Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Help Me Out On Stock Profile 375 H&H

Boolit Grand Master

Help Me Out On Stock Profile 375 H&H

I have scrimped and saved and am finally going to pull the trigger on a 375 H&H. What am I going to do with it? Well, go BOOM! and dream of the game I saw on Safari a few years ago I couldn't pull the trigger on. I was going to get a Ruger 375 but I just like the classics and I don't have enough for a 404 Jeffrey.

I'm looking at the CZ 550 and I'm dithering between the Classic Safari "humpback" and the American straight stock.

Anyone have experience with these designs and what do you recommend. If you have any starting point for reload boolits I'd appreciate that too

Thanks,
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Personally I don't care for the "hump back " stocks but prefer a real classic style. Now I'm fortunate that I have stocks made for my big kickers and a WELL made stock is not only beautiful but does much to combat recoil. I don't want a big kicker to light either and one of the easiest ways to help with recoil is slow the load down somewhat. No animal....including African game will know the difference in a few hundred fps but your shoulder can. You may also want to look into a 9.3x62 also. It will do everything the 375 will in a standard action and recoil is moderate. I had one built and took it as my light rifle to Zimbabwe on a hunt. Great round and easy to load for etc.....no belts or long lengths. Just me opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you have a twist preference, shooter93 and how much difference is there between the 9.3x62 and a 35 Whelen?

I know you can use 30-06 brass to make 35 Whelen as I have one and do so but I also read that you can make the 9.3 brass from 30-06 with a little trimming. Have you tried this?
    Last edited by jonp; 07-16-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I think you'll find the 375 H&H to be an excellent choice. Brass is readily available and priced the same as other standard magnum brass. I have Winchester and Remington, both are excellent. I NS the cases with a Redding NS die and they are last for many firings. I've yet to partial or FL size any cases used for cast bullet loads . I recently developed excellent loads with a 280 gr cast bullet at 2450 fps.

Yes the 9.3 is an excellent cartridge in its own right. However, the 375 H&H is THE quintessential classic large (medium in some circles) bore cartridge. It is all the 9.3 wants to be and more........

My 375 H&H is a stainless M70 in a classic M70 African stock. It originally came in a small thin composite/plastic stock that made it brutal to shoot. Shooter93 is correct, a well made stock is essential and the difference in recoil once I put the Winchester factory African stock on it was very, very noticeable. It is now fun to shoot, even with full bore jacketed loads. Thus I also recommend the classic style stock.

Attachment 199790
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 07-16-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

In Remembrance

My old (very Pre 64) Winchester .375 H&H still has the original no cheek piece factory stock. I`ve changed the recoil pad to a Limb Saver as the Win. red pad was crumbling from age and it makes shooting it a pleasurable time again. It came down here from Ak where it was a personal arm for an interior dept. worker. It was standard equipment to a crew working out in the bush. It was reported to have taken everything from a Pacific Blacktail deer up thru a disagreeable brown bear all taken with Remington `J` ammo of 270 gr., I believe he said, factory ammo. I cast and shoot 275 gr. BRP boolets thru it now, I also have an old Lyman mold that I haven`t used yet.Robert

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

No I personally haven't made brass from 06 brass. Many have but all the 9.3 shooters I know only use them for lower powered loads because of the slight differences in the end case. To each his own though. 9.3 brass is readily available as mentioned and not over priced. Think how many loadings you get per case and a few hundred rounds would last the average shooter an eternity. I have nothing against the 375 and have owned a number of them in all configurations. I just happen to think the 9.3 is a real African classic that fits a standard action and is a joy to shoot. Either one will do what you want from it I only mentioned it as a second choice. I often take it along when we go "plinking" off hand much more than I did my 375's

Boolit Buddy
    Straight if using a scope, humpback as you call if using iron