Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting idea for primer storage

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    That picture stood the hair on the back of my neck!

Sorta like crawling up on a claymore mine that has been turned around in the wrong direction...
    actually a claymore in dangerous on both sides. We would place them on the 'enemy side' of tree trunks for a bit more protection.
    Oh, the C-4 inside did a great job of heating water when you burned it IN THE OPEN. in an oxygen-free environment it was much more exciting.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I have to ask the same question: WHY NOT?

I store mine in coffee cans. Not sure why I keep them since scrap dealers around here are difficult(understatement) to deal with.

I guess it is just a rough indication of how many rounds I've reloaded.
    If you ever swept the floor of an indoor range it is amazing how much unburnt gunpowder there is.
    Can you be sure ALL the priming compound ignited in the primer? All of the powder in the case sure didn't. Probably did but.....

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Soo all that lawyer bull aside what is the real problem?

Are percussion caps completly safe and insensitive to being kept in a tin all huddled up?

Attachment 199657

Aside from the anvil in what major way are they different from Boxer primers and why are they sold in tins and seen as quite safe?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Why? All my spent primers are stored in a Gatorade bottle. When scrap prices are high enough I turn them in for cash. There is no harm in storing spent primers in this manner.
    No harm indeed, but unless a very small amount, it sure takes up lots of space. Mine are in three 2 liter drink bottles waiting for scrap prices to go up.
    Guess I should have used purple.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Back in the days when primers were packaged in reasonable sized trays this was not an issue, but the humongous packages some of our manufacturers are using get a person to thinking of alternative storage methods. I won't buy Federal primers any more because of their stooopid huge cartons, now have a bias toward Remington for their much nicer sized cartons. And Federal used to be my favorite primer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Soo all that lawyer bull aside what is the real problem?

Are percussion caps completly safe and insensitive to being kept in a tin all huddled up?

Attachment 199657

Aside from the anvil in what major way are they different from Boxer primers and why are they sold in tins and seen as quite safe?
    No anvils. A cap is placed on a nipple which acts as an anvil. Hammer squishes compound between cap and nipple, so without an anvil there is nuttin' to squish the compound...

Just wondering, how much space is actually lost to the "huge" primer packaging some speak of? In real life, how much difference does 10 square inches make? I keep my primers in their bricks, in a cabinet and get one tray out at a time. If i saved "a that space" with more "efficient" primer storage, I'd just stuff something else there...
    Last edited by mdi; 07-14-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I haven't bought primers in several years after stocking up before Obama's first election. All those primers are in, what I consider to be, efficient sized containers. Brands are Winchester and Wolf. Trying to use up the Wolf because of inconsistent cup hardness.
    John
    W.TN

quite a bit of space between federal and winchester sized primer boxes.I can store about 2 1/2 winchester boxes in the area of one federal box. I still use federal ( my go to if i have a choice) But if you have a few thousand the space does add up.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    No anvils. A cap is placed on a nipple which acts as an anvil. Hammer squishes compound between cap and nipple, so without an anvil there is nuttin' to squish the compound...

Just wondering, how much space is actually lost to the "huge" primer packaging some speak of? In real life, how much difference does 10 square inches make? I keep my primers in their bricks, in a cabinet and get one tray out at a time. If i saved "a that space" with more "efficient" primer storage, I'd just stuff something else there...
    Yes Boxer primers do have anvils!
    That is the difference between a percussion cap and a Boxer primer.

Don't know how often I see and hear about "store primers in the original containers...do not repackage them"....that's my code....I don't run my car on flat tires either but I suppose I could get some distance on them before a problem..living in California where we get to rock and roll now and then and things fall off shelves and onto the floor...I don't want a bunch of loose primers rattling around just as they hit the tile.

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    Don't know how often I see and hear about "store primers in the original containers...do not repackage them"....that's my code....I don't run my car on flat tires either but I suppose I could get some distance on them before a problem..living in California where we get to rock and roll now and then and things fall off shelves and onto the floor...I don't want a bunch of loose primers rattling around just as they hit the tile.
    OMG...opos...."Do you realize that you are using 'Common Sense'? What a novel approach!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

That is a perfect example of an answer in search of a problem. WHY ???

Boolit Master
    There is some information in Hatcher's Notebook about an explosion involving loose primers carried in a bucket in a Gov't. Arsenal.I personally would not store live primers loose in any container.

Boolit Buddy
    Well to each their own I guess...Id rather use the space required than have those go boom

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Yes Boxer primers do have anvils!
    That is the difference between a percussion cap and a Boxer primer.
    Tins are also MUCH less of a risk for and protection against static electricity than plastic bottles.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

If you can't afford the space to properly store your primers...I suggest you give up handloading all together. The next complaint I hate to hear is that they don't have the time to do a job correctly...hogwash!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I would normally give an idea like that a thumbs down but that one is bad enough, I'd pick another finger to adequately display my disapproval.

I think the only way you could come up with something worse would be to use glass bottles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    There is some information in Hatcher's Notebook about an explosion involving loose primers carried in a bucket in a Gov't. Arsenal.I personally would not store live primers loose in any container.
    I knew I read that somewhere. It wasn't in Hatcher's notebook though. Could have been an early edition ABC's of reloading. As I remember, an employee was carrying a quantity of primers from one area of the plant to another and was absentmindedly shaking the container that he was carrying the primers in - it exploded and killed him!
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    That incident is indeed in Hatcher's Notebook.In same chapter with the ammo dump explosions I believe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    That incident is indeed in Hatcher's Notebook.In same chapter with the ammo dump explosions I believe.
    I've never read Hatcher's notebook. I could swear it was ABC's of reloading. The author may have read it in Hatcher's notebook, and was just passing it along. I, along with most who have posted in this thread would never store primers like the OP.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast