WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surpriseingly Good Slow Cooker Pot Roast ( aka Mississippi Pot Roast)

Moderator Emeritus

I have no issues with salt, in fact I am often low on it. One of my meds strips a lot out of my body. Heart is healthy other than an occasional long QT...

Boolit Grand Master
    Tried it with chicken tonight. Was a bit salty, couldn't find the salt-free cajun seasoning. also, should have added about a cup and a half of water to it too, barely any "au jus"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Tried it with chicken tonight. Was a bit salty, couldn't find the salt-free cajun seasoning. also, should have added about a cup and a half of water to it too, barely any "au jus"
    Thanks for posting , I'm set to try the chicken thing and will add some liquid to it . Plan to serve the gravy over rice , that should help with the "salt" and since I'm a saltaholic , I like salty tasting things. I lick the rim of my Margarita glass !
    Did you use unsalted butter ?

For salt free cajun/creole seasoning mix up :
    3 Tab. Paprika
    2 Tab. garlic powder
    2 Tab. onion powder
    1 Tab. dried basil
    1 Tab. dried oregan
    1 Tab. cayenne (red) pepper
    1 Tab. black pepper
    1 Tab. white pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried mustard (powder)
    store in an air tight container, leave out anything you don't like.
    Totaly salt free.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Been making a variation on that recipe for 17 years now. can't remember where I first learned it from though. but shared it many times and seen it called many things over the years.

roast
    packet of ranch dressing
    packet of french onion soup
    1/2 packet au jus mix
    pepperocini peppers
    stick of butter

One of the family favorites that always gets requested wen we all get together.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Got it right but no mayo! Ketchup!
    I prefer both....ketchup and Mayo on my meat loaf sandwich!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Banned

How does this do with venison? I have a roast in the freezer I've been wanting to try something with.

That's a good sounding recipe. I bought myself a brand new dutch oven and this sounds like a good way to break it in.
    Although, I might have to drop some new tators in there too.

This whole "Mississippi" roast thing is a hoot. Some woman from Mississippi cooked a roast low and slow and made a video of it and that is how it got started.

Now hear this: Every woman or man in the South has been cooking this way since the mind of man rememberth not. It is not unique to Mississippi. You cook a roast either beef or pork low and slow until it falls apart.

There are a jillion ways to do it. It can be cooked in a Dutch Oven on an open fire, in the range oven or in a slow cooker. Here is how we do it;

1. Flour and brown the roast in hot oil or grease.
    2. You can either cook it in the browning pot or transfer it to a slow cooker.
    3. Take some Onion soup or Onion gravy mix about two packages mixed with water.
    4. Pour this over the roast and add water until the liquid is about half way up the roast.

If put in an oven cook at 350 for about four hours, then turn down to 275, add onions, potatoes, carrots, corn ears or whatever and cook for about another two or three hours. You can't over cook this thing. You might want to check every few house to see if you need to add some more liquid. Cook it until you can stick a fork in it, shake the fork and the meat falls apart. Oh yes, put the lid on the pot the entire time.

If you put it in a slow cooker, cook on high until you go to bed and turn it down to low and let it cook all night long. In the morning turn it up to high until about noon and then back to low until supper time. Add the veggies about noon on the day you will eat the thing.

This is just basic Southern cooking friends. I have eaten some decent Yankee food, but they sure don't know how to cook meat proper until it falls apart. We all learn these things from watching our mothers and grandmother in the kitchen. As a child, with no TV to watch, I sat in the kitchen and watched my grandmother cook. As I got older she had me help her. Nobody ever taught me to cook, I just caught it as a part of childhood.

When I cook a roast I do it in the oven in a cast iron pot. When the Beloved Redhead does it, she uses a slow cooker. It all turns out the same.

We have some a dear friend from Minnesota who comes down here for the winters. She is 77 years old and one day she called and asked how long to boil potatoes. She was asking how many minutes. My wife turned to me and asked how long do we boil potatoes. Neither one of us knew the time. The answer is, until you stick a fork in them and they are done.

Down here in Texas, we may not eat healthy, but we cook some darn good groceries.

BTW: The liquid in the bottom of the pan we pour over the meat is called "pot liquor", by old time Southern cooks. None of this Frog lingo for us.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 07-26-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    How does this do with venison? I have a roast in the freezer I've been wanting to try something with.
    Cook any red meat low and slow until it falls apart.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

"Liquid gold" is what we call it.
    And as far as cooking goes, I'm with Char-gar!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Should be a winner, add 1/2 cup of water because venison is so much leaner than beef.
    Or better yet...wrap that venison roast in bacon ! Yeah ...that's the ticket !
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Venison is going to need some fat or it will dry out. Bacon works well, I cut slits into the venison then use a Popsicle stick to stuff bacon slices into it. Or use a larding needle if you own one(I don't... hmm a kitchen gadget I need to replace, I broke my old one)

Or, you can use an injection needle with bacon fat.
    I mean.... just since we're talking about eating healthy and all.

Boolit Grand Master

It's 100% all natural , it can't be too bad for you.
    Around here we fry pork fat in pork fat, salt it a little and call it a snack ! Cracklins R Good !
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

We got 4 huge chicken breast with the bones in and skin on at the store yesterday , in the morning I'm going to put them in the crock ala Mississippi style with a little extra liquid and see what develops ,
    Stay tuned for Mississippi Crock Pot Chicken report !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
    1 - 3 lb. Chuck Roast
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt Free Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
    1 - pkg. dry ranch dressing mix
    1 - pkg. dry Lipton onion soup mix
    1 - stick (1/2 cup) butter, unsalted
    8 to 12 Peperoncini peppers (they come in a jar)
    4 - whole cloves garlic - peeled
    I made this recipe (verbatim) this past weekend. The only major change was that I used a 'camp' dutch oven outside instead of a crock pot. Oh.. I put in carrots and tators too.

As usual, I salted the meat like I normally would. But then I used salted butter and salted everything else. Gotta say, I'm middle-aged and salt intake hasn't gotten on my radar yet. But wow, this was salty! So yea, I have to agree that it should be tamed down as far as that's concerned. But it's a great recipe and will be doing it again.
    Thank you!

Boolit Grand Master

Mississippi Crock Pot Chicken:
    The roast was good so we tried the basic recipe with chicken, this is what I used:

4 huge chicken breast (the 4 weighed 4.83 lbs.) bone in and skin on.
    garlic powder
    1 pkg. dry Au Jus gravy mix
    1 pkg. dry ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg. dry Liption Onion Soup mix
    4 teaspoons Kary's Dry Roux (optional: roux simply thickens and flavors the gravy )
    1 can Campbell's condensed Beefy Mushroom soup
    1 stick unsalted butter
    6 Peperoncini Peppers (optional: I liked them in the roast so used them)

1.) Rinsed , patted dry and lightly seasoned the breast with garlic powder. Placed two breast in the bottom of the crock pot (that's how big they were) and sprinkled 1/2 of the gravy mix, ranch dressing mix , onion soup and dry roux on them. Add the other two breast and sprinkle with the remaining gravy, ranch dressing, onion soup mix and dry roux.
    2.) Shake Beefy Mushroom soup up well and pour around chicken into bottom of crock pot. Top chicken with stick of unsalted butter and scatter the peperoncini peppers around.
    3) Cover and put on low 6-8 hours, chicken will be very tender.
    When done gently remove chicken to a platter and pour gravy into a separator to remove excess grease.
    We cooked white rice to go with the gravy .

This recipe was even better than the roast.... but I enjoy chicken and gravy.
    Sorry no photo's ...just try it, if you are not on a sodium restricted diet.
    I didn't find it too salty, maybe the unsalted butter, no added salt and serving with plain white rice helped...it tasted great to me!

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

I just put 4 Red Pepper Seasoned Chicken Quarters and Two Breast, all with Skin on & on the Bone, into the Crockpot using gwpercl's above listed recipe. Didn't have any Kary's Dry Roux or Beefy Mushroom Soup, so subbed in Cream of Chicken ..... We will see how it goes & report back later
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Buddy

The results were OUTSTANDING, I paired the Crockpot Chicken with xringshooters Smashed Tators and a Green Salad ..... Live is GOOD on the Mountain
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnfolk75 View Post
    The results were OUTSTANDING, I paired the Crockpot Chicken with xringshooters Smashed Tators and a Green Salad ..... Live is GOOD on the Mountain
    My chicken came out outstanding also. It was better the next night when we made sandwiches !
    Used some fresh French bread , poured a little gravy on the shredded chicken and as I was eating I thought...."this is one of the best po-boys I have ever eaten" . I made another the next night and it was just as enjoyable. I like the chicken better than the roast.
    Wife wants me to do a Pork Roast next !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast