have it unless you give me money.. it is the equivalent of me going to someones house and seeing they have a butcher knife in their kitchen and then demanding money from them to own the knife. if they will not give me money then i put a gun to their head or send a bunch of people to do it for me like the IRS and other federal goon squads and if they will not give me the money then i kidnap them and take their knife. if we do this we go to jail. when we do this it is called armed robbery and kidnapping.. but because they have brainwashed the people into believing they have authority over them to tell them what they can and cannot do as private citizens they get away with it...

they only have the power that the people allow them to have and no more.. if people allow them to become a totalitarian nanny state government then they have to power to do so.. this will go on till the people actually get together and say enough. but this is where the division we see comes in at... keep the people divided and fighting with each other and distracted with unimportant distraction and you have no problem with them rising up against the ruling powers..
    Last edited by Mauser 98K; 08-07-2017 at 03:05 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    They are way to expensive and to much paperwork would only want one for back forty pest control.
    You cannot get one if you wanted it anyway as they are not legal in CA so your post makes no sense.

Boolit Buddy

They are an inanimate object , not going to pay a tax on a muffler. I find it odd that you can go down town and buy a gun and come home with it. Buy an accessory which is what a suppressor is , and you have to pay a grand for it , 200 dollar tax and then have to wait 9 months to a year to bring it home. This just shows you how stupid our government really is. or at least half of our government , if you get my drift. and I was told buy my friend that is a class 3 dealer that there has not been a crime committed with a suppressor. , before someone comes unglued and jumps all over me for know knowing what Im talking about ,this is just what I herd I have no facts nor do I care.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    They should be completely unregulated, but I have what I want regardless of regulations. I just figure IF there is a way to stay legal, I will stay legal. Sadly, the only weapon I currently own that I can't legally carry is a tomahawk. Go figure.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    They should be completely unregulated, but I have what I want regardless of regulations. I just figure IF there is a way to stay legal, I will stay legal. Sadly, the only weapon I currently own that I can't legally carry is a tomahawk. Go figure.
    You can carry it in North Carolina, and you don't even need a permit.

Unfortunately, I live in Illinois which prohibits suppressors. I guess the politicians here don’t care much for protecting their constituents hearing. I can’t help but think that Chicago would be a lot quieter.... If we ever do get them they should be sold as an accessory with no further background check or NFA fee

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345