WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 722 in .222 from 1952..

Boolit Master

Remington 722 in .222 from 1952..

Have a .222 Remington that's a bit older than I am. Just got the old style (reticle not centered) Weaver K-10 for it. At first I thought about putting something more modern on it but then in the end, I decided it just needed glass from the period as well..

Recently acquired an Ideal 224450 mold that may not be ideal but I'm sure going to play with it a bit.
    Any thoughts on this old pointy bullet appreciated.

Few pics just for fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 209_4872_HDR_edit.jpg   209_4855_HDR_edit.jpg   209_4860_HDR_edit.jpg  

Boolit Master
    arlon,
    Nice rifle. I have always had pretty good luck with the Lyman/Ideal 225450 in my 222.My rifle is not a classic like yours it is just a old ugly Rem. 788.I never found much use for the 225450 except for shooting groups.For groundhogs and other varmints my rifle likes the Lyman/ideal 225415 in both hollow point and solid.It shoots them very well.

Boolit Master
    Had a 788 in .222, sold it to buy boat parts. Wish I still had it.. I'll try the old ideal bullet pretty soon, might take me some time to gt a decent bullet poured. Never tried anything quite that small.

HappyWarrior, after shouldering it a few times, I moved it forward about an inch. Puts the turrets just behind the front band. That is better! What a fine looking stock on that one you have. Some piece of garbage! (-:}

Boolit Master

I too have that same rifle, with an older weaver scope....
    fun to shoot and soooooo accurate !!!
    you can, if you are careful,,,make .222 out of the .223 military
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I too have that same rifle, with an older weaver scope....
    fun to shoot and soooooo accurate !!!
    you can, if you are careful,,,make .222 out of the .223 military
    Not me! Having gone through several .222s over the years I have several hundred fired .222 cases and about 500 new ones. Enough to last me longer than I will probably be shooting! I think I have more .222 brass than .223..

Only have the 722 and a 1968 vintage Ruger #1 left in .222. Would like to find another .222 Contender barrel..

Banned

I like the 721/722 series rifles better than the 700s. Don't own one, but have worked with a few.

A friend had one in .222 when I was growing up. The guy slayed everything with it, the only rifle (or gun for that matter) he used much.

I have a Savage 340 in .222, so far hasn't done well with cast, but I haven't worked with it much yet.

Making brass from .223 is tedious, but once you get the technique it can be done pretty consistently. I just bought a bunch of .222 brass, but it's nice to know it can be done in a pinch.

That gun in that chambering brought sub-moa shooting to the masses. A true classic!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    That is a beautiful rifle,you must be proud
    I have a Rem.700 classic in 222
    love the round it is a gem one of the very best
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance

I had a 721 in `06 that I let go, not smart! I still have a 722 in .300 Sav. with an old Weaver 4X scope on it for deer. It is a nail driver with 150 gr. `J` ammo I load. All the years I`ve had it it was iffy on ejection. I had a Sako style extractor done to it and the difference was like night and day. A friend has a .222 model 722 that is a terror on woodchucks.Robert

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I went a different way with mine and had John Taylor turn it into a 7.62x25.

Attachment 200038Attachment 200039Attachment 200040Attachment 200041
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I also have the same rifle, and made in '52 as well. Mine has a weaver k-4, and an old tip off weaver mount so the iron sights can be used also. It's a very accurate rifle, and my only complaint is the trigger is a little on the stiff side, it has the original trigger that locks the bolt when the safety is on.

I had one in 30-06 (721) that was a good shooter and easy carry with a 6x Burris. When I think 30-06 that old Remington comes to mind. It was a kicker on the bench with 200 gr elk loads!

Boolit Master
    I'd love to find another, and turn it into a 7mm tcu. But they are getting hard to find, so thats out of the equation!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I went a different way with mine and had John Taylor turn it into a 7.62x25.

Attachment 200038Attachment 200039Attachment 200040Attachment 200041
    What a neat gun! What rear sight mates with that front? Any feed issues with the stubby Tok round? And a .300 Blackout is just a rechamber job away if you get a wild hair.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Most accurate rifle I ever owned. Use to smear (stuff) on the target at 100 yards and shoot the flies that it attracted. Also had the K-10.

WEAVER is now duplicating those old scopes ( with modern innards) I have a K-6 and love it. Look for the Weaver Classic line.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    What a neat gun! What rear sight mates with that front? Any feed issues with the stubby Tok round?
    Rear sight is the XS Ghost ring for short-action Remington 700.

Front sight base for M14 front sight was scratch-built to correct height to zero and silver-soldered on.

I asked that John make no effort to get short TOK round to feed from magazine. This is a single-shot. Adequate for my needs. He installed a bench-rest style loading tray for single-shot use. Hold rifle level, drop loose round on loading tray, close bolt. The long-nosed heavy-bullet rounds enter slick. The short-nosed pistol rounds need to be manipulated deliberately but go in 90% of the time. When they bobble a short-shuck, backup and try again usually works. John chamfered the chamber entrance, which helps.

Also removed the plunger ejector and spring. This prevents ejected cases from falling into the bolt lug way inside the receiver ring. It also facilitates picking extracted cases off the bolt face with my fingers, so that I don't lose or have to chase brass.

Sako extractor was used instead of Remington extractor, and bolt face opened slightly to fit TOK round.

I have no plans to rechamber this. Does what I want.

Milsurp Romanian 22-84 Type P ball gets 1900 fps from the rifle barrel.
    7.62mm M80 148-grain pulls with 11 grs. of Alliant #2400 get 1500 fps from the rifle barrel.
    Accurate 31-160H cast bullet with 10.5 grains of IMR4064 gets 800 fps from the rifle barrel, almost silent, even without a "can." If removed from NFA one may be in my future, but unnecessary for now, as I have .38 Special equivalent load I can plink without ear plugs!

Still fooling with loads, to determine which rifle powders work best with a compressed case full of powder.
    Plan on experimenting with RL7 and 4198 with the 31-160H
    And IMR4227 and #2400 with 110-grain JSP .30 carbine bullets.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-22-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've always wanted a rifle in that "original magnum" pistol cartridge. Well done sirs. I've owned a Tokarev and a couple of CZ52s and it is truly a hundred yard gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I've always wanted a rifle in that "original magnum" pistol cartridge. Well done sirs. I've owned a Tokarev and a couple of CZ52s and it is truly a hundred yard gun.

A young man with good eyes, firing handloads can do about as well with a CZ52 or TT33 at 100 yards as an old fuddy duddy can with an M1 carbine and GI ammo, about 6 inches give or take. Even with Combloc surplus ammo the the Пистолет браконьера (Pistolet brakon'year) or “Poacher’s pistol" is about as accurate as the ordinary Beretta M92 or an M1911 .45.

TWO mags, 16 rounds dumped here on this target. I don't believe in those "gunwriter lying 3-shot" groups, gimme a full mag downrange, then reload and do it again to have confidence in what the old beast will really do!

At our range we plink with fixed sight revolvers and service pistols at a 12" steel gong at 100 yards. If a fellow is a decent shot with a handgun he should be able to stand on his hind legs, holding the gun with both hands and bang the gong at 100 yards at least four times out of six. Go six straight off a rest, of course.

Attachment 200206
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-22-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

arlon,
    Just curious. I have owned two Model 722 rifles in .222, one I still own. One rifle has the serial number in the normal place on the receiver ring on the left, The other has the serial number on the inside of the action on the left side receiver wall. If I remember correctly the one with the number on the inside was an older rifle. Where is the serial number of your 1952 Model 722?

Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    arlon,
    Just curious. I have owned two Model 722 rifles in .222, one I still own. One rifle has the serial number in the normal place on the receiver ring on the left, The other has the serial number on the inside of the action on the left side receiver wall. If I remember correctly the one with the number on the inside was an older rifle. Where is the serial number of your 1952 Model 722?

Ken
    Mine is on the left side front (outside) of the receiver. #274100
    It also, like many, had an old K4 on it when I got it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast