RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Lyman 311029 for hunting

Boolit Mold

Lyman 311029 for hunting

G'day from down under.
    Just wondering if anyone has successfully used the Lyman 311029 for medium game (pigs and/ or deer) in the 30-30. There seems to be a big push for wfn cast bullets for hunting but was wondering if this old design was of much use or should one bypass it for the 311041?

Boolit Master
    could you post a pic? I couldn't find it in the list of Lyman moulds I went to check.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I can't find any reference to a Lyman/Ideal 311029 or a 31129 or anything like it in 311.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry gentlemen for the mix up. I meant the 311291.

Boolit Master
    I've never used that mould but I would not hesitate to use it for hunting if I did have it. I do have the 31141 and rcbs 30-180 fn and a flatnose loverin design from NOE but haven't killed enough pigs or deer with any one of 'em to say you got to use a flatnose design to kill game.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks wmitty.
    Appreciate your response.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Design wise, nothing wrong with it at all, should perform well after getting the right dia, coal and powder factors blended to function in YOUR firearm.

Hi
    I use this bullet in both 308 and 303. I`ve shot 4 deer with it and it`s a solid performer at about 1600 to 1800fps.All these deer were shot in mixed bush here in southern Ontario Canada and all shots were within 80 yards.

Boolit Man
    jae, what were the terminal results using the 291? Reaction of the animal, how far did they travel, blood trail, etc? I have been shooting it for years but never quite got up the courage to use it on deer. I have so far stayed with 35 calibers and up.