Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

View Poll Results: Would you buy a silencers?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would never buy a silencer, they're dumb.

9 3.78%
  • I would buy one if they were like buying a handgun, background check, etc,

106 44.54%
  • I would buy one only if they were sold as an accessory, like grips, or a sling.

98 41.18%
  • I already own one and have gone through the NFA paper chase.

56 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: poll for silencers.

Boolit Grand Master

I would be in line for probably 2. One for a 22 LR and maybe one to do double duty between a 223 and a 308. A friend got licensed to build and sell them a few years ago and offered me a couple for cheap or free but I declined because of the cost of the paper work. I think it would be fun spotlighting hogs at night out of a blind or deer stand!

Boolit Grand Master
    Some days I wonder about some people. I live in rural Michigan and know people who have and do poach.

Anyway, I will build my own silencer. Waiting to see if the bill passes but will apply for tge permit if it doesn't
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I voted # 3(sold like accessories) & the price has to come way down or I would build(would have built) the ones I wanted.

IMO... They should not cost the amount of a firearm itself & I see no need for a background check, since if someone was to be buying one, it is likely they already have had a background check for the firearm they are using & are going to put it on.
    If they are criminals already and have a firearm, the suppressor is just another crime currently & the criminals will not care. So, it won't likely matter if they are just an accessory either.

I have in my basement 3 things. One is a H&R Handi rifle with a threaded barrel. One is an oil filter, one is a thread adapter. Total cost including the rifle under 250$.

As long as they are separate, each is legal. Combined they could put me in jail for 10 years. So I don't play with them. I leave them separate.

Background check, hell no, won't go.

Accessory, low cost, functional accessory. No different than a laser, a red dot, or a set of grips. With todays technology there is no excuse for a silencer/suppressor that costs 1k. And yet most of the good ones are over 500$

And give UP this idea that you can legislate morals. Making it illegal to own a silencer never stopped anyone from jacklighting a deer. They just used a .22, fired one shot.

The good ones dropped off a man right after the shot and left for half an hour. Separating the man from the shooter and the rifle. 2 garbage bags in your belt, a sharp knife and half hour of time was all it took. If you see another set of headlights coming you lay down in the grass till the coast is clear.

I'm not proud of those days, but at times life was hard. I kept myself and one other family fed through some of those hard times. It is what it is. I did not waste any, I did not do it for fun, or kicks. I did it because it had been 8 months since hunting season and freezers were bare.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have no use for them but everyone is different.

I think it would have been interesting to include with this poll, the age of those who are in favor of them, want them or are interested in them. I'm wondering if these things aren't more of a "younger crowd fascination"? Nothing wrong with that but as an older individual - OK - old fart . . . I see these as more of a trend for the younger folks . . but I may be wrong on that?

I guess I belong to the "younger crowd" then. I am 66 and would love to have one but don't because of the paperwork, I could live with the tax but don't want my family to be burdened with it after I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I guess I belong to the "younger crowd" then. I am 66 and would love to have one but don't because of the paperwork, I could live with the tax but don't want my family to be burdened with it after I'm gone.
    After the owner passes the individually registered suppressor passes to the heir on a form 5 without paying any tax.
    Some circumvent this by establishing a Trust and have everyone in the family on it. That way after a person passes the other people don't have to do anything as they can still legally possess the item without further paperwork.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I have no use for them but everyone is different.

I think it would have been interesting to include with this poll, the age of those who are in favor of them, want them or are interested in them. I'm wondering if these things aren't more of a "younger crowd fascination"? Nothing wrong with that but as an older individual - OK - old fart . . . I see these as more of a trend for the younger folks . . but I may be wrong on that?
    I bought my first one in my 30's - built my latest in my 60's - maybe I'm on both ends.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    #1 Don't think they're dumb, just not something I need at this point.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    No paperwork, no license, no tax stamp.
    I concur. Without the firearm they are a glorified pipe.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'd like to point out that this 1949 Savage factory box magazine is clearly labeled CLIP .
    Attachment 199801

I would say that the sematics of clip/magazine is about as worn out as silencer/suppressor . How's about from here on out it's just an ammunition holder device and a muzzle noise abatement device ?

Either option 2 or 3 would make me all warm and fuzzy .
    Just because I have a couple custom rifles 1 a 1 off wildcat doesn't mean I've the desire to drop $1000 for glass and another $1000 for a muzzle noise abatement device .

As the rules stand today it's about paying for for a new 2018 automobile and not being able take it home until a few weeks before the 2019s are released . If for some reason a pencil pusher 3000 miles away decides you don't need an Audi TT because you had an exhibition of acceleration ticket in 1974 . Then your money is basically gone for maybe another yr while some agreement is reached for you to sell the $35,000 pocket rocket that's last year's model it'll take the next another yr to get . The muzzle noise abatement device really hasn't changed in 50 yr but I'll bet you know the difference between a turbo Carra IV and a 956 whether you bought it for the track or to tour .

As far as R&D goes I'd bet there is only some angle and material changes from a muzzle noise abatement device for an original 1927 Thomson made in 1927 and the 45 cal pistol models on the assembly line last Tuesday .
    I'm sure there are some big advances for 7mm STW class cartridges but there have been businesses building integrated muzzle noise abatement devices for 20 yr from 10/22s to Rem 1100s . It's all been done . As far as standards go I suspect they are very close world wide . That means that it comes down to fit, finish and life span for pricing , with lifetime service vs user serviceable units .

Frankly if they were even $150-200 plus tax and NICS on a 4473 and I could compare a Savage Axlevent to a S&W Xtreme model in hand and maybe even fire one each side by side I'd have 1 ea in 25,& 35cal rifle and 35 &45 pistol so fast the magstripe would melt on the American Express .

(Names and models made up for Axis vs M29 mythical properties)
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Over here most have them .we call them moderators as that's what they do.

Banned
    to each his own

i don't own one nor do i have the need to get one. so i guess its no for me.

suppressors are far, far, far down my bucket list.

Silencer is the trademaked name used by the inventor Mr. Maxim
    It is also used by the BATFE as the laws they regulate were from 1934 and Mr. Maxim's device
    was commonly refered to as a silencer - Suppressor wasn't used until later after companies
    realized they would have to make up a name other than the proprietary Silencer
    je suis charlie

I could only ever see me buying one as a novelty, so they'd need to be very easy to buy.

They add weight, bulk, and complexity and damage handling and carrying qualities. This makes suppressors thieves of every quality that I value in a gun.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch and love them all. Makes shooting and hunting much more enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

With a 98% hearing loss in my left ear I would love to have a suppressor.....the suppressor only really works when you use subsonic bullets and they are not truly quiet. A non-subsonic bullet will result in a greatly reduced noise and be better in my area.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    Until you hear a silenced ar with a bumpstock pumping random rounds through the tree tops you haven't gotten out much.
    Or been down range changing targets at 200 yards and have a Border Patrol Agent on the their separate range cross firing at your ranges 300 yard gong up on the berm.
    je suis charlie

To be honest about the only thing that interests me anymore is NFA stuff. I enjoy being able to shoot without ear pro or letting the neighbors knowing what I'm up to. I have also moved from buying commercial cans to building my own along with several short barrel rifles. That said I hope the HPA passes as originally written. That would mean nearly $2k in refunds due to tax stamps spent over the last year or so.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Artful - in regards to the passing of it on in a Trust . . .

I'm assuming that is only able to be done if the Trust is continued on? In the case of many Trusts, they are "closed" and a final tax return done. The Trust allows the estate and assets to avoid Probate.

While the silencer may be able to be passed on in regards to the Trust, the Trust, which is treated like an individual, will have to continue to file tax returns both Federal and in most states until it is closed. While the individual Trust maybe continued on for other benefits of those involved,I would hope that no one would do it just to avoid the expense/paperwork in regards to the silencer if there is any? I'm not a lawyer but I have had experience with Trusts as a Trustee.

So, if an individual had a Trust and all their assets were in the Trust - and say they had more than one son/daughter . . . could the silencer be "passed on" to a selected heir through the individual's "Will"?

Not trying to e confrontational at all - I saw you post in regards to passing it on and it peaked my curiosity. I have a hard time thinking that the guvment would have some way of squeezing a tax out of it somehow upon the death of the original owner who chooses to "pass it on"?

Thanks!

In regards to my post about silencers seeming (to me) to be a thing for the younger crowd - I meant no offense by that at all. It just seems to me that when I have heard conversations in person in regards to them, it has been younger folks. Personally, I have no need for one due to what and how I shoot but everyone's circumstances are different - regardless of age. I can see how one would be handy to have for those who have to keep the noise down or say, those who hunt prairie dogs and such - just two examples of many I'm sure.

Jim

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast