Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

View Poll Results: Pick you age bracket (if you are on a dividing age mark higher one)

Voters
761. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20 and below

1 0.13%
  • 20-25

3 0.39%
  • 25-30

29 3.81%
  • 30-35

40 5.26%
  • 35-40

37 4.86%
  • 40-45

39 5.12%
  • 45-50

72 9.46%
  • 50-55

87 11.43%
  • 55-60

103 13.53%
  • 60-65

130 17.08%
  • 65-70

105 13.80%
  • 70-75

67 8.80%
  • 75-80

36 4.73%
  • 80-85

11 1.45%
  • 85 and above

1 0.13%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Casters' ages with a more uniform scale

Boolit Master
    34 here, got lucky and found this site soon after I started reloading. It sure has "saved" me a bunch of money
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    It appears that the closer to retirement age the more casters there are. Maybe kids in college and trying to eek out a living dampens the casting spirit. I started casting at 18 years old but did not do much till I was in my late 40s. Mostly because I had more hobby time.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

I just started posting on this forum last night but have been an avid follower since before I cast my first bullet only a year and a half ago. I began reloading and casting at the age of 26. My addictive personality took hold after my first firearm purchase on Halloween day 2015; I got my press for Christmas just a few months later and started casting before spring of last year. I hope to be casting well into my 60's like the majority of you, as long as I make some adjustments to my casting area soon. As I have it currently I bend over just slightly to peek under my pot while filling cavities which gets my lower back going after an hour or so.
    Last edited by bsev81; 07-20-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Misread

Quote Originally Posted by bsev81 View Post
    I just started posting on this forum last night but have been an avid follower since before I cast my first bullet only a year and a half ago. It looks like I am the youngest in the polls at the moment with only one entry in the 25-30, I began reloading and casting at the age of 26. My addictive personality took hold after my first firearm purchase on Halloween day 2015; I got my press for Christmas just a few months later and started casting before spring of last year. I hope to be casting well into my 60's like the majority of you, as long as I make some adjustments to my casting area soon. As I have it currently I bend over just slightly to peek under my pot while filling cavities which gets my lower back going after an hour or so.
    Here's a quick and easy fix for bending over...

Attachment 200032

Just raise those pots up to where you don't have to bend and peek...

c h a r l i e
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Here's a quick and easy fix for bending over...

Just raise those pots up to where you don't have to bend and peek...

c h a r l i e
    Appreciate the tip and I have been meaning to copy that setup since I saw it a while back. I'll need to get as much done as possible in the next six weeks, expecting our first little one come September.

Congratulations...your life is going to change for the better from then on out...we had out first one of three about 48 years ago but I can still remember standing by the Dr. as he pulled that little boy out of the oven...that's one of those memories you'll never forget!

Congratulations! May all your babies be born healthy and fat...and of course...n a k e d !

c h a r l i e

Boolit Master
    I'd rather be on the low end of this spectrum anyways, gives me lots of time to learn from yall .

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I'd rather be on the low end of this spectrum anyways, gives me lots of time to learn from yall .
    You will eventually be at the other end

46 Here. Been casting just a very little bit, but have the 14 year old son of my wife's coworker coming out tomorrow to learn a little casting. Going to start with some sinkers for him to use with his grandpa fishing, and then see about moving up to more interesting things from there. He's very interested right now to absorb some info. Hoping it takes root.

Boolit Master

first cast in the '60's when was still at home not married, then the draft lottery came 7 years in the Army, got real job, married kids, lost wife, two failed marriages and homeless more or less for seven years, now working at finding everything to start again. Only thing that was easy to find each time I moved was the lead, ha ha. So at my ripe old age I am going back to where I was as a kid growing up working on the farm. Even have my .225 winchester in a rifle which I did get rid of a lot of woodchucks when I was on the farm, hope the new one is as good or better than the old one and others I let go to please one of my former wives won't do that mistake again.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

No matter which way you look at it most of us are OLD !
    See if you can juggle the numbers to make us 39 again....
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Yep and no arthritis, stiff joints, sore muscles and I think I even had hair on my head back then, but I don't want to go through what I did again, wasn't fun the first time and I am sure it would be less fun a second time
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    Yep and no arthritis, stiff joints, sore muscles and I think I even had hair on my head back then, but I don't want to go through what I did again, wasn't fun the first time and I am sure it would be less fun a second time
    Hey now, hair on your head is no standard to measure age.. Mine started receding at 16 and the top began disappearing at 19. Early 20's I started shaving it bald and six years later I have never looked back . All kidding aside, much respect for all of you "experienced" guys, I hope I can still do all of this in 40 years after what i've put my body through. Every one of you are an inspiration for us younger guys!

Boolit Master

bsev81
    when I was in the military my head was shaved and so was my face. Much easier to care for and there was nothing on my head you could grab a hold of. Now I have a beard and have since I walked away from the Army a long time ago. Developed a skin infection that shaving made worse. Many of us old "experienced guys" have seen way to much and it would be nice to forget most of it, but there are times when it comes back to give us a re-run of things. Worst thing about no head hair is you can feel every breeze that goes by, ha ha As to shaving your head I have been doing it for over 40 years now, not sure I could deal with a head of hair again
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Shdwlkr
    First and foremost, thank you for your service.

Since I started shaving my head I've always had a beard to some degree, my face never fared well shaved smooth. I can handle a breeze on the dome but five minutes in the sun and I pay for it a week later. I also agree that I wouldn't know what to do with a head of hair now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bsev81 View Post
    Shdwlkr
    First and foremost, thank you for your service.

Since I started shaving my head I've always had a beard to some degree, my face never fared well shaved smooth. I can handle a breeze on the dome but five minutes in the sun and I pay for it a week later. I also agree that I wouldn't know what to do with a head of hair now.
    I'm not losing my hair, its migrating south for the winter....

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    We can all blame the wife for our interest in casting since it seems to come into play when they start the change. The poll seems to indicate I am correct. There is a big jump in the 45 year and up area.

Menopause is generally considered complete when a woman has not had a period for one year. Menopause, often referred to as "the change of life", usually occurs between the ages of 45 – 55 years with the average age being 52 years.

that means a lot of hiding in the basement huddled by your melters and molds! lol....me, I haven't clipped on the ball and chain just yet... im only 30 after all
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I'm not losing my hair, its migrating south for the winter....
    It's gonna be a long Winter.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I just noticed that if you turn that graph 90* counter clockwise...it looks like a hill...the pinnacle is the 60-65 boys....'Oooop's, it's official, I'm over the hill now!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast