Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 98(or before) mausers calibers or modern calibers?

Banned

98(or before) mausers calibers or modern calibers?

well i'm starting this one so there!!!

7x57 or 7mm-08

now i like both of them but i'm gotta say i luv 7x57. mostly because i have a fondness for old calibers. the 7-08 is more than enough to kill a deer, but the 7x57 is the best deer cartridge ever.

Boolit Master

i go with the 7mm-08, but you could very well flip a coin for all the practical difference between the 2.

It's not a good idea to chamber pre-98 Mauser's for high-pressure cartridges like the .308 Win (which the 7mm-08 is based on), as they just don't have the safety features of the 1898/98 Mauser's.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

From 6mm Remington to .375 Nitro Rimless 2 1/4" that 57mm case is hard to beat. Old Herr Mauser got much right back then; but the Swedes, especially Husqvarna with their tweaked commercial versions, may have taken Mauser actions beyond Mauserto their peak.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    I agree; 7x57 is the best deer cartridge in existence!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    I agree; 7x57 is the best deer cartridge in existence!
    It very probably is. I've shot one doe with it and she dropped right there.
    AND- P.O. Ackley said it was too!

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    From 6mm Remington to .375 Nitro Rimless 2 1/4" that 57mm case is hard to beat. Old Herr Mauser got much right back then; but the Swedes, especially Husqvarna with their tweaked commercial versions, may have taken Mauser actions beyond Mauserto their peak.
    You forgot the 5.6 x 57. And I think the 1909Argentine is the zenith of Mauser. Some think the P14 Enfield is......but the Swedes are gems!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You forgot the 5.6 x 57. And I think the 1909Argentine is the zenith of Mauser. Some think the P14 Enfield is......but the Swedes are gems!
    Nah, I left the 5.6 and 10.75 out because the case is a bit too much for one and not enough for the other.

True, the Argentine is a beauty, as is the Mexican; but I'll still pick Husqy commercials.

The P14 is a great fat pig, too big and heavy for all but elephant rifles; and if we stretch the Mauser that far we have to include M70s, Springfields, and early Sakos, all better than the Enfield.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Love that 7x57mm. Very effective, mild recoil. Have a very custom 1891 Argentine re-barreled to that cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Our family has much love for the 7-08 only because the savage 110's do not come in 7x57. But I personally have more luv for the mauser cartridges in any caliber because they are the originals and we have not improved much over them with our american contributions.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=pietro;4100362].

It's not a good idea to chamber pre-98 Mauser's for high-pressure cartridges like the .308 Win (which the 7mm-08 is based on), as they just don't have the safety features of the 1898/98 Mauser's.

That is a good guideline. There is no substitute for using the best action for the application.
    But Israel rebarreled thousands of model 96 Mausers to 308. Fought several border wars and numerous battles with them. Have not read any failures. We had 4 (still have one) and after thousands of fired rounds never a hiccup.
    I would not consider the model 1888 or previous models. But it would be interesting to know what it would take to destroy the model 93/96 Mausers.
    The 7x57 is one fine caliber. More than equal to the 308 especially when hand loaded in a modern steel action to the full potential it can produce.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

In the family(nephew owns it currently) is a "Guild gun"- a 98 sportered in Germany in 7x57.
    They hand filed the steps from the barrel, carved the military club down to a svelte Schnable style, mirror polished and deep blue. The spoon type bolt handle cracked at the weld so I replaced it with a normal style from Brownells. The barrel was 27" long so I cut 4" off and the handling, looks and accuracy all improved. It wears a reissue Leupold 6x Alaskan. One of my brothers used it to take a 5x5 elk when it was his turn to own it.
    It carries like a dream and shoots wonderfully for a military barrel.
    7x57 for a Mauser action; 7mm-08 for other actions is how I come down on it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Landy88 View Post
    The P14 is a great fat pig, too big and heavy for all but elephant rifles; and if we stretch the Mauser that far we have to include M70s, Springfields, and early Sakos, all better than the Enfield.
    Or. . . The Enfield is the the big, low-compression V8 that will power through whatever workload it is subjected to, and do it practically forever without the added, standing-start resistance of that silly, cock-on-open idea. True, you wouldn't want one in anything less than a .30-06-family round, but where do most of those "if you could only have one rifle" discussions lead?

We have the modern concept of short, fat powder columns being an enhancement to accuracy. This is probably true as far as Benchrest-level play is concerned, but for field use, most of the guns shoot better than we can. The older, gently-tapered, slightly larger cases operating at a slightly lower pressure that are slick going in and slick coming out - like the 7x57 - are of greater interest to me these days.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.