MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Allen inline action strong enough for 20 guage shotgun?

Boolit Man

Allen inline action strong enough for 20 guage shotgun?

I have been looking for a 20 guage shotgun for my daughter and not wanting to spend 1k on one I was thinking about putting one together using. Allen inline action and a 20 guage barrel. I have a stock I think it would bed into. My only thought having never seen the Allen action is is it tough enough for that application?
    Thanks.
    Learning by breaking something every day!
    Remington 700ML

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    they come 3 different sizes. I'm sure the biggest would be OK for a shotgun action. I have 2 built now both small cal. they have their pros and cons.. and some tuning usually required. Right now, all my photos of the builds are being held captive by Photobucket. Damned If Ill spend money on that nonesense. I mounted mine in Knight slam fire stocks, but did extensive alteration to make the Allen recoil lug work. The way the recoil lug is so close to the trigger makes it a bit of a challenge, but its doable.

Boolit Man
    Ok. I was looking at the 1 inch which should match the barrel I have in mind. What kind of tuning and pros and cons are we talkin?
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'd like o hear more about these actions as well - I have looked at them thinking about building a .36 with a barrel I have - as Rio asked - what are the pros and cons on them and as far as tuning goes, what needs to be done? After all he tuning is done, are you satisfied as to how they function? Thanks. Would love to see the photos of your "builds" if you get your photos back.

Jim

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bK8SSuc.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	199753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WBdH1aC.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	199754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02AT4PQ.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	199755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7NB4RPm.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	199756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9omIaUl.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	199757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W0v00tV.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	199758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0nLNwG3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	199759 This is the 7/8 action build of a 14 twist .36 cal. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phdQlRp.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	199760 The action itself is the breech plug, so non removable, like a sidelock. The trigger is a Mauser 98 with the pin holes ground off and flush top. You have to watch that the rear trigger screw isnt too long, (I had to file or shim mine to keep the screw from buggaring up the rear cap screw threads. There is no safety, but instead you have a roll pin on the hammer in a keyway on the rear cap you can turn for a type of safety. then turning it back into the keyway, it pops in about 1/16" and holds, ready to fire. there is a screwin/ set screw deal on the back of the firing pin to set the depth so as to be enough to fire the cap, but not peen the nipple. Its a pretty simple straightforward design with maybe 4-5 parts in total. This action has been around since the early '60s and predates any other inline of modern design I know. It is reliable .. but I much prefer Knight or white slam fire.. Truthfully, These were built as specialty guns and outside my Whites, are really the only slam fire I shoot anymore The .36 has a 28" straight barrel, and finished, and scoped comes in just at 6# I just like oddball stuff...especially small caliber muzzleloader.
    Probably the worst part about it is, I cant find a nipple wrench that fits in the action. I have been using a small open end offset wrench when the nipple needs removed, and it becomes a chore.. 1/8th turn, flip wrench 1/8 turn.. and you really have to remove the scope to do it at all. I have gone to quick release mounts on most of my scopes now anyway. All in all...I guess the actions are OK, But after the 2 I have now, the next (if there is one) will probably be a boxlock or underhammer.
    Last edited by Squeeze; 07-15-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ahh, learn something new every day! Never heard of these, and looks like something I could make.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thanks for the photos - very nice!

So is the action you used the same as what Pecatonica River sells?

http://longrifles-pr.com/actions.shtml

They show them with a Timney trigger - you mention an altered Mauser 98 trigger? Was there a reason you used what you did for the trigger?

Do you know of a source for these actions other than Pecatonica River?

Thanks! An interesting build!

Boolit Man
    Are there any other alternatives to these? Would love to have one but in 209 primer config.
    Remington 700ML

Banned
    the action came from pecatonica, they are the only source I know of. I doubt they could be converted to 209 primer... but a clevor machinist could always work something out. Probably a better 209 alternative is a converted rem 700 action. that IS the supplied trigger with the allen action, which is basically a reworked timney mauser. https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/...t-trigger.aspx I used Oregon barrels, and had http://www.thegunworks.com/ (Oregon barrels) mount barrel to action, then did the rest myself Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FeRoF6E.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	199792 Its pretty much a specialty, niche gun ( i use it for coyote) It shoots 270 grn grease groove to MOA (200 yard is the furthest Ive shot yet, but theoretically it should be able to go much farther. .360 bore/.367 groove (.0035 groove) This one came about after mulling over converting a break action centerfire .35 whelen to muzzleloader. (which had the idea rooted from the White team rifles used at friendship in .368) Oregon was the only barrel maker willing to do custon spec barrel. I tried to use resized .35, 9.3, and probably others with varying results. ended up getting a custom mold from accurate, and things fell into place. now the gun easily outshoots my abilities, and surprizes me every outing.
    My other Allen action is a .32 cal, and closely mimics this gun in looks. You may be better off with a 20 gauge break action breech plugged similar to a smokeless conversion. But being a shotgun barrel is so thin walled, this may require a barrel stub, of a thicker wall, or a sleeve of a sort to beef up the stub.
    I would recommend looking for a White tominator, or a Knight TK2000 in 12 gauge and load light if for a youth. (I have both, and am very pleased with either)
    Last edited by Squeeze; 07-16-2017 at 11:25 AM.