WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 45-70 bp

Boolit Master

45-70 bp

When loading reduced loads in my .50-70, I put a card between the powder and the filler (grits).
    I'm going to load some .45-70 with a hollow based bullet. Will a card between the powder and grits affect the hollow based design and performance?

Probably.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy

I do not use a card with hollow base bullets.

Boolit Master
    I only use it to keep the powder and grits apart.

Boolit Grand Master

Onmy BP loads I use a heavy wad .060 thick napa ruber fiber wad to protect the base of the bullet, and 2 tracing paper wads (to insure release from the bullet at the muzzle). These are heavy for caliber bullets ( 550 grn in 45 cal).On the hollow based bullets I would try them both ways with the wad stack and without to see what works best, My concern would be the wad being pushed into the hollow base and not getting the consistant release from the bullet. Another thing that may help some stopping this is cream of wheat ( enough to just fill the hollow base full and this on top of the wad stack to keep wads from pushing into the hollow base. You want a stack up of powder, wads and fillers or lube cookies that leave no air space in the case with Black Powder. Some powders a little compression helps with ignition lessens fouling and improves consistency.

Boolit Master
    Before it occurred to me that there might be a problem using the HB bullet and a card, I loaded up 20 rounds with 50 grs FFFG, card, then grits. The seated bullets slightly compress the grits so there's definitely no air space. I'm going to the range today - at worst, I now have plain based bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Use a little bacon grease for lube with the grits and everyone at the range will be wanting breakfast when your shooting LOL. The grits should help expand the hollow base evenly and should also leave the bullet easily.