Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would make you a silencer buyer?

Boolit Master

What would make you a silencer buyer?

Maybe someone more familiar with the mechanics of the forum could make a poll out of this.

1: I would never buy a silencer, they're dumb.

2: I would buy one if they were like buying a handgun, background check, etc,

3: I would buy one only if they were sold as an accessory, like grips, or a sling and I could get it mail order.

4: I already own one and have gone through the NFA paper chase.
    [

Boolit Master
    4. I own several and expect to take home two more this fall.

If any of the deregulation acts pass, I will ager we could see some ranges requiring them as safety equipment.

Boolit Master
    Tinnitus.

Boolit Master

What would make you a silencer buyer?

Money

Banned

if they were OTC I would buy several.
    actually I would make several.

#3 if they were built to be fixable, modular for different amounts of 'suppression'. Would allow a lot more research and development, i.e. better parts, reduced cost.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Get rid of the (insert a LOT of intemperate words here) .Gov garbage and I would build so many of them my wife would probably be making wind chimes with the overflow,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I would get one the minute I was able. I am pretty sure my commy state is actually considering a bill or two allowing them. I am not holding my breath waiting though.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    uhhhh . . . if I was Sicilian and got a job with the Mob?

Boolit Buddy
    3 or 2 would be nice. My 1st can is in ATF jail now.

Boolit Master

As soon as they come off the NFA list I'll assemble my own for S&Gs, but until then my peltors will have to do.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    #2 or 3 !
    I only have a couple of real barkers that would make a huge difference and only a couple with muzzle threads .

Even if I had to do a 4473 and pay the $25 I'd have 3-5 as fast as I could get my cards out ! A 25,30 and 45 cal for rifles and 35/38/9mm and 45 pistol compatible units . I'd probably even spring for an integral 12ga bbl or 2 !
    But as it stands laying out $600-1000 for an item I'm buying blind from a magazine ad through a class 3 dealer and another $200 for an item I can't take possession for a yr just makes me cold to the idea .

Imagine if it were a brand new 2018 (insert the most amazing vehicle ever with everything you ever wanted custom fitted so it just felt like that favorite jacket ) you saved your pennies , walked into your dealership with cash . You pay the established price , tax , title , doc fee and FET . The sales rep takes you out and walks you around it hands you the keys and the lot kid drives it over to the storage warehouse and says you can pick it up July 9th 2018 , unless some random person behind a desk 3000 miles away decides some random character flaw is too much of a risk . Then you're just out the money .
    I could warm up to Antarctica quicker .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I don't really get-it with silencers, the ones I've heard weren't that quiet. And, I seem to shoot better scores with warmer 1000fps + handloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if they were OTC I would buy several.
    actually I would make several.
    This is also my answer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I don't really get-it with silencers, the ones I've heard weren't that quiet. And, I seem to shoot better scores with warmer 1000fps + handloads.
    A well built Silencer WILL save your hearing and the hearing of those around you. Outdoor ranges near residential areas would have a better relationship with it's neighbors. You could do away with the bulky hot to the ears hearing protectors, and you wouldn't have to wear hearing protection while hunting.
    Lot's of good reasons to have and use Silencers.
    AND, if you're as yellow as your Avatar looks, quickly go to your Internist.

ADMIN

I own several and have built a couple.

I guess mainly its the ITS COOL factor.

Unless your shooting subsonics out of a 22 pistol, they "silencers" aren't very silent at all.
    The correct terminology would be suppressor because they suppress the sound.
    I have commercial cans in 22lr, 223 and 45 acp.
    I have home built cans in 22lr x 2 and have 2 tax stamps approved but haven't built yet (223 and 308)
    One of the home-built 22 cans in a integral suppressed Ruger Mk III 22/45. With subsonic ammo you can here the action cycle, the brass hit the ground and the bullet hit the target.
    With standard bulk box it is just as quiet as my other 22/45 with the commercial can shooting subs

Now with all that said, I can shoot any of the 22 suppressed weapons in my back yard and you can't tell a firearm was fired from the front yard.
    Now, the 223 suppressor knocks the sound down to the level of a unsuppressed 22 lr rifle. its still loud but isn't as loud.
    You still hear the supersonic crack.

The 45 can shot dry is barely hearing safe. Now put 4cc of water in the can and shoot 230 lead rn standard rounds and its just as quiet as a suppressed 22 shooting standard ammo.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    #2 or 3 !
    I only have a couple of real barkers that would make a huge difference and only a couple with muzzle threads .

Even if I had to do a 4473 and pay the $25 I'd have 3-5 as fast as I could get my cards out ! A 25,30 and 45 cal for rifles and 35/38/9mm and 45 pistol compatible units . I'd probably even spring for an integral 12ga bbl or 2 !
    But as it stands laying out $600-1000 for an item I'm buying blind from a magazine ad through a class 3 dealer and another $200 for an item I can't take possession for a yr just makes me cold to the idea .

Imagine if it were a brand new 2018 (insert the most amazing vehicle ever with everything you ever wanted custom fitted so it just felt like that favorite jacket ) you saved your pennies , walked into your dealership with cash . You pay the established price , tax , title , doc fee and FET . The sales rep takes you out and walks you around it hands you the keys and the lot kid drives it over to the storage warehouse and says you can pick it up July 9th 2018 , unless some random person behind a desk 3000 miles away decides some random character flaw is too much of a risk . Then you're just out the money .
    I could warm up to Antarctica quicker .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Where I shoot and at my age I have no need for one!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

My 22 WMR
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    This looks like a true money maker. If S&W and the rest of the gun industry invest in this...and it gets pulled out of the NFA...gun makers will finally have a totaly new product that will sell like hot cakes. Here's a product you can sell to people who already own a gun. You have an established customer base. It's a marketing dream come true.
    [

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast