RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338 Federal or 358 Winchester

Boolit Master

338 Federal or 358 Winchester

I have a very nice Smith Corona M1903 match rifle. It is in 7-08. I tried a few cast bullets in it but now I have lost intrest. I was thinking about a JES rebore to 338 Federal or 358 Winchester. Both of these should be great cast boolit cartridges. Im leaning toward the 358 with faster twist for heavy bullets.

Here is a pic of the gun. It is just outdated for Highpower. I can see this being a lot of fun with 11gr of Unique at 200yds.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0715171400.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	199737

Boolit Master
    358 is a proven cast shooter thou I see no reason the 338 should not be also. My pick would be 358 because that's what I want. Whatever you pick should be a winner!!
    Aaron

Boolit Master
    This gun has no feeding issues with 308 length cartridges. It was built in theearly 90's by Ed Sheeling. It has all 308 length magazine parts.

The 358 would still be legal for the local 100yd highpower match.

I was going to sell the gun. For what I can get for it and the cost of a rebore I dont think I could buy a gun I would like more.

Boolit Master
    hands down, the 358 Win has been my favortite "modern" deer rifle.
    I am shooting 250 gr RN 358318 cast bullets paper patched, 2350fps, for my
    hunting. Has worked well on several big bucks over the years. Good
    "knockdown" and very little bloodshot meat
    Also, "358 cal" rifles- are a great "MID caliber". Not to say that the .338 Fed
    would not be good, too. I suspect more 35 cal bullet molds available, too
    beltfed/arnie

Moderator Emeritus

338 gator checks from NOE run $25 while 35 cal only cost $22. You would save $3 every thousand shots. Or 979 shots if you are like me and drop a small percentage to get stepped on.
    I think a lot depends on whether you would rather extrapolate data or work from a known quantity. Lots of data for 358, most of it might interchange for 338 Fed.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    If I was going to get it as a cast bullet shooter, I'd go with the 358. Otherwise, I'd want the 338.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I like your reasoning that with the cost of the rebore you couldn't buy anything you would like better. I have a a Marlin lever gun that was rebored to 38-55 by JES and it's a shooter.
    I would go with the 358 Win as well.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Im going to give him a call Monday. Noe has some good looking molds for the 358. Have to decide on a twist rate. Im thinking that the heavy 280-310gr bullets would be good for target work. Keep the velocity lower.

I see they offer 3,4 and 5 grove. I would guess 358 dia lead would be fine with 3 groove. Any ideas on this.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    You won't go wrong with JES's 358 Winchester rebore!!!!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    If you think you might want to shoot in the high power match the .338 Federal should be the choice since match grade bullets are readily available in .338. Also, there are plenty of cast bullets and data for the .338. However, I have to say that I would leave that particular rifle as is. It is something that will appreciate faster than most other rifles (imho).
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1500172817562768582847.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	199763
    This is a pic of the letter that Ed Sheelen provided with the gun. Its nice but im justnot excited about the 7-08. I bought it and put about 50 cast boolits through it. Not sure what its worth. I may be wrong but nor sure it will apperciate. Im not sure whats its worth now.

Maybe I should try a Highpower match befor i mess with it. I need a shooting jacket.

Boolit Master
    That letter makes it more valuable. My best guess is that rifle ought to be in the $1500-2000 range. The sights alone are in the $300-350 range. The stock is possibly an original Winchester M70 "Marksman" stock. If you want to shoot it in High Power, develop a load using the Nosler Accubond Long Range 150 gr bullet. G1 BC on that bullet is .611. The same powders for match loads in .308 will work in the 7-08. And borrow a coat.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Wow I didnt know it would be worth that much.

Boolit Master
    As we all know something is worth what someone will pay. I think if you wait for the right buyer you could get that for it. Here is a similar rifle without sights and other accessories : http://www.gunbroker.com/item/668851190

You might also try these bullets https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...oint-boat-tail

Somewhat less expensive and will suit your puposes.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 07-16-2017 at 01:24 AM.
    USMC 6638

I agree you shouldn't rebore THAT rifle!
    But in the .338 vs. .358 discussion I'd recommend the .358 because of the hundreds of bullet choices for it. From 100 to 300 grains. I love mine and the ability for "What if?" loads using any cast .35 cal bullet. Or jacketed for that matter.
    Best, Thomas.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Id like a 338 Fed but I'd go 358 because I have one now . Bullet moulds make this an easy choice . 358 .

I wouldn't alter that rifle .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    If you like the rifle, don't worry about what some hypothetical collector might pay for it. That's only money; this is a rifle that you (presumably) like and would like even more in a different caliber. You'll have more money next week or next month or next quarter. Sell this rifle and you'll probably never have it again.

I vote .358 for the reasons already listed by others, and also because you can shoot cast, swaged and jacketed pistol bullets in it. For rifling twist I would go with 1:14 or 1:12". I have a Mauser '98 in .35 Whelen with a 1:14" twist and I shoot pistol bullets in it as well as rifle bullets up to and including the 280 grain 358009, which stabilizes fine.

Boolit Master
    If you're thinking of shooting cast there are a lot more mold options for .358 over .338.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    I agree with shooting a match with your 7/08 . It's almost as good as the 6.5Creedmoor.
    Don't take Nosler' s bc #s as gospel unless they have been confirmed.
    In the choice between 338 and 358, I would pick the 358 With a 12" or 14" twist. I would choose 12" myself.
    I'm not keen on selling guns anymore as over the years alot of great firearms have gone down the road that I very much wish I still had. A mat, coat , sling and spotting scope is all that needs . And a bunch of good ammo. Don't forget annealing your brass. It will reduce fliers.
    If you can find a Ruger M 77 Mk ll or Hawkeye in 358 Winchester you will have a great thumper also.
    You are being watched.

Just rebarrel it so you can out that one back on if you want
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast