Load DataPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry 44 Big Boy all weather??? Any experience?

USMC 77, USRA 79

Henry 44 Big Boy all weather??? Any experience?

Greeting's booliteers!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3783.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	199632
    I have been contemplating the purchase of one of these Henry Big Boy all weather 44 mag lever guns... I am considering it for the lee 310 boolit. I am not sure on the twist or its suitability for the lee 310. I love the idea of running the same boolit setup for both my wheelgun and levergun. Maybe one of you boolit scientists that actually understand all that RPM stuff could check out the specs and see what they think? Any other thoughts? For a thousand bucks, I want it to work..

here are the specs...

Specifications
    .44 Mag/Spl»
    Model Number H012AW
    Action Type Lever Action
    Caliber .44 Magnum/.44 Spl
    Capacity 10 Rounds
    Barrel Length. 20"
    Barrel Type Round Hard Chrome Plated Steel
    Rate Of Twist 1:38
    Overall Length 37.5"
    Weight 7.00 lbs.
    Receiver Finish Industrial Hard Chrome Satin
    Rear Sight Fully Adj. Semi-Buckhorn w/ Diamond Insert
    Front Sight Brass Bead
    Scopeability Drilled and Tapped
    Stock Material American Walnut
    Buttplatepad Black Solid Rubber Recoil Pad
    Length Of Pull 14"
    Safety Transfer Bar
    Embellishments / Extras Swivel Studs. Stock finished with a highly durable industrial grade polyurethane.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Nobody knows about Henry big boy rifles???

Look at the ROT. That is the problem with many makers rifles.

With a Lee 310 grain bullet, odds are it is not going to stabilize, so it is not going to be accurate past 50 yards.

Saami really screwed up specs on the .44 mag. I don't know why they felt it was necessary to give it a holy black ROT.

1-16 ROT and that could be a fun rifle.

But don't take my word for it. I know nothing. Nothing I tell you.
    Have a great day.

Boolit Master

Go to Lever Forums there is lots of discussion about the 38 inch twist and stabilizing heavy bullets.

I wouldn't expect a 1- 38 to stabilize a 300 gr + boolit in a .44. It is possible depending on profile, but not likely. I have no idea why manufacturers are sticking with an outdated twist rate. 30 years ago It might have been proper, when 240 gr was the heaviest on the market. I can see a 1 - 38 as adequate in that context. Not today.

A 240gr boolit is a very capable boolit..... from groundhog to whitetail..... when the correct profile is chosen that is. I would have to ask...... What is your intended use of a 300gr or bigger boolit? A 240gr flat will bust ribs on a whitetail, and in some cases, ribs on both sides of chest cavity, and then exit. Seen it happen out of a Ruger Redhawk. That btw was a semi jacketed flat point at 30 yards.

If you need a heavier projectile, might I suggest a 45- 70? It will handle any animal on earth (in the right hands). I use a 325gr boolit loaded down to trapdoor velocities. It doesn't kick any harder then a 12 gauge. Maybe a 20 ga! Most people can shoot trap all day with a 12ga. My loads are very comfortable to launch downrange all day, and are more then stout enough to drop any whitetail on the planet. I would load 400 gr + and stouter pressures for brown bear or moose though. The 45- 70 has, imo, a much greater range of uses then a .44. I have not looked into this much, but if you can get a boolit for a 45- 70 in the 240gr range, it would be just as economical to plink with as the .44. Assuming you are casting and reloading with proper components, that is.

Since I brought it up, and without getting to far off the opps subject, maybe someone can tell me........ What it the lightest boolit (or mould) available for a 45- 70?
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 07-15-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I love my 41 Mag Henry Big Boy (with 1:18.75 twist rate).

here is my story:
    About 2 decades ago, I started reloading "because" of the 44 mag. About 8 years ago. I started swaging jacketed pistol bullets because of the 44 Mag...I soon switched to casting because of the 44 Mag. I love shooting the 44 Mag, but all along the way, The different sizes of Bores and the slow twist rate, made for a frustrating challenge.

THEN, I discovered the 41 Mag...all those problems are solved, it can have about the same ballistics when you load your own and cast your own.

Three years ago, I wanted to downsize my gun collection, I had some tough decisions to make as I planned to eliminate calibers, so I could eliminate a portion of my gear and tooling. one decision was, I eliminated 44 mag and 44 spl from my collection. While it use to be a major reason for my hobby, I don't regret it...I have replaced that love, with the love of 41 Mag.

41 Mag is a bit rare, and it's tough to find factory ammo in most brick and mortar stores.
    But if you reload your own and cast your own...I think it's the cat's meow, especially if you like Leverguns.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

USMC 77, USRA 79

I just love that lee 310 for most things Alaskan here. Works awesome on large sized black bears, works great out of my large framed 44 wheelgun, and really puts the snack down on the critters with hooves... offers decent protection against brownies... good in the normal under 100 yard shooting in the heavy brush... I have owned several guide guns in 45/70, but not a big fan... wanting a short lever gun in 44 mag for hunting the brush... fits well in the truck, compact, and shoots one of my favorite cal's.

So, how about a recommendation for a lever gun and the lee 310? I saw the thread on hunting hogs with the Ruger, anything else???

Marko

I can see the appeal of the all weather version. Especially where you are. But unless you can get Henry to custom make one in 1/20 (or better), I would keep looking. It pains me to say that. Those that know me know I'm a huge Henry fan. I would email or call Henry and request it. And ask why 1/38 is the only .44 offering. Make them explain WHY a such a slow twist is adequate when there are heavy .44 boots on the market. Surely a 1/20 would do just fine with lighter boolits, especially at common .44 velocities.

Oh I love my 45 colt and 357 in BBS, but you asked about sumthin different...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I love my 41 Mag Henry Big Boy (with 1:18.75 twist rate).

here is my story:
    About 2 decades ago, I started reloading "because" of the 44 mag. About 8 years ago. I started swaging jacketed pistol bullets because of the 44 Mag...I soon switched to casting because of the 44 Mag. I love shooting the 44 Mag, but all along the way, The different sizes of Bores and the slow twist rate, made for a frustrating challenge.

THEN, I discovered the 41 Mag...all those problems are solved, it can have about the same ballistics when you load your own and cast your own.

Three years ago, I wanted to downsize my gun collection, I had some tough decisions to make as I planned to eliminate calibers, so I could eliminate a portion of my gear and tooling. one decision was, I eliminated 44 mag and 44 spl from my collection. While it use to be a major reason for my hobby, I don't regret it...I have replaced that love, with the love of 41 Mag.

41 Mag is a bit rare, and it's tough to find factory ammo in most brick and mortar stores.
    But if you reload your own and cast your own...I think it's the cat's meow, especially if you like Leverguns.

Don't let everyone in on our secret!

I also love the Lee 310 gr large meplat. Mostly in my H&R Handi rifle .444 marlin.

Yeah, same size as a .44 mag, better twist rate, WAY more room for powder.
    More expensive brass is the flip side. But with reasonable use you should never wear them out.

Find yourself a .444Marlin with a reasonable ROT and be happy.

Mine likes to shoot cloverleafs with that bullet and a little bit of Red Dot below it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I also love the Lee 310 gr large meplat. Mostly in my H&R Handi rifle .444 marlin.

Yeah, same size as a .44 mag, better twist rate, WAY more room for powder.
    More expensive brass is the flip side. But with reasonable use you should never wear them out.

Find yourself a .444Marlin with a reasonable ROT and be happy.

Mine likes to shoot cloverleafs with that bullet and a little bit of Red Dot below it.
    I was gonna suggest a Marlin levergun in 444 Marlin as I've read about them having a better twist rate...but I don't have any experience with them. I'd think the large case capacity would be a "draw back" for shooting boolits?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Don't let everyone in on our secret!
    What?

I'd be great if everyone left their 44 for the 41.

Right?

I dream about everyone owning a 41.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

Why not a Big Boy All-Weather in 45 Colt?

USMC 77, USRA 79

I am really hoping to stick with 44 mag brass, as it is way easier to find, and I am completely tooled up for it... I am looking to reduce the "herd". I could get a single shot, but for defensive purposes in heavy bear brush, the first 3 shots are for clearing a shooting lane in the brush...lol

Boolit Grand Master

I am really hoping to stick with 44 mag brass, as it is way easier to find, and I am completely tooled up for it... I am looking to reduce the "herd". I could get a single shot, but for defensive purposes in heavy bear brush, the first 3 shots are for clearing a shooting lane in the brush...lol

If that's the case, I'd be looking at a 45/70 Guide Gun

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    If that's the case, I'd be looking at a 45/70 Guide Gun
    He already said he didn't care for the 45- 70's he had. I can't figure out why. To each his own I guess.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 07-16-2017 at 03:45 PM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Never been a fan of the 45/70's. Had 2 of them... I know they are great cast guns... just had my heart set on 44 Mag levergun. I think that the Rossi had a 20 twist... as well as the ruger, and have seen some talk about the marlin cowboy II being a 1-30, and possibly a couple of Italian guns being in that range too, but can not verify... and can't figure out how to tell exactly which years the marlins were. Also somewhere read that the Winchester scout has a better twist as well, but can't reliably tell that either. At least not enough to order one from gun broker or someplace like that without knowing for sure.

With the reviews on this site, you prob won't go wrong with the Rossi. Do they make a stainless or all weather version.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    He already said he didn't care for the 45- 70's he had. I can't figure out why. To each his own I guess.
    True, but if defending myself against bear in Alaska, I'd want more than a 44. That's just me personally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast