Lee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wisconsin TriggerGraf & Sons

Thread: Shilo Sharps question

Boolit Master

Shilo Sharps question

This is going to sound odd.........but, A little more than a year ago I ordered a Shilo 1874 Saddle rifle. 32" standard Octagon barrel in 38-55.
    I have two other 38-55's, and they refuse to shoot BP worth a hill of beans no matter what. One is an H&R Buffalo Classic, the other a 1893 Marlin with a round "Black Powder Barrel".
    I told the people at Shilo that it would be for shooting BP, but now I'm a bit concerned, I don't want to be shooting Unique or 4198 thru a sharps.
    Any experiences?
    Knarley
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    Why would you be concerned about shooting 4198 in a black powder gun?
    The ignition time and pressure curve is about identical with FF black powder...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Herman View Post
    Why would you be concerned about shooting 4198 in a black powder gun?
    The ignition time and pressure curve is about identical with FF black powder...
    Gosh Tom, knarley is just worried that his new gun that is suppose to shoot BP will not shoot BP worth a darn when he gets it, and will end up have to shoot it with 4198 in order to shoot it accurately.

Boolit Master

Ran across a thread from 2009, that they were using Pb for boolits. I've been running 20:1 boolits. Would that make the difference?
    A new Lyman 250 Gr. mold for the 38-55 came today, just might have to cast some regular Pb boolits and see what happens. 20:1 works well in the 45-70 but, who knows.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    I'm sure that it'll shoot black powder very well. Shiloh makes an excellent rifle and takes great care making their barrels and chambering them. Many of the problems with .38-55's comes from oddball chambers that don't match the rifling and brass dimensions.

Chris.

Boolit Master

The H&R .38-55s have pretty well known bore and chamber dimension problems, so I'm not at all surprised that it doesn't shoot well. I would be much less concerned about a Shiloh product, as stated above.
    'I have a feeling we're not in Kansas any more, Toto!' Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Knarley View Post
    Ran across a thread from 2009, that they were using Pb for boolits. I've been running 20:1 boolits. Would that make the difference?
    A new Lyman 250 Gr. mold for the 38-55 came today, just might have to cast some regular Pb boolits and see what happens. 20:1 works well in the 45-70 but, who knows.
    I think you are getting goood advice.
    You don't really want or need to try pure Pb if you have access to 20-1. The 20-1 is the better mix for most shooting.

The question about your BP accuracy really goes to, are you doing what it takes to make an accurate BP load in any rifle?
    The shortest road to great accuracy is (a) a great rifle like a Shiloh, (b) great components including Swiss powder and (c) 'best' fitting bullets. To do otherwise is to prolong, or never hit upon accuracy.

I have seen many, many, new guys to the bpcr game. Some of them want to cut all the corners and still have quick success. GOOD LUCK with that.
    Chill Wills

Cast good bullets from 20-1, use a good lube and be mindful of the fouling control, you won't have any problems getting that rifle to shoot well.
    GUSA #6
    People will forget what you said...
    People will forget what you did...
    But People will NEVER forget how you made them feel

Want to join in adult conversation about shooting the old ways without the hysterics associated with other places?http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

Fit, rifiling, and good lead alloy.

Don spelled it out in the shortest possible terms, fouling control is as critical as powder/charge and bullet fit/alloy. Lots of new BPCR shooters spend a ton of time and money on componets developing good quality ammo and neglect what the rifle likes in terms of fouling control then wonder why the accuracy is not there. The 45-70 is perhaps the most forgiving with B/P at least my experience says the 45-70 is the easiest to get to better than average accuracy in a properly chambered rifle(no weird stuff).
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 07-14-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Boolit Master

I have also found as caliber size gets smaller fouling control becomes more important.

Boolit Master

Have zero concern. Shiloh Sharps barrels' rifling is designed to use black powder.
    Itís so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then donít say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master

Thank you gents, I'll sleep better tonight.................

Knarley
    MOLON LABE