Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data

Thread: The Power of Prayer in Faith

The Power of Prayer in Faith

Elijah's prayer for rain,

(1 Kings 18:41-46) "¶ And Elijah said unto Ahab, Get thee up, eat and drink; for there is a sound of abundance of rain. {42} So Ahab went up to eat and to drink. And Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; and he cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees, {43} And said to his servant, Go up now, look toward the sea. And he went up, and looked, and said, There is nothing. And he said, Go again seven times. {44} And it came to pass at the seventh time, that he said, Behold, there ariseth a little cloud out of the sea, like a man’s hand. And he said, Go up, say unto Ahab, Prepare thy chariot, and get thee down, that the rain stop thee not. {45} And it came to pass in the mean while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode, and went to Jezreel. {46} And the hand of the LORD was on Elijah; and he girded up his loins, and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel."

Elisha prays for his servants vision,

(2 Kings 6:13-18) "¶ And he said, Go and spy where he is, that I may send and fetch him. And it was told him, saying, Behold, he is in Dothan. {14} Therefore sent he thither horses, and chariots, and a great host: and they came by night, and compassed the city about. {15} And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do? {16} And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. {17} And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha. {18} And when they came down to him, Elisha prayed unto the LORD, and said, Smite this people, I pray thee, with blindness. And he smote them with blindness according to the word of Elisha."

I'm not going to offer what you should take away from these two examples of prayers offered to THE LORD in full knowledge that He hears. That's for you to decide.

God bless gentlemen.

Moderator Emeritus

Prayer is indeed a VERY potent thing, but like a gun, it has to be wielded with precision and adeptness oftentimes, for it to work as we wish it to. The other type of prayer, IMO, is the one offered up in desperation and fear - the "Save me/us" type of prayer, that we cannot help but pray in earnest and to the depths of our being. I think God knows our innermost thoughts, values and sentiments, and these can often, I believe, affect how He answers our prayers. Like any loving "Parent," God wants us to govern our thoughts and aspirations just as much as he wants us to govern our behavior. Thus, I believe, He sometimes gives us what we need to learn what we need to learn in order to GET what we want. He always answers our prayers, and if He doesn't answer them as we wanted, then that's often a sign that we need to rethink our position and reevaluate our motives for praying as we did. Only a pure heart gets all of our Lord's attention, I believe. But when we truly believe, and truly focus all our being on a prayer, it's pretty well limitless as to what it can achieve. What a humbling thing for God to give a willful bunch like us!

I truly believe that the Lord helps those best who help themselves.
    Those who are prepared, so when evil times come they have what they need to survive.

We need to do our part. And we need to be willing to help those who lived high on the fat of the land and set nothing aside for evil times. Yes, even them who persecuted us.

We need to judge not, forgive as Jesus forgives. Love not hate. And we need to be ready. Or so it seems to me.

Boolit Master
    We often ask, yet don't receive, because we ask for the wrong reasons. We must also pray in God's full confidence ie, we must pray in faith that God's will be done in all things, and accept that. I pray a lot of prayers of praise and thanksgiving, for forgiveness, for others wellbeing, and that He open my eyes to do his will in humility and accept His guidance for my life.

Moderator Emeritus

I think we need to be careful what we pray for.....In our Bible Study one of the men suggested that praying for healing, comfort, or what ever if granted by God might be against what He had planned to do to remedy the problem. I have pondered that thought as well and yet I have to pray for those asking for relief or healing.....it is up to God to say yes or know to my/our prayer and He does know what is right for us....IMHO....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Good comments ! In every prayer given we want GOD's will be done above all .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Paul I often include when praying for healing that Gods will be done.
    I do not see what he see's.
    So I will ask, but I ask in such a way as to not run contrary to his will.

Sometimes his will is to bring someone home to heaven. Sometimes it is to heal, sometimes it is a long long fading spiral with nothing good at the end of it.

Not ours to judge.

Well put gentlemen, why would we want to pray for anything outside of God's will? There are those who might say that to pray in God's will is a cop out, leaving room for unanswered prayers. I believe that any prayer outside God's will is wasted.

My understanding with The Father is that Thy will be done is implicit in my prayers, even though I sometimes forget to say it directly.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

We need to judge not, forgive as Jesus forgives. Love not hate. And we need to be ready. Or so it seems to me.
    Would you please define "hate"?

I often see it in this forum that there seems to be an attitude that disagreement with someone constitutes "hate".

Sorry, but it does seem that some Christians have picked up "hate" as a buzzword and attempt to use it as liberals use it...that is to twist the meaning to be any type of disagreement or lack of acceptance of someone's position on something. When used in this manner, it is at best, disingenuous and at worst, dishonest.

First off, I don't consider a difference of opinion hate.
    Now if that person you disagree with over the course of time makes a point of jumping into any post you make, picking on anything that they can find to pick on. I think you could call that hate. They have shown ill will. They wish you destroyed.

intense or passionate dislike.
    "feelings of hate and revenge"
    synonyms: hatred, loathing, detestation, dislike, distaste, abhorrence, abomination, execration, aversion;

Do you hold ill will in your heart? Are you holding a grudge? Did someone hurt you and are you still nursing that hurt?

I am no expert, I am a self taught farm boy.

Hate, pain, ill will, is corrosive, it will spread over time, it will eat you alive from the inside. It will over time do more bad to you than the object of that focus.

Jesus called us to forgive those who harmed us, to turn the other cheek. To love.
    How can you understand someone who hurt you if you can not forgive it? Once you understand why that person did what they did. That they were in pain, tormented, frustrated, and end up lashing out.

Misery loves company. If your in enough pain you start feeling like you want to dish it out.

But that is not the answer. Don't judge, accept, forgive, love.

Not easy.
    At least that is the way I see it.

I don't think I pick up anything as a "buzzword" I don't watch a lot of TV, never the news.

I have been hated, picked on, teased unmercifully, made fun of. It is no fun. I have also held grudges and ill will against those who hurt me in the past. In some cases for a long long time. In the end it took a lot of hard work to wash that **** clean. Lots of tears, lots of remembered pain, lots of forgiveness. Without the Lord's "Peace like a river" I could never have done it.
    Last edited by GhostHawk; 07-18-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Boolit Master

When I am lead to pray for a situation I sometimes spend a day or two praying for the Spirit to guide my prayers. That may seem convoluted to some, it's just that I am trying to get the "me" out of prayer. When I can do that I know my petitions are perfected by the Spirit. Prayer is sometimes hard work. Faith that they are being heard by Almighty God is the prize.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Perma-Banned

Now if that person you disagree with over the course of time makes a point of jumping into any post you make, picking on anything that they can find to pick on. I think you could call that hate. They have shown ill will. They wish you destroyed.
    I agree with the majority of the points that you made...except this. I think that people can legitimately challenge what you or I say, without it being hate and I think that it is a real stretch for this challenge to indicate ill will or their desire to destroy us...WHAT???? I think this is a prime example of twisting the meaning of hate and the intent of the individual in what is taking place. I don't know about you, but there are MANY people that I vehemently disagree with, and will challenge frequently, but I DO NOT harbor "hate" or hold ill will for any of them and I certainly do not desire to destroy them.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 07-19-2017 at 03:43 AM.

Boolit Master

On several occasions people have called me a "prayer warrior,"meant as a compliment. Not me friend. Least of all not me. A prayer supplicant, if anything, since I first truly understood the blood-bought gift of prayer. The privilege of approaching the throne of Grace with Jesus Christ as my Advocate and the Spirit as my Guide is as close to God I can get. There is room only for humility, praise and thanksgiving. Faith becomes reality in that kind of time with Him.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    We need to judge not, forgive as Jesus forgives. Love not hate.

We're not told "judge not" and stop there. We are told to be careful and wise in our judgment because we are to have the same measure applied to us. Forgive is just that. Love the sinner, hate the sin, is quite doable but takes a conscious effort not to confuse the two!

People can, yes. But if you do it consistently? Regularly?
    Maybe a little self inspection is called for as to "why"?

And with that I am going to drop this right here.
    I was not thinking of you when I posted that.
    I was not thinking of any one person.

I am not accusing anyone of anything.

Do you do this often to others? Why?

Speaking for myself only it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    Hate? Probably not. Argumentative? Yeah. You could even go as far as hair splitting.

You took one word out of a post, asked me to define it, and took issue with it.
    I am not judging you. I do not say you are wrong. I do not disagree.

I do ask why do you do what you do? Does it bring people closer to the Lord?
    Does it uplift? Does it leave people feeling good about themselves and others?

So why do you do it?

You do not need to answer any of these. Not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I agree with the majority of the points that you made...except this. I think that people can legitimately challenge what you or I say, without it being hate and I think that it is a real stretch for this challenge to indicate ill will or their desire to destroy us...WHAT???? I think this is a prime example of twisting the meaning of hate and the intent of the individual in what is taking place. I don't know about you, but there are MANY people that I vehemently disagree with, and will challenge frequently, but I DO NOT harbor "hate" or hold ill will for any of them and I certainly do not desire to destroy them.

Perma-Banned

People can, yes. But if you do it consistently? Regularly?
    Maybe a little self inspection is called for as to "why"?

And with that I am going to drop this right here.
    I was not thinking of you when I posted that.
    I was not thinking of any one person.

I am not accusing anyone of anything.

Do you do this often to others? Why?

Speaking for myself only it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    Hate? Probably not. Argumentative? Yeah. You could even go as far as hair splitting.

You took one word out of a post, asked me to define it, and took issue with it.
    I am not judging you. I do not say you are wrong. I do not disagree.

I do ask why do you do what you do? Does it bring people closer to the Lord?
    Does it uplift? Does it leave people feeling good about themselves and others?

So why do you do it?

You do not need to answer any of these. Not to me.
    Well, to begin with...I disagree with people on subjects other than Christianity.

I, typically, do not challenge folks on their beliefs...and my question on "hate" was not directed toward disagreement on spiritual issues...it was in general. I did not intend to touch a sore spot with you...and the introspection comment...well, it can flow both ways, my friend.

I also believe that Christians should not wear their feelings on the sleeve...but that is just my opinion.

Boolit Master

Seems that James 4: 6 - 11 is an appropriate passage to interject here. The "S" word is one that does sit well with the "old man" that remains in me.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Thank you Hogtamer, I agree.