RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Alliant Sport Pistol

Boolit Master

Alliant Sport Pistol

So my club got some of this in recently.. and I hadn't had the time to try it.. until yesterday... I've been looking for a light bullet load for my 929. I picked up some of the epoxy coated bullets made by "Blue Bullets" for a pretty good price, just under $.06 each. They actually come in a bit heavy at about 118 gr each. I tried a few other powders I'd been using with heavier bullets (147's) and found that the case was being filled to about 80% which causes issues on the press I use to load them. I looked up the data and Alliant quoted the max charge at 4.7 gr with a stated velocity of 1170. I needed to make 1060 fps.. so I backed off to 4.3 gr and did a working of 4.3, 4.5, and 4.7. My Data below.

9mm Starline Brass
    Fiocchi SPP
    Blue Bullets 118 gr RN Sized .356"
    Alliant Sport Pistol

4.3 gr = Avg 1097, SD 15.8, ES 67, Max V 1127, Min V 1060
    4.5 gr = Avg 1128, SD 20.4, ES 70, Max V 1155, Min V 1085
    4.7 gr = Avg 1163, SD 10.9, ES 44, Max V 1189, Min V 1145 (Book max)

It was interesting to note that I found the load I was looking for at 4.3. This in a 6.5" S&W 929. Figure lose some velocity due to gap between the cylinder/frame. I have yet to try this combination in a semi-auto.. The most important part was that even at max charge weight, all 8 cartridges fell out of the cylinder without any stickiness. I'd tried using Universal Clays and at max charge weight, all three moon clips of brass stuck in the cylinder.. making reloading quickly a chore.. The Sport Pistol ammo fell out freely. I may do a workup with this powder in my 610 (using 40 S&W brass).. if I do, I'll post data later on. Feel free to add data to this. I know the powder was created specifically with the competition shooter in mind who is shooting the polymer or epoxy coated bullets.

Press used is a Dillon 650 on a Mark 7 Pro autodrive.

Boolit Master
    Alliant Sport Pistol?!? I hadn't heard about this powder until reading your post. Now I will have to do some research and see whether it will be available anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    Alliant Sport Pistol?!? I hadn't heard about this powder until reading your post. Now I will have to do some research and see whether it will be available anytime soon.
    Powder Valley has 1 pound and 8 pound jugs in stock. I've been tempted to order some, but have enough N320 to keep me busy for a while..

Boolit Master
    Yup, Powder Valley is where I got it.. I settled on 4.4 gr to make sure I make power factor.. Next load data will be 4.2 gr with a 125 Moly coated RN.. we'll see how that goes.