Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Shield

Boolit Master

S&W Shield

I see that there are some sales on the Shield and I was thinking about purchasing one there are two options with most models some have a thumb safety and some do not have a thumb safety. If no thumb safety where is it does it even have a safety? I've always been a revolver man so this semi auto stuff is new to me.

RB

ADMIN

They are like a glock.
    They have a trigger safety. It prevents the trigger from full travel unless it is pushed.
    Its located in the center of the trigger pad.

The best deal happened a few weeks ago. PSA had a sale plus the rebates put the shield down to $200

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I picked up three @ $220 each. For that quality at that price I don't feel bad about leaving it in the glovebox like I would my Sig.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    That safety is so small that it is difficult to operate. I am still coming to terms with mine. The magazines are very hard to load--nearly impossible to fully load with out a Maglula or similar device. Accuracy is decent, it is fairly comfortable to shoot, mine has not malfunctioned at all, the trigger is pretty heavy, I'd give it a "B" overall.

I got mine as a "disposable"gun. One that i could count on to go bang, but that I would not miss if it ended up in a pile in an evidence locker while I waited for some homicide defective to finish his report so the District Attorney could sit on it for a year or two.

However, Unless it is significantly cheaper, like mine was, I think I would get a compact Glock instead a Shield.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 07-16-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    If having a bit larger safety to hit makes you feel better, get the 45 Shield. The safety is noticeably larger than on the 9 and 40.

A bit of training as to hand placement makes the safety on the 9 and 40 manageable. If you don't want a safety you have the option of not having one to deal with.

Boolit Master

I got four, two 9mm's and two .45's. After I wring them out, 2 of them will go to family.

Check recent threads here. Lots of discussion about difficult safety's and stiff magazine springs. For loading magazines, the Uplula loader was recommended. They WORK!

Has anyone received a rebate yet? I submitted the forms on the 9mm's about 3 weeks ago and on the 45's just yesterday. If they follow standard practice on rebates it will be about another 2-3 months. BTW I ordered the .45's before the rebates ended.

At least we are dealing with a reputable company. A couple of years ago I finally broke down and got the wife and I smartphones. They had a rebate deal too. I swear they rejected the first two applications for reasons I never did understand. I think they could sense that I wasn't holding my mouth right or my stamp on the envelope wasn't placed exactly correct.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 07-15-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: clarify rebate submission on 45's
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Thanks for the reply's looks like I'll have to go and get one in hand and see how well the safety operates.

RB

For me I do not want a safety to deal with. one less thing to think of if need to use it.I also a wheel gun ,it took some get use to a semi auto. So for the DA trigger on them is good enough for me.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm pretty much like you - always been a revolver guy but have owned several semi-autos.

I have a 9mm Shield with a thumb safety because I thought I would ALWAYS use it and just thumb sweep it. I carry the Shield now most of the time (my other favorite was a Smith 36 snub).

The safety on my Shield is rather stiff - i.e. you'd have to work at it to accidentally knock it on or off. Are crying it now and having shot it a lot, I carry it with the safety off and I have no qualms about it. It is in a Fobus OWB holster where the trigger guard is fully covered when carrying and the finger never goes on the trigger until ready to fire.

It boils down to what you prefer and are comfortable with. If I am shooting at range then I do use the safety - but for CCW, it never is on and one is in the chamber so it is ready if ever needed in a SD situation.

IF the safety on mine was not stiff - i.e. could easily be knocked off or on - then I would be switching mine out for a Shield without a safety for my CCW.

The Shield is a great handgun - mine runs without a problem with any factory SD rounds or any of my cast loads regardless of boolit design.

Remember that this is a DA semi so in essence, it is not really any different than carrying a DA revolver - it just sort of takes a little time to wrap your head around that but once you get used to it, it's sort of second nature.

Good luck to you! I like mine so much that at some point, I'll pick up one of the 45 Shields.

Boolit Grand Master
    If your gun has a safety and it is carried with the safety supposedly off, it is often suggested that one still moves the thumb to disengage it. The reasoning is that it is better to be sure it is disengaged when you desperately need it to be disengaged rather than assuming it will be disengaged when you need it.

The trigger pull is both lighter than a typical DA revolver and much shorter.

FWIW.

Boolit Master

I purchased 2 in 9mm. For carry I'm mostly a J frame snubby or 1911 guy but at these prices they make good spares.
    As far as the rebate... Sent mine in about 2 months ago. Still waiting.

Boolit Master

So is there a difference on the trigger pull between the "Safety" and "Trigger Safety" model? Thinking about the 45 model now as I prefer big bullets over lighter fast ones.

RB

Banned
    My wife just purchased a Shield in 45acp with the thumb safety. Its a great little gun with the July 1 st promotion additional magazines coming along with a coupon for the defense ammo. At least I assume there will be a coupon other than them shipping us ammo.

They can be had with either the thumb safety of the trigger safety. The thumb safety model's trigger pull was much better. We target shoot and try to come up with triggers we can both be happy with. I can see an officer wanting a trigger safety like the Glock models. Having shot both and owning Glocks I would rate this gun with high marks. Trigger pull (thumb safety model) is crisp and clean without the usual slop the Glocks have.

Haven't tried my 200 gr SWC's or 185 SWC's 45's yet but it functions flawlessly with the standard 230 RN.

Update:

Wife received the two magazines, the magazine loader by Caldwell, and the two boxes of critical defense ammo. Didn't take too long as she purchased the Shield the 5 th of July and the package arrived on Fri the 8th of Sept.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 09-10-2017 at 07:07 AM. Reason: additional

Boolit Master
    I mailed my rebate claim back in April. Just before the 4th of July, I got an e-mail stating that the response had been greater than expected and checks were delayed... At least they acknowledged I sent the documentation and THEY received it.

More likely, with post election stock slump, funds are likely scarce...
    I've owned dozens of smiths, but this may be the last...

Boolit Buddy
    I have the no thumb safety model and went with that model, because I use to carry the full size version, with out the safety, for a duty sidearm. After firing the 45 Shield, I was shocked at how little difference there is between the recoil of that model vs the full size. As it's primary use for me is for concealed carry, I like the flush bottom mag vs the extended version. Its accuracy is at least on par and maybe a bit better than the full size even with the shorter sight radius - but both my comparisons are based on my original issued sidearm vs my privately owned shield. I have approximately 200 rounds through my Shield at this time, all sorts of FMJ's, HP's and target and training ammo, some partial boxes, loose rounds and reloads (just no cast yet). Not a single issue or malfunction and I've used both mags. I have since reduced the extended mag, to the flush type, with a new floor plate and the bottom plate which retains it. On rare occasions, I'll carry a S&W model 60 with 38+P's. For me, it just the way I've been taught and trained over the years, if I have to pull it out to use it, I don't want to deal with a thumb safety - just point and shoot, only if absolutely necessary. Best of luck with your choice, I really like mine. I'm not telling S&W, but after 6 months of use and carry, I would have paid double for it. Bill in MA

Banned

Ive got a 40 and just put a dab of super glue on the safety and ignore it. Great little gun for the 400 I paid. A steal for little over 200 that there going for now. You just wont by more of a ccw gun for under 300 bucks. I like my 43 too but for the price I paid for it I could by two shields today and have money over to take the wife out to eat!

Excellent sd pistols - easy carry dirt reliable. My wife has the 9 and I had the .40 but it shot too low so I sold it. The .45 looks good. I like the safety models.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I liked the thumb safety one just fine. Wasn't hard to use IMO, especially compared to the relatively few other small guns that have them. Really wish I could have gotten a couple on the smoking deals recently.

Boolit Master
    I received my rebate last week. I was happy to see it was a check not a card.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I received my rebate last week. I was happy to see it was a check not a card.
    How long ago did you send in for it? Which rebate was it? I believe there is a money rebate out there as well as a magazine and ammunition rebate. The wife sent in on the magazine and ammunition rebate as it was day 2 of that rebate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast