Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to strip bluing

Boolit Man

Best way to strip bluing

I have a Traditions Pennsylvania Long Rifle (50 cal flintlock) that I would like to brown the barrel. What is the best way to remove the existing blued finish?

Thanks...

Vendor Sponsor

loan your gun to a friend

degrease first with say ...brake cleaner

white vinegar completely submerge of about 15-20 minutes .. turns orange take out wipe off with paper towel repeat
    and repeat till all bluing is gone then run under water to neutralize the vinegar

No joke.. Taco Bell hot sauce same as above
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 07-13-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it go as I have brake cleaner and plenty of white vinegar. I like the rifle but it would look better browned...

Vendor Sponsor

heres a link to a method similar

http://m1-garand-rifle.com/debluing/
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I either submerge in white vinegar or wrap in layers of paper towel and soak well with white vinegar - have donate a number of times on barrels as well as cap and ball revolvers when getting ready to "antique' them - works very well.

Boolit Grand Master

I use plain old toilet bowl cleaner brush it on and hose it and the blue off.

Boolit Bub
    I think bleach works too. Cleaned a pietta navy using a bucket of soapy water my wife had been using to clean some stuff with. Turns out it had bleach in it and took most of the bluing off. Oops. Does look more authentic and beat up now.

Boolit Grand Master

Anything that removes rust will work. Bluing is essentially a type of rust. I was cleaning my gun one day and heard how Windex worked well and thought I would give it a go. Couldn't find it but found some kind of "green" cleaner for the bath room. Some dripped down the side of the gun and removed the brown that fast. I didn't know it also dissolved rust. So I ended up having to rebrown the whole thing. I would think lemon juice with the citric acid would work too. Coke will also work but takes a day or so and if left long enough starts dissolving the metal too. Some people like that effect because it gives the gun kind of a rough finish, making it look aged. Just get piece of PVC pipe just big enough to fit the barrel in and cap it. Plug the barrel good so the bore doesn't get damaged because it will start dissolving and get rough. Check it every day. Rinse good when it's where you want.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    tallwalker mentions bleach - I'm not debating what he is saying but am just asking a question. It seems to me many years ago I read whee bleach applied to bare steel will cause pitting - I think what I had read was in regards to a guy who forged knives and would "Antique" them with bleach which caused shallow pitting? Anybody have any experience with that at all or am I remembering it wrong (which could be)?

tallwalker - like you, I wash my C & B evolves in a bucket of hot soapy water. I was cleaning my Pieta 1858 Remington Navy last year and when it was all cleaned, dried and I got ready to oil it, I had a streak of missing blue fro the muzzle almost back to the frame on the side flat f the barrel that was missing the blueing. I never did figure out wha caused it as the buckets new and it was just hot water and mild dish detergent. Not a big issue as I'm going to strip it when I have time.

Not that it has anything to do with the OP's post but this is my Uberti '51 Navy that I stripped with vinegar, lightly polished and "browned" with Birchwood Casey PlumBrown. I was going to do some "aging" of the finish on the sharp areas but that will happens it gets holster wear anyway and I liked the way it looked so much that I just left it the way it turned out. I've done the same thing on other barrels, etc. Everybody likes different things but just thought I'd show how it turned out. One of the best '51 Navies I have ever owned.Attachment 199648Attachment 199649

Boolit Master
    Evaporust, available at any auto parts store, works wonderfully for both rust and bluing.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master
    Try Naval Jelly.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    tallwalker mentions bleach - I'm not debating what he is saying but am just asking a question. It seems to me many years ago I read whee bleach applied to bare steel will cause pitting - I think what I had read was in regards to a guy who forged knives and would "Antique" them with bleach which caused shallow pitting? Anybody have any experience with that at all or am I remembering it wrong (which could be)?

tallwalker - like you, I wash my C & B evolves in a bucket of hot soapy water. I was cleaning my Pieta 1858 Remington Navy last year and when it was all cleaned, dried and I got ready to oil it, I had a streak of missing blue fro the muzzle almost back to the frame on the side flat f the barrel that was missing the blueing. I never did figure out wha caused it as the buckets new and it was just hot water and mild dish detergent. Not a big issue as I'm going to strip it when I have time.

Not that it has anything to do with the OP's post but this is my Uberti '51 Navy that I stripped with vinegar, lightly polished and "browned" with Birchwood Casey PlumBrown. I was going to do some "aging" of the finish on the sharp areas but that will happens it gets holster wear anyway and I liked the way it looked so much that I just left it the way it turned out. I've done the same thing on other barrels, etc. Everybody likes different things but just thought I'd show how it turned out. One of the best '51 Navies I have ever owned.Attachment 199648Attachment 199649
    Yep, bleach really does a number. In addition to removing a good bit of the bluing, everywhere there was a fingerprint or black powder residue was attacked by the bleach and raised a mottled looking surface rust spot. If I had left it in there long enough I am sure it would have deepened into pitting in short order. Yes, I believe it would work well if that is what you want to do inentionally. Just controlling it would be the thing to be careful off. Anyway, lesson learned for me.

Boolit Master
    Wire wheel.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I brush on muriatic acid, works well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Plus 1 on Evapo-rust

Or Brownells steel white in heated tank as we used in the blue shop. Took 20 minutes and then into the blue tanks after rinse.

Boolit Man
    Thanks everyone. Any favorite for a cold Browning solution?

Boolit Master

Never tried it, but have read the oven cleaner will remove blueing. Oh, so will deer blood!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Thanks everyone. Any favorite for a cold Browning solution?
    Brownells Oxpho-blue

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Try Naval Jelly.
    +1 on the Naval Jelly. Very quick and you can get it at any hardware store.

Boolit Buddy
    Laurel Mountain Forge gives the best finish of any browning agent I've tried. It takes a few days but the results are really nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast