Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaGraf & Sons

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 5345 USD (89%)
WE HAVE REACHED OUR GOAL! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED CONTRIBUTE AND KEEP US GOING!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser calibers versus modern

Boolit Master
    Bedbug billy nailed your solution to the finger problem. I went left handed for a while due to a shoulder injury- rifles, no problem. Shotgun?well.......
    As for the title, the 6.5 Swede will outdo the Creedmore and the .260 Rem, the 7x57 will outdo the 7-08, and the8x57 will outdo the .308 when all are loaded to the same pressure(by a little) simply due to case capacity.

Boolit Master
    if you U-tube some European shooting championship videos you'll see how well [and how fast] you can shoot with your middle finger.
    it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

this opinion brought to you by mister low-tech solution..

Boolit Master
    The issue that the rifle I got myself last year in order to solve the "no bolt action 30-30s" is a fun little .308.
    I messed the finger joint up on the first pad, the pad that goes on the trigger. Im not sure how much flexibility ill have till netxt year.

I cant shoot at the moment, but tentative experiment puts the bolt right into the worst spot for hitting the finger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if you U-tube some European shooting championship videos you'll see how well [and how fast] you can shoot with your middle finger.
    I tried that "middle finger shootin" back in 5th grade....English teacher was Mrs. Barefoot, bout 5'6" high & a good 4ft across the shoulders. She like to have beat me to death with a yardstick. Been using 1st finger ever since
    Pretty sure she was toughest woman on whole San Carlos rez.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    The issue that the rifle I got myself last year in order to solve the "no bolt action 30-30s" is a fun little .308.
    I messed the finger joint up on the first pad, the pad that goes on the trigger. Im not sure how much flexibility ill have till netxt year.

I cant shoot at the moment, but tentative experiment puts the bolt right into the worst spot for hitting the finger.
    Ms shoots with the long finger on straight and conventional western style stocks due to a fussed wrist joint . Not any problem for her with levers or slides . The AR allows her to use the index finger . I think the Savage 99 would give her trouble . I've not had her shoot a left handed rifle so that finger up is always on the slick side of the action .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

Boolit Master

Well, since this thread is all over the map, but some of it has to do with the trigger finger...

The British soldiers often rapid fired their Lee Enfields in WWI, WWII and Korea with the middle finger (Flick yew finger of the Long Bowman) for rapid fire. They achieved (with accuracy) up to 30 shots a minute. Perhaps that's not a bad solution.

Pulling a trigger with a rifle is pulling a trigger. As long as you do it right, it really doesn't matter if you use your index or middle finger. Some of the double action Filipino Constabulary revolvers were made with a very large trigger guard. Speculation is that the small statured Filipinos used both the index and middle finger to pull the very hard DA pull. I guess as long as they hit their target it really didn't matter.

For a right hander to shoot left handed is certainly doable with practice and in fact in the military and law enforcement it is used at times when cover and concealment is a factor. Still, there is the dexterity problem with the weak hand and also the cross eye dominance that you inject into the weak handed position. Both will degrade your accuracy significantly.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-16-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Have your gunsmith bend your 308's bolt handle out
    (like a Mosin Nagant or other straight handled rifle in reverse)

pick your angle
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Heres one of the Garand Winter Triggers I mentioned. Not that expensive.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Original-M...-/201733030230

I don't know how these clamp onto the Garand trigger guard, but it may be adaptable to your trigger guard. Best to find instructions on how these were fitted to the Garand.

Boolit Master

When using the old forged trigger guard, they attach via a pin through the take down assist hole at the rear of the assembly. I believe that the later winter trigger for the stamped steel trigger guard assembly had to be attached to the inner curve of the pistol grip via two screws. It could also be used on the M14 rifle. I used to have the latter, but damned if I can find it now.

Here's a Youtube link for the milled trigger guard winter trigger.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...A1&FORM=VRDGAR
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

I was always a Jim Zumbo fan just like the 30/06 more then the 270
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I've always had an affinity for the 3 main Mauser cartridges; 6.5x55, 7,x57 and the 8x57 It's unfortunate that, for the most part, bullet makers make 6.5, 7mm and 8mm bullets to British diameters instead of European diameters. Most US made commercial bullets are .002 - .003" under size. Still Mauser rifles often shoot quite well with the undersized bullets. With jacketed that is conducive to gas cutting though. Of course with cast bullets we can make them to fit the Mauser bores.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    All the German cartridges either designed specifically for a Mauser action or adapted to work in it are exceptionally well thought out and were carefully tested before being put into service. Not every manufacturer did such a great job in production but most did an excellent job of keeping pressures within reason and well inside the safety margin of the action types.

