Graf & SonsRotoMetals2Wisconsin TriggerStainLess Steel Media
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mauser calibers versus modern

Boolit Master
    Bedbug billy nailed your solution to the finger problem. I went left handed for a while due to a shoulder injury- rifles, no problem. Shotgun?well.......
    As for the title, the 6.5 Swede will outdo the Creedmore and the .260 Rem, the 7x57 will outdo the 7-08, and the8x57 will outdo the .308 when all are loaded to the same pressure(by a little) simply due to case capacity.

Boolit Master
    if you U-tube some European shooting championship videos you'll see how well [and how fast] you can shoot with your middle finger.
    it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

this opinion brought to you by mister low-tech solution..

Boolit Master
    The issue that the rifle I got myself last year in order to solve the "no bolt action 30-30s" is a fun little .308.
    I messed the finger joint up on the first pad, the pad that goes on the trigger. Im not sure how much flexibility ill have till netxt year.

I cant shoot at the moment, but tentative experiment puts the bolt right into the worst spot for hitting the finger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if you U-tube some European shooting championship videos you'll see how well [and how fast] you can shoot with your middle finger.
    I tried that "middle finger shootin" back in 5th grade....English teacher was Mrs. Barefoot, bout 5'6" high & a good 4ft across the shoulders. She like to have beat me to death with a yardstick. Been using 1st finger ever since
    Pretty sure she was toughest woman on whole San Carlos rez.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

OP is confused.

Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    The issue that the rifle I got myself last year in order to solve the "no bolt action 30-30s" is a fun little .308.
    I messed the finger joint up on the first pad, the pad that goes on the trigger. Im not sure how much flexibility ill have till netxt year.

I cant shoot at the moment, but tentative experiment puts the bolt right into the worst spot for hitting the finger.
    Ms shoots with the long finger on straight and conventional western style stocks due to a fussed wrist joint . Not any problem for her with levers or slides . The AR allows her to use the index finger . I think the Savage 99 would give her trouble . I've not had her shoot a left handed rifle so that finger up is always on the slick side of the action .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

Boolit Master

Well, since this thread is all over the map, but some of it has to do with the trigger finger...

The British soldiers often rapid fired their Lee Enfields in WWI, WWII and Korea with the middle finger (Flick yew finger of the Long Bowman) for rapid fire. They achieved (with accuracy) up to 30 shots a minute. Perhaps that's not a bad solution.

Pulling a trigger with a rifle is pulling a trigger. As long as you do it right, it really doesn't matter if you use your index or middle finger. Some of the double action Filipino Constabulary revolvers were made with a very large trigger guard. Speculation is that the small statured Filipinos used both the index and middle finger to pull the very hard DA pull. I guess as long as they hit their target it really didn't matter.

For a right hander to shoot left handed is certainly doable with practice and in fact in the military and law enforcement it is used at times when cover and concealment is a factor. Still, there is the dexterity problem with the weak hand and also the cross eye dominance that you inject into the weak handed position. Both will degrade your accuracy significantly.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-16-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Have your gunsmith bend your 308's bolt handle out
    (like a Mosin Nagant or other straight handled rifle in reverse)

pick your angle
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Heres one of the Garand Winter Triggers I mentioned. Not that expensive.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Original-M...-/201733030230

I don't know how these clamp onto the Garand trigger guard, but it may be adaptable to your trigger guard. Best to find instructions on how these were fitted to the Garand.

Boolit Master

When using the old forged trigger guard, they attach via a pin through the take down assist hole at the rear of the assembly. I believe that the later winter trigger for the stamped steel trigger guard assembly had to be attached to the inner curve of the pistol grip via two screws. It could also be used on the M14 rifle. I used to have the latter, but damned if I can find it now.

Here's a Youtube link for the milled trigger guard winter trigger.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...A1&FORM=VRDGAR
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12