Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: advice on a Dan Wesson trade

advice on a Dan Wesson trade

I havent seen the Dan Wesson in person yet for that will determine the final decision for sure.
    I got a guy wanting to trade his Dan Wesson 357, its either a 15 or 15-2 not sure yet for my XDS 3.3 45acp.
    I really like the XDS but I have a love for revolvers so I am not sure. Any Dan Wesson revolver owners that can give me any info to how good they are would be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I have one and love it. Probably the most accurate handgun I own. Make sure it is a Monsoon revolver, but otherwise, a much better handgun than the Springfield IMHO.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Been a DW owner since 1979 which is a 15-2 we still have. If you set the barrel gap down to .0015 and put a good "snug) on the barrel nut you most likely will have in your hand the most accurate 357 you have ever shot.
    Used our's in 1981 to win ILLinois State AAA Revolver (steel critters) with a 180 grain cast GC using a stout load of 296 with the cast set out to the first groove. would shoot 5 inch groups at 200 meters from the "lay down". That was with the 10 inch barrel.
    The frames are as tough as any. Triggers are good but as all can be improved with some careful stone work and a trigger spring swap.
    Me I would swap if it is a Monsom made. The others are good but some were lemons.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    fWIW, VERY good DW 357's are seen in this area for low $500's (Unless it happens to be wearing a 15" barrel, or has Xtra barrels with the shrouds)Last one personally bought had 2.5,4,and 6" s.with shrouds ,and a Monson gun... local gun show purchase@$625.... Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Thanks for the advice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onceabull View Post
    fWIW, VERY good DW 357's are seen in this area for low $500's (Unless it happens to be wearing a 15" barrel, or has Xtra barrels with the shrouds)Last one personally bought had 2.5,4,and 6" s.with shrouds ,and a Monson gun... local gun show purchase@$625.... Onceabull
    I'll give you $700 for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Good try,Sir: But I sold it with two of the barrels for $750 at the very next show... (Different city,though) Kept the 4 " one to go with my personal DW.357 revolver..( Have owned at least one of every OEM offered,but for the 414 Supermag,and the 460 Rowland...Now down to just the 357, 357 Maximum,and the 445 Supermag...The 445 loaded top with 325 Gr cast took me right to my personal tolerance boundary with a full cylinder downrange..!! Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    Give it a good once over, they made plenty of lemons. I looked at an absolutely minty one a co worker bought for $200, as he complained it would only extract .38's. 357's would stick tight and have to be pounded out. All 6 chambers were extremely rough, with deep spiral tooling marks. He still has it to my knowledge, and continues to just use lower pressure .38's in it.

Boolit Master
    I had a .22 Monson DW that was accurate enough, but the finish in the chambers was abysmal. Had the spiraling tool marks described by dubber 123 above and would eject empties easily for only the first couple of cylinders full; after that I had to tap the ejector with a piece of wood to get things moving.