With the more recent modern lever action designs and improved metallurgy of older designs like repros of the 1895 I'd like to see some of the rimmed versions of these cartridges in modern box magazine fed lever actions as well as in single shot and combination guns.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Have reduced recoil gallery loads been considered?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

"Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying (leap) at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing."- The Dark Tower, Steven King

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Well, since this thread is all over the map, but some of it has to do with the trigger finger...

The British soldiers often rapid fired their Lee Enfields in WWI, WWII and Korea with the middle finger (Flick yew finger of the Long Bowman) for rapid fire. They achieved (with accuracy) up to 30 shots a minute. Perhaps that's not a bad solution.

Pulling a trigger with a rifle is pulling a trigger. As long as you do it right, it really doesn't matter if you use your index or middle finger. Some of the double action Filipino Constabulary revolvers were made with a very large trigger guard. Speculation is that the small statured Filipinos used both the index and middle finger to pull the very hard DA pull. I guess as long as they hit their target it really didn't matter.

For a right hander to shoot left handed is certainly doable with practice and in fact in the military and law enforcement it is used at times when cover and concealment is a factor. Still, there is the dexterity problem with the weak hand and also the cross eye dominance that you inject into the weak handed position. Both will degrade your accuracy significantly.
    My father lost his right eye in an accident at age 58. He had been a lever action man all his life so he taught himself to shoot a Marlin lever action 22 left handed. In a matter of time he was making head shots on gophers in the yard fairly consistently. I have experimented with it a little, but I may not have his level of discipline.
    When I was a kid we had 9 planets.

Boolit Master
    My father had an eye infection that cost him most of the sight in his right eye. He was in the Army during WW II basic training and his sergeant refused to allow him to shoot left handed. Finally his company commander stepped in and overruled the sergeant. If I remember correctly, he was offered a chance to be medically discharged and refused it. After the war, he came home and continued shooting left handed. It never seemed to bother him about having to switch shoulders, although he did say he had to be careful not to get hot rounds down his shirt from the M1 he carried. I know it was a rare thing for him to miss a shot in the rabbit field, on a squirrel or even birds. He finally started shooting trap in his mid 60's and worked his way up to a solid 48 average before a stroke paralyzed his whole left side when he was 67. He made me learn to shoot left handed just so I could if ever an emergency happened. I can still shoot better than average when I shoot left handed, which I do not do much anymore. Switching from right to left is not as hard as the dominate eye problem which some trap and skeet shooter have to contend. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Master
    Let's see if I've got this. The 7.92x57 Commision 1888 cartridge was.318" the first 98 Mausers were like this then in 1905 the German Army adopted the 8x57 .323" and from then on it is called the 8mm Mauser? My all time favorite Mauser 98 chambering.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Man
    You can find 8mm both ways. Some ammo manufacturers mark as 8mm Mauser, others mark as 8x57js or 7.92x57js. These are the same cartridges with a .323 bore. Then there are rifles with a .318 bore that mostly carry the 7.92x57s or 8mm(s) head stamp. All this "confusion" about bore diameter is the reason we have to hand load the 8x57js Mauser (the German WWII standard) to get modern ammo for our rifles; SAAMI gives the 8mm the equivalent power of a heavy 30-30. To add to the mix, most reloading manuals adhere to SAAMI pressure limits.

Boolit Master
    The early 8mm Mauser sporting cartridges loaded by major US Companies used a .321 diameter bullet first developed for the .32-40.
    IIRC only the German sporting rifles intended for use with lead alloy Boolits originally had the .318 bore. These were marked with lower proof test pressures and with a mark denoting for use with lead bullets only.
    There may be aftermarket .318 barrels fitted to some rebuilt GEW88 rifles. The standard bore was .312, they expected the bullet to bump up to fill in the grooves. This was to avoid high pressures when bores became heavily fouled or rusty in tropical conditions, which was a major concern in Pacific and African Colonies.

The proof testing method used by Germany at the time was to use exactly the same charge weight and volume but to use a powder that mimicked the excessive pressures of badly decomposed powders. Proof pressure was pegged at around 58,000 PSI measured in Metric atmospheres, similar to the British BAR measurement used today. Mauser upped the proof pressure for their rifles to something over 70,000 PSI.

Boolit Master
    Its the most ironic thing, I have always wanted a military stocked rifle, and have wanted a bolta ction 30-30.

Funny that I get both with a near virgin 24-47 in 8mm mauser.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Let's see if I've got this. The 7.92x57 Commision 1888 cartridge was.318" the first 98 Mausers were like this then in 1905 the German Army adopted the 8x57 .323" and from then on it is called the 8mm Mauser? My all time favorite Mauser 98 chambering.
    Best, Thomas.
    Not quite, The M1888 Commission rifle which used the .318 bullet was not a Mauser. The M98 adopted by Germany is a Mauser and the 7.9 ("8x57 .323") cartridge was what it was adopted in. In 1905 the change was made from a heavier .323 RN bullet to the 150 gr Spitzer .323 bullet at increased velocity.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast