Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Interesting idea for primer storage

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I'd imagine they are in the same packaging just in larger quantities. Wouldn't be hard to have the tray in say 500 or 1000 count.

CCI has changed their packaging over the years. I still have a lot of the old ones where they were on their side and lined up in rows. The primers touched each other and the trays were a lot smarter. They changed the packaging for a reason and I trust their decision. Nothing takes up as much space as Federal packaging so I'm happy w/ CCI.
    I does not really matter. A robot can be trained to do all the above - Open the box, orient the primer, and insert. Faster than we can see it done. And have multiple safety / vision / pressure sensitive measurements done in the process. I have no idea how they do it, but I know a robot could do all the above.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I cringe everytime I drop a primer. here's why.

In the 4th grade I brought a unloaded .22 Short case to school with me one day. I had pulled the bullet myself with pliers and dumped the powder the day before and it was a prize to me.

I had the empty case sitting on the top edge of my desk admiring it, when Ms. Biaggi walked by and her dress knocked the case off onto the floor,,, Where it promptly went off!

It was loud and scared the pee out of everyone in class,,, and I was promptly sent to the Principals Office which was not at all new to me at the time. I was pain in the butt at that time of my life, and Ms. Biaggi only had to look at me cross ways for me to leave the room. Pretty sure that chair in the office had my name on it permanently.

I cringe everytime I drop a .22 cartridge or primer ever since, and this has been going on for 56 years since that day.

This is a true story so don't discount the possibility. It can happen!

Yesterday I dropped a primer while filming one of my Videos and had the thought again, but it hit a carpet so no worries.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Someone told the story of someone she knew who found a 12 guage shell. No gun but the fork of a tree and a nail with a hammer ....and he lost all the fingers on one hand and both eyes....

I have no idea if it is true but it gives me chills when I think of what I did as a kid....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    I does not really matter. A robot can be trained to do all the above - Open the box, orient the primer, and insert. Faster than we can see it done. And have multiple safety / vision / pressure sensitive measurements done in the process. I have no idea how they do it, but I know a robot could do all the above.
    Hmmm. How did the primers get shipped before robots became popular in manufacturing, like 10-15 years ago? Personally, I don't thing a "package opening robot" is a viable method...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Let's look at the big ammo manufacturers. They're ATK(Federal), Winchester and Remington. All three companies make their own primers. S&B is the same way. They aren't packaging primers for commercial sale and then having a robot unpackage them. The smaller brands most likely don't have robots so they will be loading the machines manually. It really doesn't matter to me because I don't buy factory ammo

Boolit Master
    My guess is they will use a tape and reel system, sort of like a tape and reel system used in microelectronic assy. An antistate tape, with a plastic tape seal. Rolls of 3-5K.

Sort of like APS strips.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I'd imagine they are in the same packaging just in larger quantities. Wouldn't be hard to have the tray in say 500 or 1000 count.

CCI has changed their packaging over the years. I still have a lot of the old ones where they were on their side and lined up in rows. The primers touched each other and the trays were a lot smarter. They changed the packaging for a reason and I trust their decision. Nothing takes up as much space as Federal packaging so I'm happy w/ CCI.
    Last edited by garym1a2; 08-02-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    I watched a couple you tube videos where use camadex machines and bowl feeders.

Boolit Buddy

after just one bottle I would have said NO, let alone filling 9 of them LOL
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    I have enough trouble losing 1-2 primers flipping the square package on to the round lee safety prime container, how on earth did he get them in those tiny pill bottles without making a mess?!

My primers stay in the same box I bought them in. Shelf space is limited but I'll make do.

Used primers I can imagine would be alright, but i've had a few squashed live primers get tossed in the mix so I stopped keeping a large container of spent primers hanging around. Recycle yard wasn't interested in them when I asked.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I have enough trouble losing 1-2 primers flipping the square package on to the round lee safety prime container
    Do you wanna know the trick to prevent that from happening?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234