Graf & SonsRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaTitan Reloading
ADvertise hereInline FabricationLee Precision

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser calibers versus modern

Boolit Master

Mauser calibers versus modern

I hurt a finger on my shooting hand, the silly one that's works the trigger, ill be relatively not flexable for the rest of the year.

So far if I try to bend the finger, I turn several shades whiter than casper, make funny noises and scare doctors.

I expect to be doing the middle finger trigger pull for this year at least, and my bolt action in .308 I feel puts the bolt knob exactly on my index finger if I layed it alongside the stock as needed with a middle finger pull.

The recoil isn't the worst in the world, but at the moment im looking at 20 ga pump rifle, or perhaps a rem 770 in .243 that im not fond of or sure on finger safety due to bolt.

Boolit Master
    My buddy cut his trigger finger off this winter, they reattached it but he hasn't been able to go to the range yet and plans on starting on a 22 and possibly one of my AR's since his smallest centerfire is a .300 savage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    There are "Arctic Triggers" that were made for the Garand that clamped onto the trigger guard with an extended trigger hinged below the trigger guard. Intended for use when wearing extra thick gloves or even mittens. Something like that could allow one to use the middle finger as the trigger finger with minimum change in hold on the grip.

Boolit Master
    You might be surprised how accurate a slicked-up lever gun or Remington 760/7600 could be. Then there are the AR's.

Boolit Master
    Well a 170 grain round nose softpoint at standard pressure in a 7x57 drops most animals with same average chamber pressure as .243

Boolit Master

Can I ask what the thread title (Mauser calibers versus modern) has to do with the topic of discussion......a hurt trigger finger?

I thought it might be an interesting topic about Mauser calibers/cartridges vs modern calibers/cartridges........disappointing to say the least.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    Well you can form 308 out of 7&8×57 ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

Boolit Master
    full weight infantry rifle in basically a world class hunting cartridge, versus a
    modern lightweight rifle in .243

same rough operating pressure,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    [...] I thought it might be an interesting topic about Mauser calibers/cartridges vs modern calibers/cartridges [...]
    +1, my thought as well

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    full weight infantry rifle in basically a world class hunting cartridge, versus a
    modern lightweight rifle in .243

same rough operating pressure,
    I am completely perplexed. I have to agree with Mr Gibson.
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    If you're right handed, it's time to learn to shoot left handed -if you're left handed, theft's time to shoot right handed.

I had to switch years ago due to loosing the central vision in my dominant eye - it really isn't that hard. I'm right handed I just learned to operate my bolt rifles in a different manner.

And I'm with Larry . . . the title is a little misleading - I was expecting the same as he was .. .

Boolit Master
    So maybe we could we hijack the thread topic to get closer to the thread title?

How about Jack O'Connor and all the hunting he & his wife did with those 7mm Mauser-chambered sporters hm?

I thought Jack was a strict M70 270 guy ?

About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

Boolit Master

Jack was mostly s 270 guy but it was the Mrs. that had a liking for the 7mm Mauser.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I thought Jack was a strict M70 270 guy ?
    He was. His wife, on the other hand, was a fan of Elmer Keith and only ever shot heavy for caliber 175 gr 7mm bullets in her mauser, unless, of course, she was shooting buff with her .30-06 (after which she always exclaimed, "Heavens!").

You read that issue of Outdoor Life, right?
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 07-14-2017 at 09:40 PM.
    USMC 6638

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    +1, my thought as well
    +1 for me

i'll start it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    He was. His wife, on the other hand, was a fan of Elmer Keith and only ever shot heavy for caliber 175 gr 7mm bullets in her mauser, unless, of course, she was shooting buff with her .30-06 (after which she always exclaimed, "Heavens!").

You read that issue of Outdoor Life, right?
    I have Jack's book " the hunting rifle " . I was well aware of his other choices . Just picking and poking fun .

Boolit Master
    the mausers were well known their ability to drop stuff at long range. experience with modern cartridges like .243 tell me same powerwith larger bullet at same or lower chamber pressure and reduced recoil good idea..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I have Jack's book " the hunting rifle " . I was well aware of his other choices . Just picking and poking fun .
    As was I.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Can I ask what the thread title (Mauser calibers versus modern) has to do with the topic of discussion......a hurt trigger finger?

I thought it might be an interesting topic about Mauser calibers/cartridges vs modern calibers/cartridges........disappointing to say the least.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast