RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet Casting Temperature

Boolit Master

I have one , I use it to check some things the chart it has to set settings changes readings and i do use it as a informational tool , but even the dial thermometers can be off also , had one read accurate and about a month ago it was way off , not sure what happened but I tend to set temp. setting and go cast by cast , yes I have pid that I use but casted for years without and still go by what bullets tell me , mould temp is important , start there adjust pot as needed , let the mould and the alloy guide you and when you find it the product will show you and and you will not worry about what temp. your device says.

I cast boolits from range lead ingots, I set my pot at 760° (built in PID) and put my mold on a platter type hot plate when I plug the melter in. I usually find something else to do for an hour and when I get started everything is up to operating temperature, I have also discovered that the lead stream from the pot needs to be quite slow and aimed at the beveled edge of the hole in the sprue plate. I am learning more and more as I experiment. I have no bad boolits, if I do not like one it just goes back into the melt. This is my formula for Lee 356-124-2R which I powdercoat for my 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post
    I cast boolits from range lead ingots, I set my pot at 760° (built in PID) and put my mold on a platter type hot plate when I plug the melter in. I usually find something else to do for an hour and when I get started everything is up to operating temperature, I have also discovered that the lead stream from the pot needs to be quite slow and aimed at the beveled edge of the hole in the sprue plate. I am learning more and more as I experiment. I have no bad boolits, if I do not like one it just goes back into the melt. This is my formula for Lee 356-124-2R which I powdercoat for my 9mm.
    760° is right where I found the "sweet spot" with range recovered lead also. My Lyman Mag 25 heats 40 degrees low compared to set temp. Initially I was getting some very ugly casts until I cranked the temp setting to 800-810, and when I checked the actual temp with a calibrated digital thermometer it was reading 750-760 degrees. All my aluminum molds cast nicely at that temp with the exception of the 70 to 80 grainers which work best with a lead temp about 10 degrees higher.

Boolit Master
    Someone mentioned mould temp...the difference between melt and mould temp is important hence the rate at which you cycle the mould. I have heard of going hot but that also affects the as cast diameter and in pure lead can give you smaller than desired castings. That changes with the addition of antimony and those expand on cooling. I suppose the answer is do what yoy like , just be consistent...

Boolit Master

Well at least the upgrade didn't break the ability to necropost lol. 11 years, wow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12