Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would make you a silencer buyer?

Boolit Master
    I bet a lot of people will have erzats shooting ranges in their basements. Take one 9mm or 45 ACP handgun, add one silencer per weapon and stir in several boxes of subsonic ammunition. Presto! a 50 foot shooting range that doesn't crank off the neighbors...
    [

Vendor Sponsor

Nothing I have a few already
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I bet a lot of people will have erzats shooting ranges in their basements. Take one 9mm or 45 ACP handgun, add one silencer per weapon and stir in several boxes of subsonic ammunition. Presto! a 50 foot shooting range that doesn't crank off the neighbors...
    You can already build a tube in your basement that's going to muffle the sound a lot more. They're a lot cheaper than a silencer, even if they come off the NFA. There is nothing illegal about building one.

I already have a few. I already built a few. They are PPE plain and simple. You still need to wear hearing protection when using them. I foresee a lot of hearing damage if people start shooting w/ out plugs and/or muffs while using a silencer.

Boolit Master

Trying to find a round tuit for #4. If they were regulated the same as firearms or less, I'd have them already.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Considering the fact that, these days, I'm pretty much a 'rifle guy' and rarely shoot anything that's subsonic at the muzzle I can't see myself generating much enthusiasm for any sort of suppressor. Years ago, I made up one on a spare barrel for one of my HS Citation .22s...using RWS Indoor Match, you could hear the slide cycle...but it destroyed the balance of the gun and masked the factory sights so, after tinkering with it for awhile, I dismantled it, tossed the pieces into the scrap bin, and moved on to more productive projects.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

They really shine when you can shoot them some place other than a public range. If you have to wear hearing protection all the time, it may not be worth it. I have 19 of them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I don't really get-it with silencers, the ones I've heard weren't that quiet. And, I seem to shoot better scores with warmer 1000fps + handloads.
    Even shooting supersonic, there's a bit difference between a suppressed and unsuppressed report, similar to the difference between shooting a
    223 and a .22LR.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I don't really get-it with silencers, the ones I've heard weren't that quiet. And, I seem to shoot better scores with warmer 1000fps + handloads.
    Definately different levels of "quality" out there.
    On my bolt action rifles, I can hear the firing pin drop.

My most used is a .22lr on a walther p22.
    Unfortunately, it is straight blowback action and a lot of noise comes out the wrong end.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

I'd buy one, if they were legal here in NY
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    #2 for me, currently it's just out of the price range for my interest level. If it were available with a $25 transfer instead of the huge wait + tax stamp then yeah i'd grab one or two.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You can already build a tube in your basement that's going to muffle the sound a lot more. They're a lot cheaper than a silencer, even if they come off the NFA. There is nothing illegal about building one.

I already have a few. I already built a few. They are PPE plain and simple. You still need to wear hearing protection when using them. I foresee a lot of hearing damage if people start shooting w/ out plugs and/or muffs while using a silencer.
    Why don't you try and ask the ATF if its legal to build one in your basement. Without that "stamp" you're as illegal as a unregistered handgun.

Boolit Master

There is no requirement to register a handgun. Provided you live in a FREE State.

There is a big penalty for not registering a silencer before you build it, anywhere in the USA.

I own 4 now with paid tax. I will own more tax or not if the new stuff passes many more.

Just because YOU [for the guys who say they have no need or wants] don't get one but do not STOP me.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    There is no requirement to register a handgun. Provided you live in a FREE State.

There is a big penalty for not registering a silencer before you build it, anywhere in the USA.

I own 4 now with paid tax. I will own more tax or not if the new stuff passes many more.

Just because YOU [for the guys who say they have no need or wants] don't get one but do not STOP me.
    Just because I stated I have no use for one doesn't mean you should not have the opertunity to own or use one. If you wish to have one, go for it!

And enjoy it!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Abolishment of the $200 TAX STAMP and the wait period.
    I have used several and it is nice to run silent. Custom loads and the right setup makes for pleasant plinking.

Moderator Emeritus

I would like my granddaughter to not be intimidated by noise, yet be able to hear range commands.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

You have a poll....
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-for-silencers

I've got two. Bought first for my wife to use, and bqckd into second after picking up the first. Took me 11 months the second time! Stupid long! I do like them. Bought aftermarket barrel for g17 for first. Bought a Walther ppx already threaded and bought an AR pistol thread that I can use my second one with. Oh, and my wife's 22 works well, but the 9mm silencer is heavy. Id buy a $200 model for a 22 in a heartbeat.. there are some 3d printed ones out there that work with 22 that would be sweet. Just can't stand the long wait and the extra tax stamp cost
    Last edited by Handloader109; 07-15-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Boolit Master

#2 I don't mind the background check. At my age any info the government has won't be valid too many more years.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

#4, my NFA trust owns one and a couple of SBR's.

Boolit Grand Master

2 or 3. If they do that, I'll be investing heavily in them

Boolit Master
    I own three commercial cans, one homemade one, and have approved Form1 stamps to build three more. Four years ago I had none.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast