Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surpriseingly Good Slow Cooker Pot Roast ( aka Mississippi Pot Roast)

Boolit Grand Master

Surpriseingly Good Slow Cooker Pot Roast ( aka Mississippi Pot Roast)

I say surprisingly because when I read the recipe I didn't think much of it. Most crock pot pot roast are pretty ordinary and Ho-Hum in flavor. This one surprised me with the deep rich flavor and awesome gravy. There's a little New Orleans tavern that has the best roast beef I have ever put in my mouth...Parkway Bakery and Tavern, been around since 1911, baking bread , roasting beef and making po-boys . I have their recipe but it is not easy to prepare. This one cooks while you're at work.
    I have never had anything come out of a crock pot that came close to Parkway's ....Except this one!
    I followed the recipe to the letter and was blown away with the great flavor...better than Parkway's....No , not better , but near about as good and a lot easier .

Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
    1 - 3 lb. Chuck Roast
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt Free Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
    1 - pkg. dry ranch dressing mix
    1 - pkg. dry Lipton onion soup mix
    1 - stick (1/2 cup) butter, unsalted
    8 to 12 Peperoncini peppers (they come in a jar)
    4 - whole cloves garlic - peeled

Instructions:
    1. Heat up a large heavy skillet on high.
    2. Add oil to hot skillet.
    3. You want it really hot so as to brow the meat quickly.
    4. Take a paper towel and dry both sides of the roast.
    5. Season with salt and pepper or your favorite Cajun spice .
    6. Once the skillet is nice and hot, add the roast.
    7. Allow to brown about 2 to 3 minutes, do not lift, use tongs to peek.
    8. When well browned, use tongs & spatula , to flip over. Brown that side 2 to 3 minutes.
    9. Transfer roast to slow cooker. Deglaze bottom of pan with about 1/3 cup cold water, to get all the pan goodness, boil for 1 to 2 minutes to concentrate flavor.
    10. Sprinkle packets of ranch dressing and onion soup mix over roast.
    11. Top with 1 stick butter (just set on top of roast) toss in , over and around pepperoncini peppers and whole cloves of garlic.
    12. Cover , cook on low 8 hours.
    13. Remove Roast when done , it will be falling apart tender , and pour drippings into a fat separator and defat the gravy (important) use as is or as a base with dark roux to make a rich brown gravy for rice and gravy. Au Jus is great for sandwiches / po-boys.
    14. Remove any fat from roast and place meat in a dish with the Au Jus .

Warning, this recipe contains over 1 Tablespoon of salt in it , those on salt restricted diets should avoid this salt bomb.!

Just try it once but only if you can have salt !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-19-2017 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Salt Bomb Warning, omit salt and salted butter
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

My all time favorite chuck roast is stuffed with scallion and garlic cloves. Cut slits in the roast and stuff in the onion and garlic, season with S&P, and red pepper, brown on both sides(don't worry if you lose some garlic or onion) then slow cook via method of choice. Makes super gravy from the drippings!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    My all time favorite chuck roast is stuffed with scallion and garlic cloves. Cut slits in the roast and stuff in the onion and garlic, season with S&P, and red pepper, brown on both sides(don't worry if you lose some garlic or onion) then slow cook via method of choice. Makes super gravy from the drippings!
    That is usually how I do them also, slits , push some seasonings in along with the green onion and garlic, (that's how Parkway does them also). And I usually cook a large roast , like a standing rump roast cooked in the oven , but this 3 lb. chuck roast looks like a thick steak rather than a large roast and just laying the garlic and peperoncini peppers on top of the meat did just fine...surprisingly !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I've done the Mississippi thing. It's pretty tasty.

Boolit Grand Master

I was trying to find out how it got the Mississippi name thing...didn't find out but did discover you can use a 3 lb. pork roast, or 3 lbs. of chicken...using same basic recipe . You don't have to brown the chicken and 3 lbs. of frozen chicken breast ( we always have these handy) won't be over cooked in 8 hours. I'm going to try the Mississippi Chicken.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

That recipe is a salt bomb...and a stick of butter? That's a lot more fat than is needed for a 3 lb roast.

I'm sure it's tasty, but it sure isn't healthy.
    That's my 2˘

edited: So just for the heck of it, I looked up the sodium content of a packet of Ranch dressing mix (2160) and Lipton Onion soup mix (2.0 oz dry weight) sodium is 4880 and one stick of salted Butter has 720 mg of Sodium. So that's about 8000 mgs of sodium for that 3 lb roast...WOW

Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 07-14-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added sodium content
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

JonB = PartyPooper
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    That recipe is a salt bomb...and a stick of butter? That's a lot more fat than is needed for a 3 lb roast.

I'm sure it's tasty, but it sure isn't healthy.
    That's my 2˘

edited: So just for the heck of it, I looked up the sodium content of a packet of Ranch dressing mix (2160) and Lipton Onion soup mix (2.0 oz dry weight) sodium is 4880 and one stick of salted Butter has 720 mg of Sodium. So that's about 8000 mgs of sodium for that 3 lb roast...WOW

8,000mg of salt is 8.0 grams which is 1.44 teaspoons. I'm wondering if that's enough for a three pound roast....charlie

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by charlie3tuna View Post
    8,000mg of salt is 8.0 grams which is 1.44 teaspoons. I'm wondering if that's enough for a three pound roast....charlie
    nice try...

One level teaspoon of salt contains approximately 2,400 mg of sodium.
    so this 8000 mgs of sodium in seasoning mixes and butter is equivalent to just over 1 tablespoon of granulated table salt...lets call it a rounded tablespoon.

Now, is that too much salt on a 3 lb roast for the average American Palate ? probably not, but it is surely too much for those of us with the typical older American Health Problems.

I'm not preaching here and I not telling anyone to 'not' partake in this salt bomb recipe, but I am shouting out to those who would normally avoid high sodium foods for health reasons, who may not know there is a ton of salt in those types of seasoning mixes.

btw, the recipe I recall hearing about, included a can of Coca-cola...the sugar/sweetness would help balance all that salt, besides the acid working on the meat as a tenderizer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

After spending 4 hours insulating the ceiling on my brew shed yesterday salt sounds good! Been craving it today which is telling me I am salt deficient after pouring sweat for 4 hours yesterday. Soon as I got my head above the ceiling joists the temp went to 110 degrees...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    JonB = PartyPooper
    Us Cajuns don't know doodley-squat about healthy cooking, but we do know how to pass a good time !

Party on Fishman !
    Gary

I added a Salt Bomb warning to the recipe and changed the butter to unsalted butter, omitted the salt and called for salt free seasoning
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-19-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

I added a Salt Bomb warning to the recipe and changed the butter to unsalted butter.
    Gary
    Great. Now I gotta add more salt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Great. Now I gotta add more salt.
    I can't win

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I admit it, I am a saltaholic! Certain foods are better salty! Like cold leftover meatloaf.

Boolit Grand Master

I admit it, I am a saltaholic! Certain foods are better salty! Like cold leftover meatloaf.
    Me Too !
    My favorite is a next day meatloaf sandwich , on white bread with mayo ! It's always better the next day .
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Got it right but no mayo! Ketchup!

Boolit Grand Master

Got it right but no mayo! Ketchup!
    Yes , you are right....I got to thinking about it and I do top off the meat loaf with extra ketchup, but I also have to have a little mayo on at least one slice of bread.....I'm both a saltaholic and a mynezaholic (mynez is how some folks from around New Orleans pronounce mayonnaise). I picked it up from my wife. I have a major mayo addiction !
    My daughter got the mayo addiction from me...we like to eat our French fries with a mix of catsup and mayo, I'll eat them with straight mayo .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    After spending 4 hours insulating the ceiling on my brew shed yesterday salt sounds good! Been craving it today which is telling me I am salt deficient after pouring sweat for 4 hours yesterday. Soon as I got my head above the ceiling joists the temp went to 110 degrees...
    I've worked outside most of my life. In the summer, what I found works best for me was: I would mix frozen concentrated pink lemonade and water according to the instructions, then I would add 75% of the Gatorade powder recommended to add to water to the lemonaide.
    You get a bunch of goodies that help your body through the heat

Moderator Emeritus

I can't stand the taste of Gatorade BLECH

Boolit Master
    When you perspire and lose electrolytes, sodium salt is not what your body needs. Far be it from me to tell anyone else what to do; if your heart is healthy your body can deal with the sodium.

However after 31 years working in the high heat envirnment of a papermill and rotating shiftwork to boot, mine is not. I put myself in the ER after ignoring my doctor's salt warnings...a person would be far better off eating a few slices of Watermelon than indulging in a salt binge.

The bosses in the old days would pass out salt tablets; there was a dispenser on the wall next to the water cooler on the job (they also handed out dexedrine tabs or "crosstops" on graveyard shift).
    You can purchase healthy electrolyte powders to mix with water too this one is sodium free and tastes OK--I hate Gatorade too plus it's loaded with sugar...Here:

https://www.puritan.com/sports-and-d...on-lime-033564

8,000 mg sodium in a 3-pound roast is 1300mg per 8-oz serving of roast, assuming you use the drippings for gravy. Tasty but definately not something a person with CHF could handle.
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 07-22-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast