Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

View Poll Results: Would you buy a silencers?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would never buy a silencer, they're dumb.

9 3.78%
  • I would buy one if they were like buying a handgun, background check, etc,

106 44.54%
  • I would buy one only if they were sold as an accessory, like grips, or a sling.

98 41.18%
  • I already own one and have gone through the NFA paper chase.

56 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: poll for silencers.

I pick choice number 5, they are not dumb, but I just don't want one. At least at this time, hearing protection works fine for me. Our guns are all carry guns, and a suppressor would make them too long for that purpose.

They should be unregulated IMO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Artful - in regards to the passing of it on in a Trust . . .

I'm assuming that is only able to be done if the Trust is continued on? In the case of many Trusts, they are "closed" and a final tax return done. The Trust allows the estate and assets to avoid Probate.

While the silencer may be able to be passed on in regards to the Trust, the Trust, which is treated like an individual, will have to continue to file tax returns both Federal and in most states until it is closed. While the individual Trust maybe continued on for other benefits of those involved,I would hope that no one would do it just to avoid the expense/paperwork in regards to the silencer if there is any? I'm not a lawyer but I have had experience with Trusts as a Trustee.

So, if an individual had a Trust and all their assets were in the Trust - and say they had more than one son/daughter . . . could the silencer be "passed on" to a selected heir through the individual's "Will"?

Not trying to e confrontational at all - I saw you post in regards to passing it on and it peaked my curiosity. I have a hard time thinking that the guvment would have some way of squeezing a tax out of it somehow upon the death of the original owner who chooses to "pass it on"?

Thanks!

In regards to my post about silencers seeming (to me) to be a thing for the younger crowd - I meant no offense by that at all. It just seems to me that when I have heard conversations in person in regards to them, it has been younger folks. Personally, I have no need for one due to what and how I shoot but everyone's circumstances are different - regardless of age. I can see how one would be handy to have for those who have to keep the noise down or say, those who hunt prairie dogs and such - just two examples of many I'm sure.

Jim
    Trusts used are generally what's called a revocable living trust, which does live past the original trustee with named trustees beyond that. Failing that, you can also have your inheritor file an ATF Form 5 (5320.5) within (IIRC) 90 days of your death to pass on NFA items without an additional tax.

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    the suppressor only really works when you use subsonic bullets and they are not truly quiet.
    Maybe you are doing something wrong but my Uzi SBR (closed bolt) is so quiet with subsonic ammo I can shoot it without ear muffs. Ditto on the Ruger 22 pistol and subsonic ammo.
    However, the open bolt guns are not as quiet There is a lot of gas that blows back. I have to use muffs with those guns.
    People, I think, are used to the movies - Hollywood Quiet is what I call it.
    Most suppressors are not that way.
    Some are. Depends on ammo (trans sonic, subsonic, supersonic), bolt configuration (bolt rifle, open bolt semi/subgun vs. vs. closed bolt semi/subgun) etc.
    With some effort you can get them to be VERY quiet.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 07-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be happy if they're just treated as firearms - so same restrictions apply. Technically the BATFE does already classify them as firearms. So if we remove them from NFA status then we should be able to build them ourselves (so long as you're allowed firearms). Which is the route I'd take. It'd make a dandy little project and help keep my hearing in tact. I don't have the loss some on this board do but the little loss I have is annoying and at times a source of friction with my family.

Basically, it's the paperwork (and 200 bucks) that keep me from having silencers/suppressors/moderators. I don't feel strongly enough to deal with the hassle as it stands.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master
    If they didn't interfere with accuracy ....sure!....why not?

i'm 63 and my hearing is rapidly going south...one shot from a .22 long rifle cartridge without muffs, and my ears ring for days!

I already knew about the trusts but don't want to deal with the hassle for a little benign piece of metal.
    If you could just pay the lousy 200 bucks and that would be the end of it I would be happy.
    I don't want to jack around with trusts or form 5s or any other kind of malarkey for a stupid little muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    If they didn't interfere with accuracy ....sure!....why not?
    What are you talking about???? I shoot 1000 yard targets with my suppressed 308, it (or me) is worse without the can on...
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    What are you talking about???? I shoot 1000 yard targets with my suppressed 308, it (or me) is worse without the can on...
    Best to just ignore those that have no idea what they're talking about. I wish I could say I'm surprised by gun owners that don't support every aspect of the sport. But I'm not and it's what makes us a weak easy target.

Boolit Master
    For me it's 4473 and no tax. I am interested in the design and engineering. I would build me an integral for my Charger first, then a Browning SA22 and then a 44mag Contender barrel. They dont have to adversely effect the handling quality of the host. That is the main design aspect I'm interested in!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Yep if it was the same as buying a gun I'd pick up a few
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

A person should not even have to do a background check, fill out a 4473. They are nothing more than a thin tube with baffles, some laws are really a joke, though not funny. I have no desire for a suppressor, at least at this time, from my understanding the sound is still close to ear damaging levels. The idea that if I build a house with sound suppression, and my neighbors might not hear an argument so they can call police is ridicules. Criminals are rarely going to use a silencer even if they are easy to buy, they are just too cumbersome, and criminals do not obey laws. That is why they are criminals.

I can see a lot of 80% kits in the future if they can be bought with a BGC. But actually I think there popularity will wane with a change.

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    And they would need to be much more affordable.
    if/once it passes and in enacted then they will be.

If it is enacted at the time of passage then the price on suppressors will be higher then it is now because the demand would go thru the roof.
    But if there is several months between passing and being enacted, then they will be dirt cheap.

Look at AR15 receivers. Before the big rush they were over $100 for one. Now you can buy one (a metal one at that) on sale for around $30. Saw that last week.

Even right now there is a company that produces and sells a $100 22lr suppressor.

I built a titanium 22 lr/22mag/22hornet/22tcm rated can late last year.
    All said and done I have $200 in it not including stamp which I hope to get back when this passes.

Boolit Grand Master

People either don't know or forgetting that if removed from the NFA there would be a lot in integrally suppressed firearms being made. This alleviates the poor handling characteristics. I sure wouldn't mind an integrally suppressed Marlin lever action. It would allow me to keep the barrels at standard length instead of cutting one short so it's not "as unwieldy".

I own a couple. Will own several more as time and money allows. 99% of the naysayers have never shot one. If they had, they wouldn't be a naysayer.

Thank you Hiram Maxim for giving us the greatest firearm accessory ever.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Let's be clear here, because someone does not want to buy a suppressor, or use one does not make them a naysayer. I do not want a Corvette, but I don't want them outlawed, or have anything against others owning one. I also do not want a grill on my teeth, but have no problem with you having bling on your teeth.

Maxim 9

Gemtech Oasis 22LR built around Ruger

Contender SBR - Suppressed

Own a Heavy Barrel Ruger 10/22 - make it suppressed

Gemtech Mist 22 barrel/suppressor assembly

Isreali's think it cool deal

Ruger 77/22 suppressed

Marlin Camp Carbine suppressed

300 Blackout AR

Take your pick
    Savage

Remington

Last edited by Artful; 07-18-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    A person should not even have to do a background check, fill out a 4473. They are nothing more than a thin tube with baffles, some laws are really a joke, though not funny. I have no desire for a suppressor, at least at this time, from my understanding the sound is still close to ear damaging levels. The idea that if I build a house with sound suppression, and my neighbors might not hear an argument so they can call police is ridicules. Criminals are rarely going to use a silencer even if they are easy to buy, they are just too cumbersome, and criminals do not obey laws. That is why they are criminals.

I can see a lot of 80% kits in the future if they can be bought with a BGC. But actually I think there popularity will wane with a change.
    Agree with all of this.

Boolit Master
    If this passes and silencers are freed from the NFA...what kind of media storm will arise when the first person is murdered with one? I hope it's not a murder but justified shooting, like a home owner protecting his castle.

The poor guy will probably get sued because the "victim" didn't hear it coming...I just crack myself up sometimes.
    [

Hmm, same kind of media storm when Florida, Arizona, and other states loosened concealed carry laws.
    I still remember all the "shoot outs" in the streets that never happened - only thing I've seen more
    of is mass shootings (usually by Muslims) where concealed carry holds can't carry.
    je suis charlie

Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarrior View Post
    Being against cans is like not being an NRA member. Might as well register as a Democrat.
    Keep in mind that the NRA played a large hand in the writing, and supporting of the NFA, GCA, and GFSZA.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast