Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel Threading

Boolit Master

http://www.m60joe.com/

He has done good work for me fast turn around.

Boolit Master
    Wow' I now know I didn't think that question through all the way! RED TAPE gets you every time!
    Aaron

Boolit Master
    When I was doing gunsmithing I was not required to have a manufacturing license.A regular 01 FFL was that was required.That was ten years ago.

Boolit Master
    any body threading barrels for muzzle breaks. could do it for silencers too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    I got lost in the license parts of this thread
    Anybody offering this service,I have a TC Contender barrel that needs to be threaded? I'm wanting to add a muzzle/flash suppressor to my 300 whisper.
    I don't know where you are in east Texas. But in jasper there is a good gunsmith John Dickerson he is across fro McDonald's on HWY 96. His work is a lot better then his personality
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

I'm in Zavalla(black forest area) across the lake from Broaddus,we call it Caney Creek,I'm just a few hundred yards from the Boat Ramp.Thanks
    I'll drive the 60miles to check with him another in Woodville,Texas somewhere?
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 07-18-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Yea Knights gun works on 190 maby 6 mi east of woodville

He used to be at 4 S shooting sports ??? Somthing like that? His brother Gaylon Knight owns it.you can check their also. It's at the old Dairy Queen on 190 west just past the hospital.

I can't remember Gaylons brothers name? He dose great work but he tends to be flighty. I would use him,but I can't recommend him.use at your own risk.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    any body threading barrels for muzzle breaks. could do it for silencers too.
    If they can keep tolerances - it's one thing to get a bullet thru 2" with loose tolerances vs 10" with tight tolerances.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I don't know what that guy was trying to do. it got too painful to watch. I just set them up indicate the barrel in in two places. or hold it between centers on my 9" south bend and chase the threads. no problem at all holding it tight.
    Last edited by bob208; 07-19-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Remington can not do it because they are a production shop.

anybody that is a machinist or tool maker can do the job on a lathe. you are not going to do the job with a die ad die holder by hand.

Banned

there making some serious profit there. Takes about 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarrior View Post
    GEMTECH will thread a bbl for 200 bucks. No one is gonna get rich doing them. The suppressor bill will never get made law .... the Congress cannot do anything except hold fund raisers !

Boolit Master
    I am retired own my own machines and shop. I don't have the overhead . but I would still have to have $100. looking at the job I would say one hour setup to clean up. that is if I did not have to take the rifle out of the stock .

Banned

with most lathes now set up is a breeze. Punch in a program you have saved and cut. Even on an old lathe with set up my neighbor did my 10/22 in a half an hour. that was set up and all. If it takes you an hour to cut a one inch thread even with setup you must be having a few cold ones while doing it. I'm not a machinist. I worked as a millwright for 10 years and do have some lathe experience though so this aint my first rodeo. I know if at work I asked someone to cut a one inch thread and it took them an hour id be asking questions. You talk overhead. That is true in a big operation but where talking about mom and pop businesses popping up with the popularity of silencers. There will be many doing them that have a small lathe out in there garage. No overhead and how many can you do with one carbide cutter? LOTS. So material is about nothing. Like I said too if you are going to a good sized established machine shop they have lathes with computer controls cut time drastically and that once the program is in a inexperienced machinist can do it. There are only a few suppressor thread sizes. Ive yet to see a silencer sold here with metric threads. Saving 4 programs on a computer controlled lathe would cover about 90 percent of the work your going to do. Keep in mind to a small operation by a guy just wanting to make a bit of pocket money could specialize in just one or two different guns. Say cutting threads on 22lr and 223s which are the same. Cutting one inch of threads on a barrel isn't rocket science. Its a simple job anyone with a lathe can do. Typical shop isn't going to do one barrel its going to wait till it has say 4 1022 barrels to do at the same time. Do you really want me to believe that knowing a guy can buy a brand new ar15 today for 400 bucks that a 100 dollars worth of that gun is the threads on the barrel. Ill leave this post now. Seems I hurt the feelings of a few machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarrior View Post
    15 minutes ? That includes setup, trial cuts and so on. Why do I think you're not a machinist ?

Serious profit ? A car mechanic gets 100 bucks and hour so lets say we have 25 bucks (your estimate) in labor, the amortization of the lathe, tooling etc, the advertising for the service, the allocation of other fixed and variable costs ..... serious profit ?

My MBA in finance/accounting and 30 years counting the beans leads to a very different conclusion.

Look forward to your advertising here for bbl threading services for all the different RH, LH, US and metric threads for 50 bucks apiece.

My AUG is different from my Kimber, is different from my S&W 22 AR is different from my BOSS M70.

As with most services, you get what you pay for. Brain surgery in Somalia is very cheap !
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-22-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12