Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impressive 30-06 Overload-- some people live right

Boolit Master

Impressive 30-06 Overload-- some people live right

A friend gave me a box of his old used brass. He does not reload, but some years ago had a buddy who did reload, and loaded all the ammo for my friend. The buddy is long since gone, and my friend doesn't reload, so he gave the brass to me, complete with the boxes with the loading data written by his reloading buddy. This man was loading 30-06 with 52.5-53 grains of IMR 4320 with 150 grain spitzers. (this is above the Hodgdon maximum load by a little bit).

All the brass looks to be in good shape, no splits and no indications of head separation, but a few of the cases make me really wonder how he managed to shoot these reloads without any accidents. Four cases are black around the head with the primers completely blown out of the case. They have no splits or failures, but the head is expanded so much they will not go into the shell holder. The specification for the diameter at the bottom of the head is 0.470 and these are all 0.477. The rims are 0.486 (0.473 is the specification. The primer pockets are so large you can drop a primer in the hole and it rattles. My friend shot reloads from his buddy for years, and never had any problems.

I guess some people just live right.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Vendor Sponsor

Wow that all I can say wow
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    And that's why you NEVER shoot anyone else's reloads...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

That's a depriming shortcut that methinks I won't try.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Lyman 44, pg 66: 150gr Jacketed : IMR4320 Starting load 47.0gr - Max. load 52.5gr

Lyman 48, pg 221: 150gr Jacketed Sp: IMR4320 Starting load 47.0gr - Max. load 53gr
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 07-13-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Exclamation

Hick, Is your friend's name "Lucky"?

Boolit Master
    I was poking through a older reloading manual... Lyman I,believe and I noticed several loads that where many grains higher on starting and max loads than my current books... 2010 and newer.
    Powder changes, test equipment, liabilities?

Boolit Grand Master

I think you will find similar data for 8x57 with 150 gr and IMR 4320 in the Hornady manuals. The older Hornady manual shows 53 grs and newest shows 46 grs as max, 7 grs difference between max listed loads. Start low and work up makes sense.
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    And that's why you NEVER shoot anyone else's reloads...
    That is so true for how some dose it that you never know.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    would be interesting to know the whole story! How did ejection go and at what point did the thought something is not right cross your mind???
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Newer load data often lists a milder max load. But it sounds like those cases are scrap.

Boolit Master
    When I started reloading I bought my set up from the newspaper. A widow was selling every thing her husband had. There were hand written notes in the manual where he went over a few grains in some loads. I think this was more common before the internet.

You may get away with it for a long time. Eventually something bad will happen.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a bit confused.

You are saying that these reloads were an "Impressive 30-06 Overload" yet the charge is within book maximum. Not saying that for that gun it wasn't an overload but why would brass be swelling and primer pockets enlarging with a book maximum load? We're not talking 5 grs. overload here, we're talking book maximum.

Have you checked the gun these rounds were shot in? Could something be wrong there?

Could the reloading friend have annealed the cartridges and softened the heads?

Just seems odd to me that a listed book max charge would be giving results that seem like significant overload.

Also, to consider is that if your friend the shooter didn't tell his friend the reloader what was going on then quite possibly the reloading friend was using rounds safe in his gun with no knowledge that something was wrong down the line and if within book max. why would he suspect something would be wrong? Now, if the reloading friend saw all the brass and ignored the signs, that's negligent and dangerous. More good reasons to avoid other's reloads, I agree.

Boolit Master

I would not use those cases.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

With that much expansion, the chamber is probably a little oversize, otherwise the cases should stick in the chamber.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you pulled any of the bullets to see if what the powder charge really is and if it is a 150 gr bullet?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Its a little hard to pull bullets on used brass (I was only given the brass, not the ammo). The boxes are labeled 52.5 grains IMR4320 (only half grain over the Hodgdon published max), but I have no way of knowing how the loader measured his gunpowder or how accurately. I'm guessing the precision of powder measurement was not very good. Don't have to worry about re-using that brass because the cases won't fit in the shell holder.

I call anything that makes cases too big for the shell holder and blows out a primer an impressive overload. That the reloader managed to do that with a max load, while all the rest fired fine in the rifle, just hints to me that he was not controlling his powder measurement very good.
    Hick: Iron sights!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had some middle of the load window loads blow a primer in a 22-250 . Thing about is that the shooting and primer failure with the 3031/55gr load was exactly the same as the Winchester 4kfps 45 gr HP .
    90 seconds per shot 6-7 primers go flat 7-8 start to show a dark circle #10-11 drops a primer . It was about 90° in full sun ...... Doesn't do that with the easy up on a 60° day ....... I guess maybe the heavy bbl on the Mark X action just holds too much heat .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I'm wondering if he thought he was using 4350?

Boolit Grand Master
    Guardian Angels.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast