WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Pick you age bracket (if you are on a dividing age mark higher one)

Voters
761. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20 and below

1 0.13%
  • 20-25

3 0.39%
  • 25-30

29 3.81%
  • 30-35

40 5.26%
  • 35-40

37 4.86%
  • 40-45

39 5.12%
  • 45-50

72 9.46%
  • 50-55

87 11.43%
  • 55-60

103 13.53%
  • 60-65

130 17.08%
  • 65-70

105 13.80%
  • 70-75

67 8.80%
  • 75-80

36 4.73%
  • 80-85

11 1.45%
  • 85 and above

1 0.13%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Casters' ages with a more uniform scale

Boolit Master

Casters' ages with a more uniform scale

There is another thread with the same question but the grouping of years is not consistent. I hope to come up with a more accurate result

Just click on your age bracket and leave comments in replies
    Last edited by Walter Laich; 07-17-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I have been casting for over 40 years at this point. I still have a lot to learn.
    There are new techniques and data on here all the time.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been casting my own bullets since '68. I think a better poll would be how many years have you been casting instead of how old are you now. Or the year you started casting.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Ditto ... I've been casting since I was 18 years old and I'm 64 now ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

I didn't start casting until I was about 60. I'm 75 now and enjoying it immensely. I didn't really get back into guns until my sons finished their educations and I could start saving & investing for retirement. They both ended up with doctorates and loans but are doing well and much of my casting and loading activity has been in support of them.

I've been fortunate in that my health is relatively good(compared to what I see at WallyWorld), and I hope to be active for another 10 years.
    John
    W.TN

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I started exploring the possibilities just about 11 yr ago .
    The potential cost was just overwhelming what with all of the stuff you HAD to have . Somebody finally said something to the effect of if it will chamber it's not too big , you can get by without out a sizer ...... Try the Lee push through .........

Wow what a long way I've come in so short a time !
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy

Started with Dad in 67-68, 4years off for military,another 20 to raise the family and build a house (yes I built it ,not had it built).
    Another 20 working 60+ a week,finally back to it the year I found this wonderful place.Research is so much easier here than Dad's stacks and stacks of printed material (which I treasure dearly).

Thanks Bruce B. and Larry G. and so many others.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

I'll be 60 next month. I started casting,with supervision, at about 11 or around 1968. I missed some time during High School (Girls) and a little more when the boys were in college.

one thing for sure you never get too old to enjoy the smell of some good gunpowder

Boolit Bub
    Will turn 35 at the end of this month...started about 7 or 8 years ago with a Lee 2 cav, Lee bottom pour 10lb pot, LLA lube and a push-through sizer. It has been downhill ever since then.

Boolit Buddy
    I started casting in 1974, under my Dad's close supervision, at the age of 12. The first mould I ever poured lead into was an early Lyman/Ideal No.429421 Hollow Point.

In fact, it was this very one...
    Attachment 199745

Boolit Grand Master

Ill be 55 next month. Started hunting shooting around 8 years old. Started casting around 18 for a renegade in 50 caliber both round balls and maxi balls. In Ohio then it was shotgun slugs or muzzle loader.

Boolit Master
    I've been casting something since I was 10 or so, starting out with handmade teardrop sinkers that I could wrap around my fishing line when trout fishing. It didn't work as well as split shot, but I was determined......at the time I didn't know that the tin can I was using was soldered together until I noticed it was leaking......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Been casting for the better part 35 years. Started with a small cast iron pot on a gas stove with a ladle now use an RCBS elecric pot.

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,
    The long road paved in LEAD.....I started casting 36 years ago. Then it was the only way I could afford/use the neighbors revolver.
    I just had a buddy over and we happened to be where I have my "Pile" of soft lead to be made into ingots. He asked if I thought I would ever use it all? The look on his face when I told him what he was looking at when mixed with WW was enough for just over 2 years. We then went down to my my "room" and I showed him the boolits that are cast,lubed and boxed ready to load. Complete look of awe!!! I said "Yep" about 2 years worth ready to go!
    The best part of shooting cast boolits....is making more!!
    Have an awesome weekend..

Boolit Master
    I've been casting for 40 yrs. Seems like yesterday when I bought my first Lyman mold for $10.00.

Boolit Grand Master
    Practice makes perfect

If you cast 10-15,000 bullets a year, and have 5 years experience, you may be more proficient than someone who casts 2,000 a year for 10 years.

If you cast for both pistols and rifles in 8+ calibers, you are likely a better caster than someone who casts for two pistol calibers.

Then as my boss used to say, one years experience repeated 30 times, means you will have little skill or knowledge.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

About what I figured - the vast majority are 50-75 yrs old.

Buncha dang curmudgeons. Or, as in my case, curmudgeons in training.

Boolit Master

I remember being fascinated by the realization that you could make your own bullets during my high school years, 67 to 70. I was in junior rifle club and shooting every week small bore at 50 feet and the pistol club members always left some of their collective equipment out to be looked at. They were big into the 38 wad cutters and made " chinese hardball" with the 452 341 round nose one lube groove.(I should look up that number but time is short right now) It was to be about 20 years before I got into casting myself. I started out with a 309160 single cavity for my 30-30 handy rifle , it worked well right off the bat. Then years later castboolits came along and I have learned a lot. Now my "chinese hardball" looks like lipstick and goes bang and generally goes where I want it to.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

36yo here. Don't cast, shoot, hunt near as much as I'd like. Family and work take precedence. It's nice to be able to flip on a pot while I tidy up for the night and cast a few hundred to relax the mind and wind down.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast